Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...here's a question for anyone out there. I have a 98 Acura Integra DB8. The car was in a bad collision ( clipped on the front bumper by a dump truck, put into a spin, then ended under the wheels of the truck) Well the car was repaired... By STATE FARM...lol for $13,000. Well any way everything in the front was replaced, except the engine and transmission. Well Now my tranny is slipping out of gear in 3rd and 4th. Right into neutral and wont go back into gear. Help me out anyone out there.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
If the gearbox & engine worked perfectly before the crash, then it is fair to say the crash has damaged something. Maybe the gearbox is twisted or something? Any which way, take the car back to where it got fixed, & get your insurance company to pay up for a new gearbox & engine (get them both replaced with NEW items). Obviously the repairer didn't check the car thoroughly enough. Tell them you now have these problems which you didn't have before. Maybe take a friend in who can act as a witness that the gearbox & engine were in perfect condition before the crash. They should fix it for you, after all, that's what you pay your insurance for, right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the car back to the place I got it fixed today. Well they told me they didn't want it back because they don't work on transmissions anyway. I was told to call the insurance company and find a shop which they go through. Anyone in Cincinnati know of a good transmission shop? Maybe State Farm goes though?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda wants nothing to do with this transmission, either does Acura. They told me (because it was under the Acura TLC warranty) that the transmission is no longer covered under warranty because the car has Comptech Headers/Exhaust and AEM Cold Air intake and to take it to an independent shop..at my expense...well its because of the accident which State Farm Refuses is why the problem came up so I am going into an appeals process with them.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Yeh, get your insurance company to pay for it. The crash obviously damaged the gearbox, so I see no reason that they shouldn't pay for it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
cfox said:
Honda wants nothing to do with this transmission, either does Acura. They told me (because it was under the Acura TLC warranty) that the transmission is no longer covered under warranty because the car has Comptech Headers/Exhaust and AEM Cold Air intake and to take it to an independent shop..at my expense...well its because of the accident which State Farm Refuses is why the problem came up so I am going into an appeals process with them.
That's BS...unless there is UNDENIABLE evidence that the modifications to you car caused the problem they can't automatically blame it on that, basically they telling you to piss off because the mechanicse there don't like working on transmissions.

Besides...Honda installs Comptech parts at dealerships on new cars, and even applies the factory warranty to them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the car to a tranny shop, it was inspected by my insurance company and an authorized Honda Rep. From California... Well honda says there is a 50/50 chance of failure and it also could have been from the wreck. But either way no warranty work will be done due to the aftermarket intake (which is AEM). WTF! Anyway insurance will not pay any money due to the fact they already spent 13,000 dollars repairing a 12,000 dollar car and there is no proof the accident caused it. Either way I have told the Transmission shop to go ahead with the rebuild. Costing me about 1,600. I am having an LSD put on for the hell of it. But I called the Insurance inspector- get this, he is a telecomunications major, never had any experience with transmission and he is telling me the accident didnt cause it!!!! I am currently in the procees of appealing the decission made by State Farm and have contacted an attorney.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH and check out the pics about 5 months ago of me and my baby- this was right after the body shop got done with her. I have put some more money into since then...LS/Vtec MUAH*. Anyway Its the only 4 door silver integra on the forum (they are under forum pics)

·
Registered
514 Posts
dude most insurance companies are rip offs they are quick to take your money but slow paying out, I if was u, i would burn the car and make the insurance company pay out another 12k dollars for the car thats how u hurt them,
As for the tranny look for a used gsr tranny fro about 500 bucks and put it in,
As far as Acura voiding your warranty for intake. exhaust get a lawyer raise hell with acura , contact the better buisness bureau make life for acura bad

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
cfox said:
...they already spent 13,000 dollars repairing a 12,000 dollar car...
Why didn't they just write the car off?

I've heard about insurance problems regarding aftermarket parts, & it is just BS. However, things that you modified which don't effect other parts should be covered (for example, a exhaust system will not affect the brake system, etc.).

Again, if the damage was that high, then any smart person would be able to work out that the impact stuffed your gearbox. They have already paid more money than the car is worth to repair it, another few thousand for a new gearbox shouldn't make a difference to them.

Good luck with the appeal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the insurance company estimated the damage and it didn't pass the percentage barrier to Total it. But because there was hidden damage and because I DEMANDED the car be returned to mint condition it was in an out of the body shop costing insurance and the body shop way more then it would have just to pay me out...not to mention the damage on my aftermarket parts that I made state farm pay for which was a heffty 6k. So they are pretty pissed at me- but the appeal is already in progress and the lawyers are taking care of it.

As far as the AEM CAI affecting the tranny-- Honda supposedly has a list of companies that has parts that effect the Valve Train. And AEM is on that list, unfortunately AEM does not pass the test honda gives them whereas Comptech Does. That is why we now see Comptech warrantied under many Honda Dealershipss... This was told to me by a Honda Legal Rep. in California....? They said they have tests that could back up what they were saying also. So not only did they not fix the tranny but they revoked the 7 year 70,000 mile Warranty....

·
Registered
514 Posts
cfox said:
As far as the AEM CAI affecting the tranny-- Honda supposedly has a list of companies that has parts that effect the Valve Train. And AEM is on that list, unfortunately AEM does not pass the test honda gives them whereas Comptech Does. That is why we now see Comptech warrantied under many Honda Dealershipss... This was told to me by a Honda Legal Rep. in California....? They said they have tests that could back up what they were saying also. So not only did they not fix the tranny but they revoked the 7 year 70,000 mile Warranty....
Bullshit i wish this was my car iwould raise hell.... Everyday i would go up to the dealership and make a scene i think the reason aem is on that list is politics, whats the difference between a comptech intake and a aem short ram listen you need to put some heat on the dealership call the better buisness bureau, fox on your side etc.... Give them negative publicity it hurts them shit boycott the dealership picket signs etc...

·
Registered
514 Posts
if there is anything i can do let me know if u want me to i can write a letter and complain i have the mailing address for regional honda dealere on the east coast i wrote them before let me know

You might be able to get a pettion on superhonda online

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, so far the attorney's have been meeting, I will also have them look into the Honda/AEM Thing as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts