Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now that I have finally figured out how to add pictures, I have to introduce you to my recent purchase:

Barbados Yellow (Y-49). This is still the original paint. Tops of the front and rear bumpers are only slightly faded (hard to notice)

Cherry interior. Original floormats. The "C" pulled off the driver's mat when the detail shop cleaned it, and they didn't save it (damn them).

Only use the bra on the hood and not the full mask

That's what I call a clean bay. The underside of the hood looks brand new.

So here's my story. Back in 1987 when I was stationed in Germany in the Air Force, I bought an '88 Si through Military Sales. Picked it up at the port in Germany and drove it back to base. I think I had the first USDM in Germany. Turned quite a few heads. So anyways, I loved that car so much, I decided I had to have another one.

Up until the end of August, I was using a Suzuki XL-7 SUV as my daily driver. I drive 50 miles round trip everyday, so with gas prices the way they are, that was an expensive affair. When it came to finding a new daily driver that was good on gas, reliable and fun to drive, of course a Rex came immediately to mind.

I found this one at a Honda dealership in Mesa, AZ. The guy who bought it 15 years ago (and in his 60's at the time) traded it in for a new Civic. He brought it back to the same salesman that had sold it to him 15 years prior! I saw this on their pre-owned website on a Saturday morning, and immediately went down to take a look. When I got there, the car had not even been to detail yet, but it looked very clean and well maintained. I almost couldn't believe the mileage, less than 99K! And everything seemed to be in perfect working order. This car looks so good, I have had several people think that the car is brand new. They freak when I tell them it's 15 years old!

This car is all stock, and since it is my daily driver, I plan to keep it that way. Besides, at 39 with a family, I'm not into the racing scene at all. There were no accessories that came with the car, and this is what I have been able to find so far:

Full nose mask and bra (I only use the bra, the full mask is a little overwhelming)
Splash guards
Sunroof wind visor (this is the only item that is not OEM)
JDM Center storage/armrest (not yet installed as I have to re-cover the fabric on the lid)
OEM CRX Car Cover (soon to be purchased off eBay)

I'm thinking of picking up a spoiler that was OEM JDM/UKDM. Any thoughts as to whether or not this is a good idea?

This car doesn't seem to have any of the "usual" problems associated with Rexs (hard to open hoods, squeaky hatch, water leaks, etc.), but there are a few things I have noticed. Any comments on remedies would be appreciated:

Seat belt buzzer - Sometimes the buzzer sounds for no reason while the passenger belt is unbuckled. I will probably do one of two things to remedy this. Either just disconnect the buzzer, or remove it altogether by replacing with the JDM map light that mounts in the same spot between the visors.

Rear suspension - The ass end sits higher on the passenger side when the car is empty (I will post a separate pic of this later). The car came with rear disc brakes, and I don't know if it was originally purchased this way, or if the guy had a conversion done. Since there were no accessories, it seems like the previous owner was not someone who would have had a mod done. Does anyone know if rear discs were an available option on the 90 Rexs? Also, it seems that whenever I hit a bump or dip (especially if I run over a manhole cover that sits below the road surface), I notice that the car does a slight fishtail to the right. I wonder if these two things are related?

Drivers seat - This is one of the common problems. The fabric over the lumbar had been ripped, but the previous owner had it sewn back up. Problem is, the foam underneath is deteriorating. Is there any way to swap the backrest between the driver's and passenger's seats, or is it not possible due to the recliner handle?

So there you go, my new Rex. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
1990-91 CRX Si's and Civic Si's came with Rear Disc Brakes. So those are stock, no need to worry 'bout them.

I think a lot of Hondas have that "lean" problem where one end will sit higher than the other, creating the apperance that the car is leaning, somebody is going to have to clear that up for me.

I have a theroy to the seat belt thing. The CRX seatbelts are not supposed to be unbuckled and rebuckled all the time. That's why they say "emergency release" on the buckle. Yes it does look stupid getting out of the car with the seatbelt on, but that's the way its "supposed" to work. My theory is that when the seatbelt is unbuckled it's just doing what it's supposed to do; warn you that the passenger belt is unlocked. (That just my theory though)

And I would just go ahead and get the drivers seat re-padded.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Moon Ill said:
I have a theroy to the seat belt thing.... That's why they say "emergency release" on the buckle.
Interesting. I must've spent 30 minutes looking for that emergency release button/latch. I eventually gave up. It's nice to know i'm not an idiot for not being able to find the "emergency" release, but the fact I didn't realize the regular button is the emergency release is a whole other problem...

By the way, nice clean rex! I'm jealous now. An F-250 decided not to check his blind spots in the parking lot and gave me a fucked up rear quarterpanel... Now i'm looking for a good looking Si like yours.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Rage06 said:
Interesting. I must've spent 30 minutes looking for that emergency release button/latch. I eventually gave up. It's nice to know i'm not an idiot for not being able to find the "emergency" release, but the fact I didn't realize the regular button is the emergency release is a whole other problem...

By the way, nice clean rex! I'm jealous now. An F-250 decided not to check his blind spots in the parking lot and gave me a fucked up rear quarterpanel... Now i'm looking for a good looking Si like yours.
lol, I got backed into by a GMC Sonoma. His trailer hitch missed my hood and got my bumper.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I HATE YOU...that is a beautifull rex, so clean...i want one so bad but i cant find any around me that arent so overpriced or are junk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No mods

86REX said:
VERY NICE my advice NO BODY KIT and get rid of the bra
mad-ass is correct, no mods at all for this Rex as per my original post. However, I understand that my post was a little long, and it was easy to overlook something like that. I won't hold that against you.

As far as the bra, I'm leaving it on for 2 reasons. 1 - I like it. Personal preference, you know? (no CF hood for me) 2 - Phoenix is notorious for rocks. People use them as landscaping in place of grass, so rocks are EVERYWHERE, and are constantly getting kicked up on the roads. The only bad paint spots are on the front of the hood from all the rock hits. At least the bra will offer some protection. Plus, I don't want to have the front half of the car repainted right now.

And thanks guys for the comments and advice so far. :D You know, I thought about that seatbelt thing too. I had a 1992 Plymouth Colt hatch that had those automatic seatbelts that always stayed latched, but the upper door latch moved along the window frame whenever you opened the door (you still had to latch the lap belt manually). Makes sense that the belts should always stay latched. Kinda weird though. Think I'll just disconnect the buzzer. That's easy enough.

Any comments on the "fishtail" when going over bumps? Don't remember that from my '88 Si.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use the Trader

mpcivicfb88 said:
I HATE YOU...that is a beautifull rex, so clean...i want one so bad but i cant find any around me that arent so overpriced or are junk
AutoTrader is your friend. I had actually found a Rio Red Si (which is the color I REALLY wanted :cry ) in July in almost the same condition. But it sold before I got my hands on the cash from my home sale.

Also, keep an eye on the dealer pre-owned inventories. As I said, that's how I found this one. I guess it's easier to find them down here in good shape. No snow to worry about. :D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
crxmanpat said:
AutoTrader is your friend. I had actually found a Rio Red Si (which is the color I REALLY wanted :cry ) in July in almost the same condition. But it sold before I got my hands on the cash from my home sale.

Also, keep an eye on the dealer pre-owned inventories. As I said, that's how I found this one. I guess it's easier to find them down here in good shape. No snow to worry about. :D

yeah up here there either a rust bucket, which i can deal with or there riced the hell out....really all i want is a shell in ok condition....but i still HATE YOU :hug

·
Registered
175 Posts
mpcivicfb88 said:
I'm having the same problem. There are plenty of riced out or beater CRX's for sale in my area, but when a CLEAN rex comes along, it ends up costing too much. I paid 800 for my decent condition DX, and my budget this time around is 1500-2000, but so far nothing has come up that has interested me. Oh well, it will be worth the wait when a reasonably priced good one does comes along.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice find.. and i like the fact your leaving it simple, no mods. As I said before in the past, Stock always looks great.

I havent seen one in this condition even here in Norcal. And yes, all the ones I come across have either been gutted, or molested in some way.

They do offer a clear bra, if your interested I can hook you up with a link. PM me for details. Tell em I sent cha and they will give you a discount!

Ive always find those oem bras scratch some way or another...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dj Blurr said:
They do offer a clear bra, if your interested I can hook you up with a link. PM me for details. Tell em I sent cha and they will give you a discount!

Ive always find those oem bras scratch some way or another...
I had the same bra with my '88 Rex for 4 years, and the only problem I had was that the lettering would get dirty and was hard to keep white. After a while, they looked tan. Never had any scratches or cuts (probably because I'm ANAL about keeping my car clean, lol). And I like the way the black and yellow contrast each other. If I went clear, I would have to get a repaint first. The chips in the nose of the hood are kinda nasty, even though the original owner touched them up.

Here's a couple more pics:

Notice how I still have the OEM tailpipes. Not a bit of rust on the connections (the ONLY thing I like about Arizona). I lost the pipes on my '88 due to road salt rust from being in Germany.

"I'm not speeding, I'm flying low!"

·
Registered
321 Posts
Im curious about your bumper lights. I have been looking for a set like this, but for my JDM front end. I would also like to obtain a set for my stock USDM bumper. Even my local honda dealer here does not have a set.

Are these stock? If so, did it come like that with the car? I havent seen a SI with those in a very long time.

I am actually working on rewiring mine in a way my bumper lights stay on. Possibly a teardown and rewire of the whole thing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I also have my stock tailpipes. I like the look of them since its not too flashy and looks just right on the car.

I have a bit of oil on mine, but not too much. I gotta clean em up from my head gasket problem I had before.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dj Blurr said:
Im curious about your bumper lights. I have been looking for a set like this, but for my JDM front end. I would also like to obtain a set for my stock USDM bumper. Even my local honda dealer here does not have a set.

Are these stock? If so, did it come like that with the car? I havent seen a SI with those in a very long time.

I am actually working on rewiring mine in a way my bumper lights stay on. Possibly a teardown and rewire of the whole thing.
As far as I know, everything on my car is OEM stock. I remember when the 90's first came out, and the front bumper lights were one of the minor style changes that were made, along with the shorter, thicker body side molding, and the outline around the taillights.

I've been debating about whether or not to get things like OEM fogs, power windows, or power mirrors. Not sure if the USDM cars came pre-wired for that stuff or not. If not, I really don't want to bother with a rewire. I know that for the power windows, the JDM and UKDM models don't have the seat belt in the door, so the panels would either need to be modified, or you would have to mod the existing panels to make the switches fit. But I have only been able to find the switches in black, and the USDM panels are grey where the door handle release is. Might look kinda stupid.

I think I am gonna go for the spoiler though. Since it was an OEM accessory on JDM, it should look good on mine, and it's not a common sight here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have not seen a JDM CRX above 88. With the OEM JDM door panels. the only JDM ones I have seen are SIR 88s. I have yet to come across a 89 + CRX with OEM doorcards.

Yea, its not easy wiring up all that stuff. The fusebox is a bit different in Japan, and UKDM models. It is made differently to accomodate all the extra stuff that the US models didnt have.

Keep it stock dude. It looks good the way it is. You can add a couple JDM items that will make this car look fantastic, but dont go too overboard or get caught up like me and youll be fine. lol :

80 percent of my car is JDM.... my CRX is my habit. :rolleyes

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I think after I finish and install the armrest, and get the spoiler, I'm done adding stuff. My wife thinks I spend too much time on eBay as it is.

BTW, I measured the rear end. I'm 1/2 inch higher on the right side, so I'm definitely lopsided. I wonder if it has anything to do with mostly only having 1 person in the car. Who knows?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.