Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bonneville, Utah - Saturn's new ION Red Line quad coupe raced into the record book at the Bonneville Salt Flats on Oct. 17, 2003, establishing a new mark in the G/Blown Fuel Altered class at 212.684 mph. The record-setting Saturn, which is based on the new factory-built ION Red Line sport compact and powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine, eclipsed the previous 183.086 mph record set in 2001 by a Honda Civic by nearly 30 mph.

GM Performance Division launched the Saturn land speed record project to demonstrate the ultimate performance capabilities of the ION Red Line package under extreme conditions. GM High Performance Vehicle Operations engineer Jim Minneker piloted the front-wheel-drive ION Red Line in Saturn's first official record run on the world-famous Salt Flats.

"To set a speed record with the Saturn ION Red Line our first time in competition was a tremendous accomplishment for the entire GM team," said Minneker. "The ION Red Line coupe and the Ecotec engine ran like clockwork. This package has tremendous potential, I wish that we could run at Bonneville again next week. I'm confident that we could raise the bar even higher."

The Saturn land speed record project brought together the technical and human resources of General Motors. The program was led by the GM Performance Division, in collaboration with Saturn, GM Powertrain, GM Performance Parts, GM Racing, and the GM Design Studios in Warren, Mich., and Los Angeles. The So-Cal Speed Shop in Pomona, Calif., assisted in vehicle preparation and logistical support for Saturn's successful assault on the record book.

"The success of the ION Red Line at the Bonneville Salt Flats was the result of a total team effort," said GM Performance Division Executive Director Mark Reuss. "It demonstrates in a very compelling way what GM can accomplish with a coordinated effort that integrates our technical capabilities in engineering, design and advanced technology, along with the energy and creativity of our people. It also shows that the Saturn ION Red Line is a serious performance car, capable of achieving record-setting speed with the same basic architecture."

The ION Red Line land speed record holder will be displayed in the GM exhibit at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) trade show in Las Vegas on Nov. 4-7, 2003. The GM exhibit will also showcase a streamlined Ecotec-powered lakester inspired by the record setting cars built by early hot rodders using the belly tanks (auxiliary fuel tanks) from World War II military aircraft. Designed by the GM Advanced Studio in North Hollywood, Calif., the high-tech lakester is a 21st century version of a classic Bonneville design that stretches the performance envelope with a production Ecotec powertrain. A turbocharged GMC Canyon midsize pickup customized by So-Cal Speed Shop to perform the traditional duties of a push truck at Bonneville will also be featured in GM's tribute to the annual speed trials at the Salt Flats.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
damn... thats a fast fuckin saturn!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
impressive....coming from a saturn....

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
hahahahahahaha

i was thinking that same thing...but gotta give the car credit for the accomplishment.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
primo_civic said:
hahahahahahaha

i was thinking that same thing...but gotta give the car credit for the accomplishment.
Considering its al all out race car(?), I wouldn't give it too much credit

·
Registered
391 Posts
you could make that thing fly and I would still never buy one. Rather than spend the millions it cost for that car I'd rather have them hire better designers to make their car lines look better than shit on a stick ;)

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
infinatenexus said:
Considering its al all out race car(?), I wouldn't give it too much credit

yet no honda can do that....hmm...:)

damn kid...i thought after all this time that ignorant chip on your shoulders would be a bit smoother..

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
LudeAction said:

yet no honda can do that....hmm...:)

damn kid...i thought after all this time that ignorant chip on your shoulders would be a bit smoother..
i thought the same, but i must be wrong.

it's funny how people still talk shit when saturn has come a long way in reliability and quality. i guess their ass is still sore from honda's disappointment. i'm sorry that honda couldn't care less about affordable performance, but you guys really need to get over yourselves.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Ignotant? Whats wrong with not liking a car company that has a reputation for building low quality cars?

i'm sorry that honda couldn't care less about affordable performance, but you guys really need to get over yourselves.
Maybe its due to the fact that the majority of cars sold are non performance models. Why should Honda sink billions into producing a car with low sales numbers? Honda has never been a performance car company, and they never will be. There isn't much money in low budget cars that are fast.

Cars are either fast, reliable, or cheap. You can only have two. Do you think a car company with Hondas reputation would honestly risk building a cheap performace car for people to buy and run ragged?

Maybe you need to face the fact that most peopel don't buy cars based on there straight line performance.;)

BTW: I am not a honda nazi,, I like Nissan much better:tu:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
you're not even worth arguing with. i see that sho hasn't changed much. you probably think a 350z can outhandle a z06 too, huh?

*actually, you are worth arguing with. it's always fun picking on little people.:)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
infinatenexus said:
Maybe its due to the fact that the majority of cars sold are non performance models. Why should Honda sink billions into producing a car with low sales numbers? Honda has never been a performance car company, and they never will be. There isn't much money in low budget cars that are fast.

Cars are either fast, reliable, or cheap. You can only have two. Do you think a car company with Hondas reputation would honestly risk building a cheap performace car for people to buy and run ragged?

Maybe you need to face the fact that most peopel don't buy cars based on there straight line performance.;)

BTW: I am not a honda nazi,, I like Nissan much better:tu:
exactly, so quit baggin on car companies who actually cater to what their enthusiasts want. chevy, nissan, ford, dodge, hell everyone except honda does it. they DON'T make affordable performance cars, so you have no room to talk shit. you're not on this site to learn about honda's reliability. you're here to learn about performance. why do you bring up reliability and 'quality' in every debate? not once have you been able to argue about performance, thus leaving you on your last source for these stupid ass arguments.

some car companies actually have affordable performance cars. a 300whp civic is as reliable as a 600whp ls1. what's your point?

straight line performance, huh? that's your other excuse. since honda has no straight line performance you have to use other excuses. it's one after another with you. without straight line performance you have a poor all around car. acceleration is the main factor in a sports car. unless you prefer a great handling car that runs a 15 second 1/4 mile?

talk shit all you want buddy, you're still the one who remains in the fog. live in denial your entire life and use these excuses everytime you lose a race in a straight line. nobody cares. go to a road course and race 'lowly' ls1's and say the same shit you do on here. you will be laughed at. there isn't time in this world for people like you. always talking shit on other things because you don't have it. you can't even beat a stock ls1 camaro and all you do is talk shit. 'oh, but i can beat them on an autox track.' that's fine and dandy, you still get your ass whooped anywhere else. being ahead in 1 category out of many is hardly an accomplishment.

stay on your high horse. i find it pretty funny. do you see the subject of the thread? it's about performance. do your mod responsibility and STAY ON TOPIC.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
its a known fact that compared to straight line performance, there are many cars that will out due a honda. that being said, performance is based more than one element. if you look at the performance cars that honda builds, there not the best in one or two categories, but the all-around GREAT performance cars. the accolades that the NSX and S2000 STILL get after the time they've been out is a testiment to that. honda doesnt build cars for straight line performance, that's obvious. instead they try to attain a certain balance with their cars that not may other car companies can do and are often succesful doing so.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Flaw said:
exactly, so quit baggin on car companies who actually cater to what their enthusiasts want. chevy, nissan, ford, dodge, hell everyone except honda does it. they DON'T make affordable performance cars, so you have no room to talk shit. you're not on this site to learn about honda's reliability. you're here to learn about performance. why do you bring up reliability and 'quality' in every debate? not once have you been able to argue about performance, thus leaving you on your last source for these stupid ass arguments.

some car companies actually have affordable performance cars. a 300whp civic is as reliable as a 600whp ls1. what's your point?

straight line performance, huh? that's your other excuse. since honda has no straight line performance you have to use other excuses. it's one after another with you. without straight line performance you have a poor all around car. acceleration is the main factor in a sports car. unless you prefer a great handling car that runs a 15 second 1/4 mile?

talk shit all you want buddy, you're still the one who remains in the fog. live in denial your entire life and use these excuses everytime you lose a race in a straight line. nobody cares. go to a road course and race 'lowly' ls1's and say the same shit you do on here. you will be laughed at. there isn't time in this world for people like you. always talking shit on other things because you don't have it. you can't even beat a stock ls1 camaro and all you do is talk shit. 'oh, but i can beat them on an autox track.' that's fine and dandy, you still get your ass whooped anywhere else. being ahead in 1 category out of many is hardly an accomplishment.

stay on your high horse. i find it pretty funny. do you see the subject of the thread? it's about performance. do your mod responsibility and STAY ON TOPIC.

dude, all that hostility....

i think someone needs a hug...hahaha

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
primo_civic said:
its a known fact that compared to straight line performance, there are many cars that will out due a honda. that being said, performance is based more than one element. if you look at the performance cars that honda builds, there not the best in one or two categories, but the all-around GREAT performance cars. the accolades that the NSX and S2000 STILL get after the time they've been out is a testiment to that. honda doesnt build cars for straight line performance, that's obvious. instead they try to attain a certain balance with their cars that not may other car companies can do and are often succesful doing so.
do you think there aren't better values out there that will out perform the nsx? it is a nice car, and i would buy one if it wasn't outrageously priced, but people need to realize it doesn't even out perform a 45k chevrolet z06. the s2000 runs a high 13 second 1/4 mile, big deal. i look at 1/4 mile acceleration as a big factor in buying a sports car. if i want a great all around car, why would i bother with a car that can't even run a low 13? it is a nice handling car, and if you're looking for a tiny covertible then it's cool, but it's not a GREAT all around performer.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
primo_civic said:
look at their categories...nsx..priced more then a viper..yet in no way compares in any performance category..

look at the s2k...in the same pricerange of a EVO/STI/350z/cobra etc.. and doesnt even hang with 3/4 of those cars at ANYTHING..maybe handling is close between those cars..but accell is night and day..

honda doesnt make a bad car...they just need to realize what it takes to impress in 2004:)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts