Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LX with the 106 HP motor in it and have 60k miles on what I think is the original timing belt. Someone told me it is non-interference and will not hurt anything if the belt breaks. I want to go until 80k miles but not if it will cost me more later. Same person told me only the DOHC motors are interference. :bh


BTW.... Is ********** no more? I used to post there but an error when I try to go there now. Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
yes it is an interference engine and u should get it replaced between 60-90 thats what is recommended.. u could get more then 90 or not even get 90.. so id change it around 60 or 70 ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Intercooler2 said:
I have an LX with the 106 HP motor in it and have 60k miles on what I think is the original timing belt. Someone told me it is non-interference and will not hurt anything if the belt breaks. I want to go until 80k miles but not if it will cost me more later. Same person told me only the DOHC motors are interference. :bh


BTW.... Is ********** no more? I used to post there but an error when I try to go there now. Thanks for the help!
no its an interference engine.that person dont knoe wat they are talking about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Safe to say I will be safe to go until 75k then as opposed to 80k? I would like to drive it another year (15k) is possible before doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
Intercooler2 said:
Great! Safe to say I will be safe to go until 75k then as opposed to 80k? I would like to drive it another year (15k) is possible before doing it.
i suggest doing it now but you probraly could ride it till 90k.

i barely changed my accords timing belt when the water pump went out. the belt still looked ok but i changed it anyways.

when u do ur timing belt do ur waterpump as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much of a job is it to DIY? If it isn't too awfull involved I may try it. Wonder what a shop would charge to do the belt and pump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
Not too terribly difficult, but I suggest that you have a helms manual handy if this is your first time. Plan for at least a half day. You should also change the water pump and other accessory belts while you are at it. I'd also recommend finding a buddy who has done similar work to help or at least look over your shoulder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
yea im planning on doing my timing and water pump on my d16z6 before i put it in my car.. im getting my parts from www.majestichonda.com belt waas like 35 instead of at my honda dealer its like 50 and the water pump is 70 at my dealer and like 50 from majestic..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
I suggest if this is your first time doing it you should plan atleast a whole day to it.. there are somethings that will give you maybe alittle bit of a hard time. (getting the crank pulley bolt off). but its not difficult at all if you got instructions. Oh and i went well over 115,000 on my original belt, but i wouldnt reccomend it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
the mechanical part of actualy doing the disassembly anf then re assembly is actualy the EASIER part.

for most first timers whom may or may not (usualy not) understand how iming works it can be a pain the ass and you might not end up getting it right.

Not that im discouraging you at all, everyone should change there own timing belt, but i remember my first one on a old toyota, at the age of 16 i was pulling my hair out... (awww those were the days when ya had a set of tiawanesse tools and no idea what you were doin) =)

i digress, but the most important part is understanding timing and TDC in general. Just remeber to Set it right, set it once. Otherwise youll end up pulling it all off again and doin the manual labor aspect of the installation until you get it right. That is usually what takes the most amount of time for newbies attempting this.

Checklist:

-T belt
-water pump
-8,10,12,14,17mm sockets in 3/8 drive and 1/4 for the smaller ones
-10, 12,14,17mm box/open end wrenches
a good breaker bar 1/2 drive w/ 12,14,17mm sockets
-17mm impact socket
-a big ass good sized bar to wedge intbetween the flywheel teeth and belhousing
-Hondabond RTV sealant
-Silicone spra(makes things slipery) =)
some good mechanics gloves will save your hands
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
i took mine to a shop to have it changed (at around 120k miles) because of my lack of space(live in an apartment) and availability of tools (once again, where would i keep them?) though i usually do most of my own work at my parents or friends house (both live about 3 hours away, so getting there and finding time to go is extremely limited right now)... but ANYWAY, i got charged $600 to have it done and have a new lug stud put on/in, with waterpump and all that... waaaay overpriced for 1 day out of your life for some mechanical experience if you ask me, after that fiasco, i trust shops, no more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
i took mine to a shop to have it changed (at around 120k miles) because of my lack of space(live in an apartment) and availability of tools (once again, where would i keep them?) though i usually do most of my own work at my parents or friends house (both live about 3 hours away, so getting there and finding time to go is extremely limited right now)... but ANYWAY, i got charged $600 to have it done and have a new lug stud put on/in, with waterpump and all that... waaaay overpriced for 1 day out of your life for some mechanical experience if you ask me, after that fiasco, i trust shops, no more.
after tax and parts and labor 600 isnt bad. at my shop we charge 70 bucks an hour and labor for water pump involves timing belt removal so maybe 3.5 hours dats already about 300 bucks. plus waterpump,timing belt kit, coolant, and repairing a lugnut maybe .5 hour labor.i wouldnt say its way overpriced. so if they charge 90 bucks an hour at the shop u was at then its about right. it does seem expensive if i had to pay too but price is about right.

damn im happy i could do all my work...sometimes i do brakes for customers and its like 200 bucks for the front. im like damn i can do these in like 15 mines...and they have to pay so much :cry oh well


as for the guy who wants to do his own timing belt...good luck and i do sugest attemtping to do it urself. you wont learn if u dont try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
well, all i was doing was shooting him the price i paid for my timing belt change, and something to consider. i think the kits run ~$100-150, so i mean, if i would've been sure that my car was going to make a 3 hour drive i may have done it myself, but alas, time constraints kill us all now-a-days. most things i do myself, but sometimes urgency>price (as with my case of 125k on ORIGINAL timing belt... thats pushing it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where can I find the part numbers for all the belts and water pump through Majestic Honda? I thought the engine needed to be lifted up or the mounts undone to do the belt? I work on all kinds of mechanical stuff but have never done a timing belt.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top