Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out a website of a friend and I noticed his custom radiator/FMIC setup. He actually has a side by side setup that appears to be effective enough to cool the incoming charge and maintain proper engine temps while creating a less cluttered frontend. I was curious if anyone has any experience w/ this type of setup on his or her boosted project or daily driver.

Anyone have any opinions on a setup like this??

Edit: I wanted to elaborate on the equipment used. This is straight from his site. "The intercooler, as you
can see, is huge, and a double pass 3" thick internally finned core. It sits next to a 2" thick all aluminum half width
double core radiator."

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it could work for a lower HP application. However that IC isnt getting alot of air at all . which means less efficient

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious but how low of a hp application itr? I know he's currently in the 320-350whp range and he switched to this from the standard setup.
Or are you just saying that up around 400+whp it would be difficult to maintain a cool charge regardless of setup? Not meant to argue, just curious how you came to your conclusion.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It seems to me that most of the intercooler is hidden behing the bumper......yes its huge but may not be as effective as having the traditional setup where the IC is wider rather than taller allowing more incoming air to pass thru thus cooling the intake charge more efficiently.
Nice setup tho......i think it would work well for space challenged low Hp setups.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
honestly i think the IC is even too small for the app he is using it for. but the point of an intercooler is for the cooler denser charge. point of a front mount IC is to get fresh flowing cool air into it to further cool the charge. if most of the IC is hidden and not getting air , its not as efficient. Im sure it works, but the question is how good and efficiently does it work. And im betting not much at all from the looks of it. But it does help if the IC isnt up against the bumper, so the air can kinda flow up the bumper into the IC>

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
that opening is way too small for that intercooler to be efficient.
looks like its about ~4" tall and ~14" across.

to see if the intercooler is efficient take the car out for a spin, and do a hard pull in 3rd gear. then feel the end tanks. the entry one should be hot, however the outlet should be cold. if they're both hot the intercooler is not working.
but from looking at that intercooler it looks like both the inlet and outlet are on the same end tank

can someone explain to me how that works?
what kind of an intercooler is that? this is the first time i've seen one like that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
that opening is way too small for that intercooler to be efficient.
looks like its about ~4" tall and ~14" across.

to see if the intercooler is efficient take the car out for a spin, and do a hard pull in 3rd gear. then feel the end tanks. the entry one should be hot, however the outlet should be cold. if they're both hot the intercooler is not working.
but from looking at that intercooler it looks like both the inlet and outlet are on the same end tank

can someone explain to me how that works?
what kind of an intercooler is that? this is the first time i've seen one like that.

I'm not sure which intercooler he's using, but I can refer you to his site and you can email him questions. He's a busy guy, but he's happy to answer questions.

www.qksltwo.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts