Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an automatic civic ex? is it possible to change to a manual and if so how much trouble and money?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've seen some places charge as little as 400 and as much as 1000+ for a complete auto to manual swap. I did this swap, but not myself so I have no idea how hard it is to do. There's a guy that works by me who does swaps and all kinds of import shit, currently putting a RSX-R or S motor into his 98 hatch, he says it's not all that difficult, but you have to know your shit.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know whether or not it's possible then it's probably something you shouldn't try to tackle yourself. Know what I'm saying?

And personally I don't think it's worth it unless you got LOTS of other mods on your car, like body stuff you can't change over to a new car. It's cheaper to sell an auto and just buy a manual, and easier for sure. Just my opinion. Search for this topic, it's been covered many times.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
have a professional do it. ive been quoted at 400 but that was if i got my motor swapped thru them too. plan on atleast that much

·
Registered
218 Posts
WTF

400 bucks to do an auto-stick? That's gotta just be labor charges im assuming. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but cannot find a shop around to do it. The one shop quoted 3000, because they are the only "performance" shop around. I wish i was in cali or NYC where a tranny swap can be done with an oilchange as easy as "supersizing" fries @ mcdonalds.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
BossMasterFlex said:
400 bucks to do an auto-stick? That's gotta just be labor charges im assuming. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but cannot find a shop around to do it. The one shop quoted 3000, because they are the only "performance" shop around. I wish i was in cali or NYC where a tranny swap can be done with an oilchange as easy as "supersizing" fries @ mcdonalds.

I'm gonna tell you straight up that 3000 is way way way too fucking much. This dude with a shop like practically next to mine does it for 400-500 complete and clean. You just gotta look around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think that if u want to swap from a stick to a manual not only do u have to have the tranny for it but u have to get a new computer i think not sure on that i haven't been in transmission class for a while but i think that is all u have to have

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hondapbear99 said:
i think that if u want to swap from a stick to a manual not only do u have to have the tranny for it but u have to get a new computer i think not sure on that i haven't been in transmission class for a while but i think that is all u have to have
Wow time to go back to class dude. You'll also need the pedal assembly, can't drive a stick without a clutch right, master cylinder, clutch lines, clutch, duh, shift linkage and what you mentioned, the tranny.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well i meant everyhting like that sorry not to mention it gee don't bite my head off

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hondapbear99 said:
well i meant everyhting like that sorry not to mention it gee don't bite my head off
I'm sure you did mention it somewhere...tranny+new computer=everything like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts