Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short (as possible) I just picked up an 89 Civic DX HB with a b16a swap @ $2,000....not bad, ehh? But my question is more towards body/interior, I'm curious and desperately need to know which parts off other Honda's will fit onto the 89 Civic DX hatchback. Like side mirrors, fenders, headlights, interior, gauge clusters, etc. I'm having a hell of a time finding the stock parts for this car here in Utah and I need some sort of alternatives with other vehicles I can use parts from, thanks for the help in advance and the sooner the better on the info.

P.S. Most importantly I need a gauge cluster so any info on that would be much appreciated, kind of sucks never having a b-series before and not having a tach and knowing where to shift....learning the sounds of the revvs without knowing where they're really at, lol I've got it figured to something like 40mph in 1st 60-65mph in 2nd and 3rd like 80-90mph but yeah you get the point, it sucks and I'm probably shifting too early or too late and thats definetly not good, lol.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you bought an 89 dx hatch with no cluster im guessing it was stripped out as far as the interior goes. If thats the case then you got ripped off, it would cost another 1000 or more to get the interior back in the car unless you found a wrecked dx hatch with good interior for less. As far as interchangability and easyness.....parts from another 88-89 hatch or some parts from the 88-89 crx will fit. (90-91 civic/crx had different clusters and bezels than the 88-89s if you get the cluster and bezel it will work)The crx has different interior, but the cluster should work. I think honda changed up the seat rails between the hatch and the crx, so they would require mods to work. More of the crx suspension and engine stuff is interchangeable than the body stuff. You can try to get stuff from the 90-93 teg to work, but i would stop at the seats from the teg, everything else is a pain.

When i had my 88 crx i changed the seats to integra seats and put an integra cluster in it, which was a tough mod and required a lot of rewiring. I changed the headlights and tails to the 90-91 style but kept the 88 bumper and stock Si lip. Finding small interior pieces was a pain and i never could get the car like i wanted it, so I sold it and got a 94 hatch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has absolutely everything in it, it has a gauge cluster it's a DX so it doesnt have a tachometer. Again I paid $2,000 for it and let me be more clear about it....$2,000 was with everything in the car the b16 fully swapped in and ready to go passing emissions and all. But, $1,000 for the interior? I could spend just around or less then $500 and get the entire interior re-upholstered like new with my own designs....thats besides the point though, car has everything and everything works, I just want to change some things out and need to know what other stuff will fit in with no or next to little modifications to make it work, like I said before having a b16 swapped EF with no tach and tryin to shift at 8k......well being a good guesser just doesnt work (atleast not everytime lol)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ok, i was mislead by your previous post.

The 88-89 civic si/ Crx Si cluster has a tach, but its no good for b16a, the tach stops at 8k. Same for LS/RS/GS tegs 90-93, the 92-93 gsr teg had a 9k tach, but its a pain to get to fit and then a pain to wire(trust me). So Id try to find a UKDM Vti cluster or Jdm Sir. The UKDM cluster will read in mph and the jdm one reads kmh, so its your call. Also the UKDM can be found to fit the Squareish 88-89 bezel, otherwise you need to get a 90-91 bezel so the cluster will fit under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts