Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for a 99-00 civic SI, but the insurance will prob KICK MY ASS. My next option would be an Acura Integra. But i've spent all past months looking at civics and researching civics I dont know much on Integras.

Is the insurance same or similar or lower on an integra do you think? AND what about its motor, I know the 99-00 SI's sport 160HP DOHC Vtec (b16) engines. SO what engines do the Integras sport? Are any VTEC available?

AND which year of the integra would be the best to purchase if planning to street race. SO i guess what in asking is what is the best years for the acura integras? what engines do they sport? are any vtec? whats their horsepower? is the torque high? and how do they compare to the Honda Civic's and other misc information. I can find weight limits and such on a diff threat on this site.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
look for the newest integra gsr you can find. They have a b18c engine that makes 170hp. theres also a type-r integra with a b18c that makes 195 hp. Look for low miles with as little modifications as possible.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the 94-96 are easier to mod due to obd1 ecu. The gs-r is 170hp, the ls integra is about 140hp. You can go to autotrader.com and do a comparo there to the si, ls, gsr, typer tec.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
IntegraXTR said:
insurance is going to kick your ass even more with a teg
In most areas I've seen, the Si has much higher insurance that basically anything, even Integras. Those Si's get stolen soooo damn much... it's a lot more in my area and in Cali I know that for sure.

Every other question can be answered very quickly in the FAQs and by searching... that's really basic stuff man.

·
Registered
659 Posts
before i got my teg i compared the rates between my gsr and an si and they were about the same in my area... get a gsr cause they are faster than the si :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a big bonus then I live in a rich ass neighborhood, i'm not too rich myself. I live in a modest condo and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I think the chances of my car getting jacked are far less around here :D so I hope.

I'm sorry if everything's already been answered, I got really frustrated going back and forth with insurance agencies and car dealerships. my friends dad deals BMW's and knows people that deal Acuras and Hondas so I can get a pretty good price on either probrably.

I'll compare them on autotrader later, and thanks to those that responded

·
Registered
495 Posts
A_White_GS-R said:
the 94-96 are easier to mod due to obd1 ecu. The gs-r is 170hp, the ls integra is about 140hp. You can go to autotrader.com and do a comparo there to the si, ls, gsr, typer tec.
96 gsr is obd-II

Get a 95 gsr. easy to mod cause of the obd-ii ecu. cheap insurance and it is faster than the SI. All Si's except for the one coming out ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
oh yeah the 95 gsr is a keeper..thats what i got..insurance is cheaper than SI for me over here..and the shit is quick enough to outrun a civic..and i forgot whether SI is dual cam or single..but integras are dual.. i know ex's are single though..so basically..get a integra!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
vietshorThi said:
oh yeah the 95 gsr is a keeper..thats what i got..insurance is cheaper than SI for me over here..and the shit is quick enough to outrun a civic..and i forgot whether SI is dual cam or single..but integras are dual.. i know ex's are single though..so basically..get a integra!
'99-00 Si = DOHC

All others SOHC

·
Registered
342 Posts
BlackguyNSI said:
96 gsr is obd-II

Get a 95 gsr. easy to mod cause of the obd-ii ecu. cheap insurance and it is faster than the SI. All Si's except for the one coming out ;)
I think this is a misconception. The obd2 ecu's only have a little more code that programs for emissions. Otherwise, Hondata's really got everyone sucking on their p28 OBD1 is the only tuning option when really, OBDII has just as much potential

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I would have to suggest that you get a GSR over a Si. Even a LS and GS has their warrants. The GSR is basically everything the Si is, but more polished up. What do I mean? It has a DOHC VTEC engine, but with a little more torque. It has all wheel disc brakes, but with ABS. LEATHER SEATS as an option in some years...think standard in the later years. The Si is a damn fine car, but do your homework. If they both cost the same for initial cost and insurance is about the same, then the GSR is a better pick.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm only playing approx 2'gs a year for my gs-r and it's full coverage. Even if I didn't owe the bank money I would still keep it full coverage because where I live gs-r's are so wanted its not funny.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
definately consider the theft rates in your area....

where i live its not an issue, so i have liability only insurance...its entirely up to you.....

as for which car to buy, i would go with the teg... my buddy has a 98 and loves it, but i hear good things about the 95 gsr... thats the engine we're running in my other friends civic and it runs like a champ....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just came out of a 96 honda civic into an 98 LS integra. Honda puts a lot more into the acura's than they do their civics. The ride, handling, interior, cabin noise, everything is better. I had the civic for about 8 years and just ownin the teg for a week its like luxury... and I don't even have leather...laff.

Insurance, here in VA I was paying $80 for full coverage on the civic. For the teg it went up to $125, even though its a four door. My ins. told me integra's period are considered sports cars and they're a 22 on the insurance scale of 26 (civic was like a 12). I wanted the GSR but couldn't realistically afford the payment, and the insurance on it was even higher ($180).... But in three years I'm findin me a GSR from somewhere. I couldn't even find a Type R for sale. And every GSR I saw over the wkend when I called on Monday had been sold.

And yes...if another person says they like my car... be careful, b/c they are a hot item, and the ins. company will tell you that too. My cousins got stolen twice, one time in her driveway. And she lives in a 'rich' neighborhood. Its usually the rich kids stealin 'em to trick 'em out.....they've got the $$$.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would go with a 95 GSR, easy to mod and like the others said Acura are more polished. However there is the weight issue. You coould save about 200 lbs if you went with a civic hatch, but its only worth it if you plan on doing alot of racing.

If you decide on the GSR, good luck on your search. It took me almost 6months to find one that was in good condition. (Try to find a nice old lady who never revered over 5,000 :D )

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah no one seems to be dealing GSRs around my area, but uh, I'll keep searchin.

here the 99-00 civic SI is a sybol 20 on the insurance scale =\

I found an old lady selling her 95 SE couple, non vtec =( doesnt seem worth it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
damn right...my 96 hatch was like floatin on air, esp...once I started modin the engine and got liteweight rims on it....*sigh* reminiscin.... I could smoke just about anything on the road takin off b/c it was so light... But the only downside was it was noiser, rode a little harder/rougher, and was more of a 'shell' than car. I hated the seats on a long ride. The Acura is 200lbs heavier... I researched the same thing...

The GSR I wanted, the lady was like vtec?? whats that? It was a 97 with 60K on it.... she was totin 2 kids so I know she wasn't drivin it how it was meant to be, laff. I wanted the vtec for the trade-off in weight. Okay, okay, I just wanted the vtec so I could revvv the sh*t outta of it... The LS has a nice purrr around 4500-5000 but its no vtec. Your wasting your $$$ if you buy an automatic.... no pep! I've drove my old gf's years back, they lag when u floor it....wish I would have known that b4 that 16 wheeler was comin down the other side of the 2 lane hwy.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Elixirs said:
Yeah no one seems to be dealing GSRs around my area, but uh, I'll keep searchin.

here the 99-00 civic SI is a sybol 20 on the insurance scale =\

I found an old lady selling her 95 SE couple, non vtec =( doesnt seem worth it.
There is a one owner GSR going for $7K in a news pamplet where my father works. He told me the car has 90K on it mileagewise. The only problem we know of so far is it is red, which is not to bad really.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts