Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been reading abou changing the final drive for more acceleration through the gears, and it sounds great. The ATS final drive (4.929) is what many people seem to be getting, but I haven't heard anything on the JDM one (4.785 I believe). If I change my final drive should I just go all the way with the ATS? I think it'd be a little bothersome drive at 5000 rpm at 80 mph, but it sounds so good......
so basically, JDM or ATS? Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Just GET IT!!!

The Final Drive is one of the most impressive mods outside of cracking the valvecover and doing Agressive cams. The FD is plug and play though , not needing Any tuning Sans a decently experienced mechanic or someone who knows their way around cars that can do the install.

Although I have Not personally experienced a JDM FD 4.785 I have been told by countless people with them that they are nice but not the staggering difference that is the 4.929.

Things to consider are either a whole New gear set 1st through 5th and keeping the stock 4.40 FD, which BTW will cost More than the ATS/FD or

Doing what alot of us do and Add the ATS 4.929.

Since you have read about it already I won't bore you with numbers and comparisons, I'll let you ask what you like. And you obviously know that it fits very will with the ITR, it's gearing and for NA applications. I would NOT suggest it for SC or Turbo Nor would I suggest it for 1/4 mile drag racing. It is designed to power you up into the higher RPM Faster where you make more power and can utilize the motors output. IDEAL FOR AUTOCROSS AND COURSE RACING! The low end response and torque feel is gobbs better and there is NO BOG anymore nor is there any lag in gears or the need to downshift as often around town and almost never a need to downshift into 3rd on the highway.

I had my ATS done last spring and have done mostly around the town stuff which BTW is loads more fun and actually easier to drive. I also commute on some parkways at an average speed of 70 - 75MPH COMFORTABLY!!! I cannot stress this enough, it is comfortable and not a PITA. Even crusiing at 80 MPH is No big deal, if you are concerned about noise or driving at higher RPM then you chose the wrong car to begin with. I got the FD mainly for Autocross and some Course driving and HPDE.

I also just drove a 200 mile trip, my first with this mod and was pleasantly surprised at the good gas mileage since constant shifting for inclines is negated, of course an almost constant 75 MPH was kept. BTW at 80 MPH the Speedo indicates 4,800 RPM not 5K.

Once you get used to the car being 450 - 500 RPM higher and thats it 500 RPM at tops, you will not mind or pay attention to it anymore, the power payoff is totally worth it.

In the end the Benefits of the ATS 4.929 far outweigh the negatives at least IMHO and alot of others as well...

Ask b18c5rodney Here, he's had all 3 FD's and loves his 4.929.

Ask me whatever you want, I am also friends with the North American ATS Imorter Yasu...

Good luck,

A.

PS I'm an avid autocrosser and novice track driver, and thats where the ATS/FD shines like Gold....

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
GayHatch said:
why wouldnt you recomend the ATS FD for drag? just out of curiousity
It is Not designed for that purpose. It is designed to get you into the usable part of the powerband quicker and provides torque for pulling out of corners with alot more power to the ground not lagging and bogging and being in between gears like the USDM FD.

Yes it has been used in 1/4 mile fashion successfully But, the possibility of having to shift gears another time will add time to your time.

Can it be used for drag? Yes.

Is it designed for this application? No.

It's for course driving.

A.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1Greyteg said:
It is Not designed for that purpose. It is designed to get you into the usable part of the powerband quicker and provides torque for pulling out of corners with alot more power to the ground not lagging and bogging and being in between gears like the USDM FD.

Yes it has been used in 1/4 mile fashion successfully But, the possibility of having to shift gears another time will add time to your time.

Can it be used for drag? Yes.

Is it designed for this application? No.

It's for course driving.

A.
teg you sure know alot :D

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Kid86 said:
teg you sure know alot :D
Thats because I run the part in question combined to a Toda LW Flywheel.

And I race the car.

A.

·
Registered
192 Posts
1Greyteg said:
Thats because I run the part in question combined to a Toda LW Flywheel.

A.

Is there any difference between the Toda FW and any other brand? I talked to Kenny Tran and he told me it was a waste of money and that I should just resurface my stock one. Maybe he was talking about FI applications. I really think that I will invest in an ATS 4.929 FD but want to know what else I should replace while I'm at it. Should I get the FD while I'm getting a new clutch or do it when I have the moeny?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
kuguyjoey said:
Is there any difference between the Toda FW and any other brand? I talked to Kenny Tran and he told me it was a waste of money and that I should just resurface my stock one. Maybe he was talking about FI applications. I really think that I will invest in an ATS 4.929 FD but want to know what else I should replace while I'm at it. Should I get the FD while I'm getting a new clutch or do it when I have the moeny?
The FW Flywheel Does Make a Noticeable difference.

Which one as for price and weight is totally up to you.

Reducing the weight on your stock one is a possibility but, you need to find a reputible machine shop that has done this before.

The Toda wheel is roughly 9lbs. The Stock wheel is 15lbs. You WILL feel a difference.

Good luck,

A.

·
Registered
678 Posts
would it help though.

would the 4.9 final drive help the 1320? i mean if you can get into the power band quicker, then that shoud equal faster times, also if you have a lightened flywheel, that allows you to rev quicker also, so would that hurt the 1320? and if one raised the revlimiter on their car, with a properly built motor able to do so, and had the 4.9 final drive couldnt that result in longer gears and not having to shift as early but allowing you to stay in powerband? i know it may sound confusing but i tried the best i could to ask the question properly. thanks..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: would it help though.

blueSI said:
would the 4.9 final drive help the 1320? i mean if you can get into the power band quicker, then that shoud equal faster times, also if you have a lightened flywheel, that allows you to rev quicker also, so would that hurt the 1320? and if one raised the revlimiter on their car, with a properly built motor able to do so, and had the 4.9 final drive couldnt that result in longer gears and not having to shift as early but allowing you to stay in powerband? i know it may sound confusing but i tried the best i could to ask the question properly. thanks..
youd have to shift faster with that FD

·
Registered
44 Posts
1greyteg basically hit it on the head, except for the drag part. my personal car, going through the traps with the 4.929, i am at approx. 8200-8300 rpm in 4th making more power, pulling harder than when i had the 4.40 or even 4.78. with the 4.78, i do not think i was over 8000 rpm. with a strengthened valvetrain and a upped rpm limit, there is almost no downside to the 4.93 final. some track, in certain corners will require an addition upshift/downshift, but the benefits far outweigh the faults. happy motoring. :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
if i put this in my civic Si ...what would my top speed come out to be i dont really wanna loose the ability to go 140

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Aaron_909 said:
if i put this in my civic Si ...what would my top speed come out to be i dont really wanna loose the ability to go 140
Let's ask you a question? How often do you actually drive your car 140MPH? And where? Please don't say on open highways.

Depending on which year Si you have your top speed will then be 140MPH depending on the diameter of your tires and wheels.

Heres 2 helpful links:
Gearing/Speed Calculator
&
Tire size Caculator

Tire size and gearing determine your speed in each gear as well as top speed.

The MYTH that the 4.929FD is not daily drivable or able to be used on the highway or for commuting is BUNK!!! I had mine installed and use the car for daily driving and commuting. I do also have a beater but, for reasons other than that the Final Drive is "Non-Functional or Annoying."

Ask yourself this.

Do you want to be fast? Then do the ATS Final Drive. It definately is a Strong mod that you notice right away... No tuning Needed.

A.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts