* 20GB of internal storage†
* Large, vivid color display
* Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers
* Supports secure transfers from Windows Media Player™**
* Rechargeable battery lasts up to 16hrs
* View JPEG or BMP images
* Built-in FM tuner
* Integrated voice recorder
* Record music from any audio source(no PC required)
* Supports MP3, WMA, ASF and OGG music files
* Store or transfer files of any type
* Enhanced 3D audio

got mine as the display model for 249.99

oh yes and with certain stuff....you can play video files on it as well! :D

*NWS*

video!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
welcome to the club. i just bought mine last week, and yes, it fucking rocks, and blows the ipod away. i mean come on:
iriver is 20gb, full color lcd, you can still search by artist, album and genre, you can record voice, and sound from any device with a headphone jack, listen to the radio (even overseas radio with the right firmware update) record the radio, and watch fucking full video, all for the same price to pay for an ipod

iriver >>>>>>>>>>> ipod

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
that thing is simply amazing

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i need to d/l that saerach patch thingy for it. and how do you do the intl radio?? and i cant figure out how to record voice. do i need like an external mic or what??

and i wanna figure out how to add in different skins. i know you can but m not sure how

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
how are the controls on this modle? i've been wanting to get one of these for a long time because it will sync with WMP and that's what i use for all my music.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far the controls seems easy. butthen again i javent tried much. as in creating a playlost in winamp and running it on there. but it seems fairly easy. and upgrading the fireware was a fucking breeze. i didnt think updating the system was gonna be that simple. just d/l and unzipped the patch then moved the patch from the pc to the iriver then press like 3 buttons and bam vioala upgraded

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Seriously nice, too bad it's not compatible on apple's, it don't support AAC files (better than mp3), and doesn't use firewire.
It would be a good competitor for the mac market, if you could use it for apples.
I'm sure they couldn't get the rights for it, plus pc is a way bigger market also.
Looks really good though.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
you can use it with apples. i plug it into the g5's at school all the time. it transfers my PS and illustrator files fine, you can view the pics i have saved, play the mp3's i have saved. the only thing that the mac (or pc for that matter) wont play is the videos. the iriver you have to convert the vid files to an iriver format, so they dont play on other things. but its still all gravy. i was kinda dissapointed about the lack of a firewire port, but the usb2.0 runs great, and still no need for drivers on most newer computers

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
CivicPwR_56 said:
you can use it with apples. i plug it into the g5's at school all the time. it transfers my PS and illustrator files fine, you can view the pics i have saved, play the mp3's i have saved. the only thing that the mac (or pc for that matter) wont play is the videos. the iriver you have to convert the vid files to an iriver format, so they dont play on other things. but its still all gravy. i was kinda dissapointed about the lack of a firewire port, but the usb2.0 runs great, and still no need for drivers on most newer computers
I could've sworn someone said they didn't work with macs. So on a mac, which program do you use to upload and download the songs? I'm assuming it won't work with iTunes.

EDIT: I checked the website, and i didn't see anything about any support for macs. On operating systems, i just mentions the windows ones and only said pc also.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
BabyVadah said:
I could've sworn someone said they didn't work with macs. So on a mac, which program do you use to upload and download the songs? I'm assuming it won't work with iTunes.

EDIT: I checked the website, and i didn't see anything about any support for macs. On operating systems, i just mentions the windows ones and only said pc also.

Probably just mount it as a drive and use Finder.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
BabyVadah said:

its strickly a drag and drop interface. its just like an external HD. when you plug it in, the comp recognises it as a h300 mass storage device. then you select all your songs, pics, files you want, and drag and drop. to be able to search by genre and artists and such though, you have to do a database scan. and with the software that comes with it, everytime you transfer something new to it, it autoupdates the db scan.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ultra/iFP-manager-mac.aspx

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
CivicPwR_56 said:
its strickly a drag and drop interface. its just like an external HD. when you plug it in, the comp recognises it as a h300 mass storage device. then you select all your songs, pics, files you want, and drag and drop. to be able to search by genre and artists and such though, you have to do a database scan. and with the software that comes with it, everytime you transfer something new to it, it autoupdates the db scan.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ultra/iFP-manager-mac.aspx
there's a few reasons why I wouldn't want to get an iriver

1. it doesn't have the scroll wheel, I just cannot live without that feature for it's quick and precise control (that Roger can't handle :lol )

2. why do I care about video playback? 1Hr 40min max battery life as stated by iRiver.

3. why does iRiver have like over a dozen different models? why can't they keep it simple. They need to downsize their product mix.

4. "*Up to 600 hours of music using Windows Media format at 64kbps." :lol

Why don't they mention that they can play video?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
///M3ssican said:

1. it doesn't have the scroll wheel, I just cannot live without that feature for it's quick and precise control (that Roger can't handle :lol )

2. why do I care about video playback? 1Hr 40min max battery life as stated by iRiver.

3. why does iRiver have like over a dozen different models? why can't they keep it simple. They need to downsize their product mix.

Wow, sounds they they trying to trick you into buying one. 64kbs? who the hell uses that small of a quality/size? That's terrible. So it's really like 300hours or less. I was never gonna buy one anyway, (got 3rd gen 10gb ipod) and yes the click wheel and scroll wheel do own, so does the remote controller for the earphones.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
///M3ssican said:

because the US version doesnt allow video playback, so you have to flash it with the korean or european version. i dont know why they do that, something the fcc says theyre not allowed to put in the american version.

and whats wrong with a little selection? as far as the jukeboxes go, they carry a 5 gig, 20, and a 40 gig. just like the ipod mini, and 20 and 40 gig ipods respectivly. they have all those different players because most people dont want to drop 300 bucks on something that plays music.

and as far as the capacity goes. ive got 919 songs, plus over 6 hours of video, and its still only taking up 5 gigs worth, and the music is 128kbs

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
the specs straight from iriver say nothing about 64kbps or battery life at 1hr and 40 mins. where are you getting it from? then there's also extra features that the ipod doesn't have. hell you can even view pics that only a $399 ipod is capable of doing. the only thing that's cool about an ipod is that it's pretty and thin. as for functional use, there's much better solutions out there at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I got an ipod not to long ago for $160 off ebay practically new.. and I looked up a lot of mp3 players before I bought it and I must say when it comes to quality you really get what you pay for.

I bought it simply to play music which is all I wanted it to do... and I don't feel I was ripped off. I love it so far.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
here's why I like my iriver more than an ipod. it does more, and it does it better. so between those two factors, I went with the iriver

1 - 20 of 45 Posts