Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was passing by the garage they made a intake manifold with 4 hayabusa carbs for a Mitsubishi Technica, the car revs to 11k just with that. I think that cars rev up to 6,800 something like that, when factory. Think this invention could work on a lude?

·
Registered
50 Posts
dood u need to do a little homework. making an engine breathe better or able to dump more fuel will not make it able to rev higher so to say.
the ability of an engine to rev and make power is one thing and its limit of tolerable revulitons per minute is maily guided by the ability to keep valves from floating, the ability of the components driving the head to hold up, and the ability to produce good flared burns in the combustion chamber.
there is a far better and detailed description about the valve train and its function here ---> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm . btw excuse the run on sentences and punctuation as a whole, its late and i was just browsing as usual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right about that, just wondered if any of the hardcore lude guys here new about this stuff? sounded like a nice invention and very creative to put 4 carbs into a intake I really got hooked with the idea :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
601 Posts
are you talking about ITB's? most of the world has moved on from carbarated engines, except nascar. yeehaw. :rolleyes:

like silverlude said, the amount of air we pump into our engines isnt the limiting factor when dertermining revs. we have solid lifters, as opposed to mitsu's hydraulic, and dont have to worry about valve float nearly as much, but makes the engine slightly noisier. its impossible for a stock mitsu engine with hydraulic lifters to go from 6.8k redline to 11k and be okay, even with your 4 carb whatever. dsm's have a valve floating problem when increasing redline. for the h22, the first limiting factor in raising the redline is the crank, which comes out of balance somewhere in the 8k range.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
well in order to "safely" increase the limit of rpms. I would leave it to Honda to increase it. I WOULD NOT increase the rev limit on an engine thats has any one component stock.

they spent hundreds of millions of hours designing the engine to work at the given rpms they gave us. all the parts are designed for those specs. although you may be able to increase it a little....your asking for trouble if you leave any component stock. One thing that sticks out in my head that might be a problem is piston velocity, and the strength of internals.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was discussing this with one of my friends ( a mechanic, honda tunner), he sayd hondas hold high revs, and with the right setup I could have my car on 9k to 10k revs without any problems, posibly could go higher but it be to risky.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
when you say the engine, do you mean the INSIDE of the engine?

i wasn't saying you needed to upgrade the valvetrain first, i was saying it needs to be upgraded if you plan on revving past the stock redline. you see the stock valve train (springs/valves/retainers) wasn't designed to be revved higher than our redline (safely). what can happen is the force, or actually the inertia of the valve at such a high speed can overcome the valve spring tension causing the valve to stay open when it is supposed to be closed. this is called valve float, which you do not want (obviously) unless you're down with your pistons hitting your valves ;). overrevving with stock springs can also cause coil bind which is where the spring gets compressed to where the coils can't be compressed anymore which puts a lot of stress on the other parts of the valvetrain let alone the spring.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
cOiL said:
most of the world has moved on from carbarated engines, except nascar. yeehaw. :rolleyes:
<Coughinstantthrottleresponseand400ftlbsoftorquecough>

~Peace :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
xavilude said:
I was discussing this with one of my friends ( a mechanic, honda tunner), he sayd hondas hold high revs, and with the right setup I could have my car on 9k to 10k revs without any problems, posibly could go higher but it be to risky.

with the right setup, you can do anything. my buddies b18c5 is set to 9500 rpm, but has a the full toda valvetrain upgrades and a toda timing belt. he runs at near redline for 30 miles at a time and has no problems and is even considering bumping it up a little higher soon.

the h series motor is pretty different than other honda engines and it sounds like your friend isnt too familiar with em.

like i said above though, the first limiting factor in the h22 is the crank.. it doesnt matter what you do to the valvetrain, the crank becomes unbalanced not much above 8k. without cams or higher compression, the power gains by just increasing the redline wont be of much benefit anyways.

taking advantage of ITB's requires a lot of tuning and some kind of engine management, which = lots of $$.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wutangben said:
you're strange...

Im just working my Jdm h22 setup. allready got 1,2000. My lude is a F22 engine, I got the Jdm h22 in the garage, after I make some mods I'll will instal it, just looking for help on every detail of how I gotta make the mods, cant make one mistake, cant buy a new engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.