Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys (and gals.)

New to site with a newly acquired 1997 4 door, 4 cyl, 5 spd that has a power steering whine/groan. A few days ago after driving about 10 miles from work, the steering started groaning on slow turns and when attempting to parallel park. I checked steering fluid and it showed over MAX but the car was parked on a hill and when I checked it cold on flat surface, it was a little above MIN.

Anyway, I contacted the dealer I bought it from and he offered to take a look at it. I drove the car less than a mile away and, of course, there was no noise. Is this normal for this generation Accord? Something I should be concerned with or should I wait to until it gets worse to try to diagnose?

TIA,
eD

· Registered
579 Posts
Are you positive it was ps moan and not a stuck caliper giving a slight grinding noise (can be confused for the other). I had the same car until a pothead decided to drive through my lawn and destroy two of my accords....luckily he was uninsured. The 90-01 were my favorite accords and very dependable. The only other thing that comes to mind since you were not in control of this vehicle it's whole life is I have seen where non honda ps fluid was used and caused a similar moan which would come and go when it wanted. It was not my car so I only saw it occur now and then. I drained the ps fluid for him and refilled with honda oe and viola.....we killed the noise. Could be a cheap fix.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Flush the old PS fluid out, and replace with new. It also needs replaced once in a while.

· Registered
39 Posts
The PS pump usually wines (if it's bad) if it's cold or if you are turning and not moving or moving very slow. Changing the fluid helps the pump last longer, but does not fix the problem. I've driven on a couple bad pumps for over a year so you probably have some time before you really need to replace it unless the whine gets so annoying you cant stand it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I was going to change the fluid with OE this past weekend but had a starter issue so had to deal with that. I'll stop at the dealer and get some fluid for next weekend. I was told to drain from the return hose to the pump. Was I informed correctly? Also, anyone know how much fluid I should get?

thanks again.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
return hose, disconnect,, point at a bucket, open Honda PS fluid bottle, prepare to fill, have a buddy start car, let it run for a minute, then have him slowly turn the wheel lock to lock, keep adding fluid as it drains to bucket, when it is draining fressh fluid, turn the car off. turn the wheel a lil bit, say 1/4 turn. reconnect return line, fill to to MAX line if necessary, put top back on PS reservior. take the car for a quick drive, testing the steering, id just make a figure 8 around a few city blocks, turning left and right.

Drive back home, pop the top of the PS reservior, make sure fluid is at MAX line.

Have a beer, cuz you are awesome and flushed your system.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
BTW best for rack and pinion wear and tear if front wheels are either on gravel/slippery surface, or in the air.

· Registered
2 Posts
i have a 94 accord and i noticed that the PS fluid reservoir is foamy and noise is unbearable when turning wheels.. it all started a week ago when i had my compressor repaired. the mechanic had to remove the power steering pump and the alternator in order to get to the compressor.. he disconnected the inlet hose to power steering pump.. truly appreciates any help on this...thanks in advance

· Registered
10,346 Posts
yeah /\ /\ /\ regular PS fluid will kill a Honda pump eventually

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a 94 accord and i noticed that the PS fluid reservoir is foamy and noise is unbearable when turning wheels.. it all started a week ago when i had my compressor repaired. the mechanic had to remove the power steering pump and the alternator in order to get to the compressor.. he disconnected the inlet hose to power steering pump.. truly appreciates any help on this...thanks in advance
If your car wasn't doing that before taking it to the shop, I would take it back and have them check it out and rectify the situation, that is, IF you can get them to take responsibility for it. I would also take the knowledge passed on by those on this board with you when you go back there.

good luck!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update:
for some reason, no more whine/groan (go figure!). I haven't flushed out the p/s fluid yet but I think I'll go ahead and do so just so that I know that I've got the right stuff in there.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Good plan man

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I spoke too soon. That whine is back. It started up again while taking it for drive after putting the 17's off the Legend onto the Accord. Unfortunately, the Honda dealership was closed that time so I'm gonna have to wait til next weekend to do the flush. After reading other threads about possibly damaging the rack with a deteriorating pump, I think I'll go a head and order a replacement pump, flush out the old fluid, and hope for the best. Should I think about replacing the high pressure hose too? A visual check shows no cracks and it seems to be in good condition.

Any more thoughts?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well, seee how the flush goes. I would do the flush before installing the new (or newer) pump, that way it wont see shit fluid.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good point, mattliston. I'll do the flush first. I just got a call from my mechanic friend and he's got a used pump from rear ended 96. I'll be picking it up from him this weekend but, as you suggested, I'll do the flush first and see how it goes. If it doesn't help, then I'll replace the pump.

Aloha!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update:

still haven't done the flush and the intermittent whine has turned into more of a constant whine. I'm picking up the pump tomorrow and will replace sometime this week. I'll give you guys an update after the replacement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.