Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 hb i just turbo and i need to know how to hook up mbc i dont want to blow the car up yet and does the color of the spring matter with a boost controller

· Registered
317 Posts
you can only run as little boost as the spring will allow (7lb spring, cant run lower than 7psi)

· Registered
317 Posts
either way will work, put in a new spring it will run whatever the spring is set for. Put the boost controller in and change it as you please. Sounds to me like you need to do more research and go easy before you blow that motor up, get it tuned!

· Registered
317 Posts

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
so can i up the boost with the controller or do i just need to change the spring
why would change the spring in a boost controller? why would you need to do that. a boost controller set to neutral will boost the stock psi. i think you're talking about a waste gate and not a boost controller.

wastegate which uses a weighted spring

manual boost controller which uses a spring and ball bearing.

· Registered
317 Posts
why would change the spring in a boost controller? why would you need to do that. a boost controller set to neutral will boost the stock psi. i think you're talking about a waste gate and not a boost controller.

wastegate which uses a weighted spring

manual boost controller which uses a spring and ball bearing.
I think he meant either change the spring in the wastegate or use a boost controller. Tough to tell, hes not a big fan of punctuation.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I know the spring is in the wastegate it has a 5 pound boost spring i need to know if you can turn the boost up with a mbc without changing the spring
1. your initial question doesn't translate to what you just said here.

2. do you even understand how boost controllers work? what would be the point of having a manual boost controller if you needed to change the spring on an external wastegate to raise boost?

3. a boost controller sits between the wastegate and a vacuum source from your intake manifold.

4. you don't need to be touching a turbo car if you can't understand a basic vacuum system. you'll only end up hurting yourself or the car

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude i got the mbc installed and i looked around to try to figure out if you can add boost to the 5 psi spring couldnt find out so somebody gave me this website. so you do you know ?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
yes if its hooked up correctly you can turn up the manual boost controller and it will boost OVER the spring in the wastegate, boost until the motor blows if you want. You usually can only go I think 7-10psi over the spring, ex: 5psi spring, install a mbc and you can get to 15psi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.