Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
CanCivic said:
AEM CAI it is a great intake, good power difference and nice noise.
But a bitch to install...
tell me about it. they give you the pipe, the filter, and a motor relocation kit :hehe

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
AkumaMax said:
Right now AEM V2 a nice intake beast sounding intake. Tad bit more performance. Great for people who are afraid of hydrolocking. I'm going to switch to CAI soon though Winter has shown me the mucho power loss with the V2.
the v2 is a piece of shit. have you actually looked inside the pipe? the secondary outer layer doesn't go anywhere or do anything but resonate the sound going into the primary tube. marketing at its best. sound amplifying and affecting velocity and circulation of air in primary tube?? okay..?? stay with a cai.

and as for the guy with no windshield washer fluid. i don't know if it's the same for a type-s as it is for the base, but give it another shot, it's pretty simple once you figure out how the fluid bracket is supposed to go. hint: you gotta move it all the way to the other side of the car. that's why they give you those freakin' tubes. taking off your bumper is a big plus. having another pair of hands to help you out would be a great thing to have too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea I heard the CAI are a biatch to install but i'm not going to let that get in my way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
AEM V2

My first post...
I installed the V2 on my 04 rsx type s...Contrary to what people think about marketing ploys...you can't tell me that i don't know how my car rides. I'm one of those guys that drives around at the ass crack of dawn purely cuz i love driving it and i love how it feels. I drove it around for a year with the stock air box and after the v2 install i could def. feel a little more push. Not as much on the lower rpm side as the highs. Once *****h opens up u can tell that the intake along with the technology of vibration assisted air induction works to a certain extent. Granted i don't have headers and exhaust right now...but i can really feel the car push itself easier from 5,600-redline. All arguments put aside...we're talking about 1 single piece by itself which everyone knows really does nothing huge to the total performance of the car. So what does that leave....nothing but sound baby...and let me tell you the sound is crazy once the *****h kicks in. I may not have a car with the craziest amount of power but it's funny how some people that see my car and start to test will juss slowly back off once i open up the *****h and let off that sound. The best way to describe the sound is intimidating.

·
Registered
819 Posts
kasual said:
My first post...
I installed the V2 on my 04 rsx type s...Contrary to what people think about marketing ploys...you can't tell me that i don't know how my car rides. I'm one of those guys that drives around at the ass crack of dawn purely cuz i love driving it and i love how it feels. I drove it around for a year with the stock air box and after the v2 install i could def. feel a little more push. Not as much on the lower rpm side as the highs. Once *****h opens up u can tell that the intake along with the technology of vibration assisted air induction works to a certain extent. Granted i don't have headers and exhaust right now...but i can really feel the car push itself easier from 5,600-redline. All arguments put aside...we're talking about 1 single piece by itself which everyone knows really does nothing huge to the total performance of the car. So what does that leave....nothing but sound baby...and let me tell you the sound is crazy once the *****h kicks in. I may not have a car with the craziest amount of power but it's funny how some people that see my car and start to test will juss slowly back off once i open up the *****h and let off that sound. The best way to describe the sound is intimidating.

my VTEC must be different from your V T E C H then...sorry to be an ass but in order to love, you must know how to and in order to appreciate honda's VTEC/ i-VTEC technology you MUST learn how to spell. It' right in your engine bay: i-VTEC. Still to this day the original AEM CAI makes more power. I actually went farther and switched the k/n filter to Apex-i's Power Intake. If only the Type-S intake manifold design didnt have that abrupt ending, who knows how much power that could've net us. I"m more of a D-series guy, but i know k20s just as well. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah i feel like an ass about the ***** thing

Cut me some slack i'm in korea right now...jet lagged as hell....Sorry i don't know what i was thinking...But as far as what your telling me about the v2...it just doesn't make sense that a company would waste any amount of money on marketing on a part that your telling me is inferior to what was already there. I mean they must know that there are dyno's right? and that people would eventually find out what's really going on? Possible lawsuits for false advertisement? Sorry if i sound like an ass again but maybe your telling me this after you took both to the dyno at $60-$100 dollars an hour and actually compared the two with real numbers. It's not likely that anybody would do that for just a cold air intake but there is the possiblity that maybe you did. And no i don't think your an ass for commenting on my vtec mistake i deserved that one...no hard feelings....we're all honda enthusiasts right :)

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
the v2 works because the primary pipe is shortened and made smaller. so, assuming you have a high revving motor, the incraesed time it takes to build up volumetric pressure allows the motor to take the power curve away from the low end and up to mid-high to top end, making your car FEEL faster, but not necessarily the 5-10hp gains that most people think they got.

as for the aem cai, the longer pipe decreases time to build volumetric pressure because the air backs up with more turns it has to make, so it shifts mostly to the middle around 4-5k producing a hump in power that make people think their car got a whole lot faster. but what you don't notice is the slight drop right afterwards, then the continued steady increase of power.

i'm not saying they don't make gains. they definitely reduce restriction in the intake charge a hell of a lot. they just don't make rocket ships out of cars. an intake is an intake. it's the kind of driving you do. if you're a high rev kinda guy, a short ram with a heat shield is best. but if you're a mountain driver like me and need the mid range, go with a cold air. neither is really better than the other. in other words, the difference in the injen short ram and the aem cai isn't night and day. you just lost low to mid with the short ram because of the shorter piping. that means you probably don't redline your car a lot, so you're more susceptible to noticing the midrange gains your cai gave you.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
mRek9R said:
my VTEC must be different from your V T E C H then...sorry to be an ass but in order to love, you must know how to and in order to appreciated honda's VTEC/ i-VTEC technology you MUST learn how to spell. It' right in your engine bay: i-VTEC. Still to this day the original AEM CAI makes more power. I actually went farther and switched the k/n filter to Apex-i's Power Intake. If only the Type-S intake manifold design didnt have that abrupt ending, who knows how much power that could've net us. I"m more of a D-series guy, but i know k20s just as well. 8)
i'm planning to switch over to the apexi power filter too. how do you like it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you flyracerx :)

From the words of a true master...That was my point exactly...I think i also mentioned that there couldn't be more than a 1hp difference if that. It really does come down to driving style. And to reiterate on what fly said the difference is where you shift. The RSX S, in my opinion, is a high reving car. The optimal amount of HP & torque kicks in after 6k so if your seriously pushing the car that's where your shifting...That's how i drive the car at least(but not to any dangerous extent plz don't think i'm one of those a-holes that's pushing a buck something during rush hour)...Everybody drives differently though so i can't say what's the best....I can only talk about what i like the most and why. Like i said in my previous post...I couldn't really notice a difference at low rpm but it shows slight improvement over the stock airbox after VTEC! (sorry again about the whole ***** thing...it must of stuck in my mind cuz of somebody with the picture of the phone and the vtec valve cover,like i said i just flew overseas and i'm still jetlagged as hell) kicks in.

·
Registered
819 Posts
kasual said:
Cut me some slack i'm in korea right now...jet lagged as hell....Sorry i don't know what i was thinking...But as far as what your telling me about the v2...it just doesn't make sense that a company would waste any amount of money on marketing on a part that your telling me is inferior to what was already there. I mean they must know that there are dyno's right? and that people would eventually find out what's really going on? Possible lawsuits for false advertisement? Sorry if i sound like an ass again but maybe your telling me this after you took both to the dyno at $60-$100 dollars an hour and actually compared the two with real numbers. It's not likely that anybody would do that for just a cold air intake but there is the possiblity that maybe you did. And no i don't think your an ass for commenting on my vtec mistake i deserved that one...no hard feelings....we're all honda enthusiasts right :)
dude..i apologize man, i had a rough morning...hehe..what the hell am i talking about..i have a SRI....hahaha :bh ....it's gotta be the World Selects...8)

·
Registered
819 Posts
flyracerx said:
i'm planning to switch over to the apexi power filter too. how do you like it?

i LOVE it!! it's so nice....except I didnt buy it with the adapter!! stupid me..otherwise i think it's an excellent filter! 8)

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
mRek9R said:
i LOVE it!! it's so nice....except I didnt buy it with the adapter!! stupid me..otherwise i think it's an excellent filter! 8)
yeah i didn't buy it 'cause of that adapter thing. eh.. i'll stick with my aem/k&n for now.

·
Registered
819 Posts
flyracerx said:
yeah i didn't buy it 'cause of that adapter thing. eh.. i'll stick with my aem/k&n for now.
haha k&n still one of the bests!! I made my own adapter, looks ghetto but works like a charm!! maybe i'll make a DIY haha. 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gutted Stock Box w/ Green Drop-in

WHAT I GOTS:
Well, my "modded intake" is Hondata style stock airbox w/ GREEN drop in.
Well worth it, spent total of $50 and 1/2 hour of my time. AND, I still have a stock box and (2) filters for when I sell it.

WHAT'S IT LIKE:
Compared to totally stock setup, it is more responsive from 3K RPM and up. Definitely pulls harder. Don't get me wrong, still no torque-monster, but feels bit stronger all the way around. Why'd I go this route??? Love Honda's and can appreciate a well-tuned Honda, but not a big tuner myself. Just wanted to make my car a better daily driver. This mod took a step towards that goal. After I go Hondata #4, I should be satisfied. Overall, this is NOT the mod for you if you're looking to improve HP figures and/or 1/4 mile times. It IS a good VALUE mod. Pretty cheap, retains look/sound of stock box and no fears of hydro-lock and/or heatsoak.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
aem cai.. i really liked the performance i got out of it and love the way it sounds. only downside is i had to make a lil plate that goes over the driver side scoop so when it rains water doesnt get sucked right into it. id rate it a 10 and would recommend it to anyone! :btu

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a INJEN CAI,i love it the sound n the power.also it came with a replacement bottle.no regrets at all :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
concerns

I had a 2000 Civic SI with an AEM CAI and i loved every second of 5500 rpm+. my 04 S is completely stock and I really wanna throw a cold air on but i have always had two concerns.

1. warantee when acura pops the hood....what can that POSSIBLY void out?

2. everybody tells me not to worry about the rain, but with all honesty, i cant help but worry about the rain.....any suggestions or tips?

Car is awesome, just a little too plain stock....also i feel its almost neglegent not to put a CAI on any VTEC. :)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts