Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What D series owners (D16z6 and D16y8) have either a Skunk 2 or an Edlebrock intake manifold. I am looking for issues and quality answers. This is for people who know just give me some insight. Looking to purchase. I do have a CAI on a EG hatch. :bh

·
Registered
478 Posts
u dont need the intake manifold if all you have is a CAI.

http://sohchonda.com/articles/articles.php?article=0008

theres a good article about the edelbrock with some mention of the skunk2 in comparison. a good read from Brad. (over bore high boost z6 motor in use with that edelbrock mani... )

as i said, either one is way overkill on a stock motor however.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i agree wit 4dr an intake mani is over kill wit a cai your better off getting a header as for what you asked i have the skunk2 im the only problem i had wit it is cos the runners are longer under acl unless ya have some decent engine mounts it vibrates agenst the the brake prop valve can be anoying to start but ya get used to it untill ya get stronger mounts

·
Registered
478 Posts
the z6 manifold is a great manifold right out of the box and most people never come close to exceeding its limits even with forced induction.

this is why i run them on both my civic and crx.

·
Registered
37 Posts
4dr said:
the z6 manifold is a great manifold right out of the box and most people never come close to exceeding its limits even with forced induction.

this is why i run them on both my civic and crx.
shhhh :kick

·
Registered
478 Posts
inmycivicex said:
the Y8 is better :p
"why" is it "better".

the term "better" is used incorrectly here...

the plenumn is slightly larger... but do you know what increased plenumn size means and doesnt mean? Have you ever read about fluid mechanics?
do you know about the relationship between runner design and intake air velocity?

put up or shut up. im all ears. (anyone else stay out of it until he rings in) he has google, and a search button..

lets see what he comes up with..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mods. CAI,Crower stage 2 cam,springs,retainers and full exhaust. I will have to retune my VAFC. Just bought a FPR and i am looking into injectors. That is why i am curious about being able to keep my CAI. I will most likely get the Edelbrock IM.Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
oh if you have all those mods then I've heard good things about the edelbrock IM.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I have the Edelbrock Performer X manifold on my y8. Other bolts on include a CAI, header, and exhaust. The manifold really shines in the upper rpm's (5700rpms is where it is very noticeable for me), but retains the nice low end and midrange of an OEM y8 manifold.

·
Registered
632 Posts
4dr said:
"why" is it "better".

the term "better" is used incorrectly here...

the plenumn is slightly larger... but do you know what increased plenumn size means and doesnt mean? Have you ever read about fluid mechanics?
do you know about the relationship between runner design and intake air velocity?

put up or shut up. im all ears. (anyone else stay out of it until he rings in) he has google, and a search button..

lets see what he comes up with..
u seem like u know your shizit so i want to know what u know.
i have a z6 mani on a d15b2.
what i have heard about the z6 and y8 mani's is that one is better for high end and one is better for mid-range, so thats all i know. and ive heard that the z6 mani is a superd intake manifold and is capable of cooperating with all sorts of mods until you go major engine internals.
so im keeping my z6 mani.
but i want to know more about what i have and what its capable of you know?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
y8 is better because it has shorter fatter runners, and a larger plenum. giving better throttle response. it is build exactly like the type-r manifold except on a smaller scale. if we're talking about heads here, thats another story. but stock for stock, the y8 manifold is superior. aka-(type r manifold of the d-series) there is a time when too big becomes overkill, but the y8 is no where near that, and seeing as the z6 HEAD flows better up top, it would benefit more from the y8 manifold, than the y8 head itself.

fyi- i find it ironic the Edelbrock mani assumes the similar design of the stock y8. (larger plenum, shorter fatter runners)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
pwrdbykmfdm said:
what i have heard about the z6 and y8 mani's is that one is better for high end and one is better for mid-range, so thats all i know.
no, the z6 head flows better up top, and the y8 head flows better down low. but the y8 manifold itself flows better than the z6

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
This is debatable.
And besides that, most would never know the difference even if one was *slightly* higher-flowing in a certain RPM range than the other.

I like my Y8 manifold (ANYTHING is better than a Y7...) but I'm not sure where the talk of "short, fat runners" comes from. The runner design is the same as a Z6, doesn't appear to be any shorter and just because it looks to be thicker doesn't mean the cross-sectional area inside the runners is larger than the Z6.

Basically: if you have a tiny crappy non-VTEC manifold, either one is a fine option for swapping. If you already have a Z6 or Y8, there's no point to changing to the other one. Most will never exceed the flow capability of either one anyhow.

·
Registered
478 Posts
agree 100% with everything you just said...

except:

The runner design is the same as a Z6
negitive.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Well, what are the real significant differences? What I meant was, contrary to a statement made earlier about the Y8 design being "just like a Type R manifold" isn't right. Those offer almost a straight shot from the plenum to the head, while both the Z6 and Y8 have longer curved runners that go downwards from the plenum then redirect towards the head.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts