Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, was looking / searching around but found nothing. i heard it doesn't matter what type of intake you have (meaning brand names) this doesnt really matter. is this true?

for ex: AEM SRI vs NO NAME BRAND SRI...i have seen and heard of people using no name brand or homemade intakes and do just as well. if this is true, ebay has no name SRI for about 10bucks. i rather save a lot of money and use it towards my suspension if this is true about intakes. if not then i guess ill just go with a AEM SRI or COMPTECH. thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ever hear the saying "You get what you pay for"? Well the saying applies to any mod you will do to your car. IMO it does make a difference. A lot of intakes are designed a certain way for a reason and just slapping on an "ebay" intake is not always the best thing because you save money. Alot of those intakes have dyno sheets that prove they make power depending on the setup. Personally I would stick with the proven ones like AEM, Injen, Comptech, DC etc. Research a little bit by going to their websites or search on here at the superhonda forums. I know theres a thread floating around here that has a link to a site that actually compares all the different intakes to eachother and shows which one produce the most power. I can't find it though. When I find it I'll post it here.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Its the first sticky in the teg forums...

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

I went through the same thing you did. There’s not a whole lot of comparing the bobo intakes to the name brand ones in the threads. For me, I think it really came down to the fierce competition in that link :number1 between AEM and inJen that swayed me. They really want to earn your trust, (business) and I feel that’s definitely going to make for a better product. Whether an intake is worth $300.00 is beyond me. It’s not like there made of gold or silver, but to each his own...

Reactions: A_White_GS-R

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
94GeeSR said:
Its the first sticky in the teg forums...

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

I went through the same thing you did. There’s not a whole lot of comparing the bobo intakes to the name brand ones in the threads. For me, I think it really came down to the fierce competition in that link :number1 between AEM and inJen that swayed me. They really want to earn your trust, (business) and I feel that’s definitely going to make for a better product. Whether an intake is worth $300.00 is beyond me. It’s not like there made of gold or silver, but to each his own...

i had a cheapo ebay SRI in my teg, went back to OEM, the filter was a POS, dont trust those ebay no name parts... :noo

·
Registered
659 Posts
its been said many times "you get what you pay for"... there are a lot of posts on here about intakes, so try to use the search... as said above stay with the proven brands like aem, dc, injen, j's racing (if you want to spend some dough)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i guess ill just get a good one, was thinking about the AEM anyway, but when i went on ********** i ran by a thread just like this. everyone says it doesn't matter because AEM or NO NAME BRAND...either way its still a pipe. get a no name brand and slap on a K&N filter and its the same thing...but im going to do a little more research and see whats up. thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had an ebay sri on my 91 si. my thought process was the same, it's just a pipe and a filter - how different can they be. well for one, the fitment was horrendous - the angle was all wrong, it didn't sit where it was supposed to. i took a pair of tin snips to it to correct it. but the hardware was garbage anyway, i would go to check my oil and the filter would be half off because it never fit right. if i were you, i would buy a short ram from a reputable company if you are on a budget - short rams are relatively cheap anyway. if you have some $$ to spend, go for a aem cai or something similar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahh ok, yeh see i dont want to deal with something not fitting and all that. i dont really want a CAI, im not going full race, just a small reliable set-up, basic boltons and maybe cams+gears...thats about it. i think i will go SRI AEM or INJEN...comptech is out my league :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.