Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im picking up a dc4 in a couple of days (2 to be exact). i was wondering what is up with a car when its idel is at 1000 and go to 2000 like a person is reving the car. i was planning to get it as a project car for my future daily driver. (turning the car back to stock). the idle stop after like 5 minutes and then when i drive it and stop it happens again. someone said it was a sensor in the manifold? is that it? how much would it be?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o great thanks. do u know where it is at
like is it at the intake manifold? im new to the teggy scene and fixing any engine work. i was mainly into accord cus it was my previous car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
it might also be the fast idle throttle valve (fitv) because its dirty. it causes the idle to fluctuate. are you sure its fully warmed up? because cars will have a high idle if they are not yet at normal operating temperature ( n.o.t.) there is a thread on team integra that shows how to clean the fitv, search it and try it before you go and buy parts, this might be the problem. BTW, the map sensor is on the throttle body, i think its on the top, it should say on it. hope this helps
-quikflip

·
Registered
22 Posts
if its not the map sensor then its probably just the good old honda engine idol.... ive asked around honda/acura technicians and they all say that when the car idols from like 500-2500 (or anywhere in between) as if someone is reving it over and over again, that its just a natural honda engine idol.... dont know why... i dont think anyone does, but every d b or h series engine ive been around for a long period of time eventually does it...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
had the very same surge problem with my civic and a JRSC. Turned out it was indeed a vacuum problem. Check all hoses for cracks, etc. Best way to do it is to get some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold while it's idling and when the spray comes in contact with the problem area it will bog down.

You can find practically ALL the replacement parts for the intake manifold fairly cheap, well under $100 for all of them. But then again, you could simply replace the IM for about as much. Again, don't forget to check your intake manifold to engine gasket area as well, could be damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.