Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having trouble shifting in my 93 del sol. in first gear the car stutters into gear but once you get up to speed the stuttering stops but you have to force it into all the gears. i checked my clutch fluid and its fine. but when the car is completely off it shifts through all the gears no problem. what do you think it could be?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but do gears usually just go bad out of the clear blue? and would i still be able to drive the car if that were the case because i can drive pretty normal once i get it in gear, it just the shifting is really sucky. what would be some signs of bad gears?

· Registered
217 Posts
Grind when you shift, noises when in gear. Umm...maybe your clutch be bad. =/ Now that I think about it, sounds like it's more of a clutch problem then gears. Not sure exactly what would be wrong with the clutch, maybe worn plates or something.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but do gears usually just go bad out of the clear blue? and would i still be able to drive the car if that were the case because i can drive pretty normal once i get it in gear, it just the shifting is really sucky. what would be some signs of bad gears?

· Registered
41,903 Posts
check your vtec alignment, and your turn signal fluid

· Registered
478 Posts
1. Honda Manual Transmission Fluid is weird. If you use some other fluid it won't shift right.
2. If your clutch is dragging (not disengaging all the way) then that will cause hard shifting and grinding (possible that you need to bleed the clutch)
3. If your syncros are worn out then that will cause grinding and hard shifting

Did you recently replace the clutch or have the transmission out of the car?
Have you run low on clutch fluid recently?
Have you opened the clutch hydraulic lines for any reason?

· Registered
478 Posts
Not quite

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Honda MTF is not motor oil, simply has similar characteristics. Also has additives for a tranny, whereas regular motor oil has additives designed for motor use that will hurt transmissions. be warned. I ran motor oil in my old civic, had problems 30k miles later. Honda MTF, ran it fora few hundred miles, refill and new honda mtf, much better shifting and less noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.