Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this sorry D-Series engine in my 95 civic dx. I really want the JDM B16A for 2250 on hmotorsonline.com but it will take me about a year to save for that because i have bills. Is it worth it? from anyone that did it or thinking about it...thanks

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
NO.

But that's just my opinion. I could explain why, but I won't bother unless you really want to know.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I say do it. Some people will say not to, and to just get a faster car. But how about avoiding car payments and just have fun with the car you already have? Sounds good to me, especially since 2200 + trade-in won't buy a car that is fast enough to justify getting a faster car.

You COULD save for a B18 since it's not much more, but:

1) Don't forget about installation fees if you can't do it yourself.

and

2) If you just want to make your car more fun to drive, a B16 will be plenty.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Slipjack said:
I say do it. Some people will say not to, and to just get a faster car. But how about avoiding car payments and just have fun with the car you already have? Sounds good to me, especially since 2200 + trade-in won't buy a car that is fast enough to justify getting a faster car.
Well, it depends on whether or not the car is paid for, doesn't it....

·
Registered
908 Posts
For a '95 Civic DX I don't see how that is relevant. Regardless, $2200 + trade-in still doesn't get you enough car to justify an upgrade. Without the trade-in you can get plenty of motor for the already existing car, paid off or not. Although I only condone modding a car that is paid off. In that case, that's obviously the car he wanted/could afford at the time or he wouldn't have gotten it.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Nathan123 said:
NO.

But that's just my opinion. I could explain why, but I won't bother unless you really want to know.
Agreed. Also on top of the $2250, add $250 for shipping, and another $600 to replace the clutch, head gasket, timing belt, water pump, plug wires, cap, rotor, plugs, correct engine mounting brackets, etc. People forget that swaps are not crate motors. They are typically high mileage motors that need to be cleaned up and gaskets changed.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
My answer is do save your money but not for an engine swap. If it takes you a year to save $2250 because of bills, then, you are cruising for a bruising, financially, if you buy that motor now.
I would suggest you pay off all your bills and start getting into the black. A $2250+ purchase now will only put you in the hole deeper.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
fartbomber said:
My answer is do save your money but not for an engine swap. If it takes you a year to save $2250 because of bills, then, you are cruising for a bruising, financially, if you buy that motor now.
I would suggest you pay off all your bills and start getting into the black. A $2250+ purchase now will only put you in the hole deeper.
Ahhh... a voice of reason.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well right now I’m saying by paying bills mean my wife right now does not work until next month when she finishes school. I will be back in school after but still working full time. I’m saying that because I picked this car up from my grandfather for 1000.00. it a 95 civic dx with 83,000 miles on it. Now I want the 02-05 honda civic si(I love that hb because many people don’t have it because they did not like the style of it.) but I’m not sure if I want a car note or not so I rather work on this car I have. I mean it’s not much but it could be something I guess…

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
not worth it in my opinion. Look up a dyno sheet of a stock b16 and look at the torque curve. Youre better off getting an LS or GSR

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I mean truth be told now, I may just keep the car running for awhile and save up for a 03-05 Evo, 02-05 RSX or a STI. I mean I love the new honda's but I see them everywhere now and I like cars you dont see that much. In chicago you dont see many Evo's on the Street and there a monster.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
BSeriesFan said:
I mean it's never hitting the track at all i just want more power out of my daily driver you know...
Then the b16 is *DEFINATELY NOT* the way to go. Torque is what makes a car feel good/fast and they don't call the b16 the torqueless wonder for no reason. Here is a dyno of a stock d16y8 vs. a stock b16a2. Noticed how they look nearly identical until you get above 5500rpms... How often do you really exceed 5500rpms on a daily basis? And notice that it really doesn't make any more torque and one can say that it makes more hp, but that doesn't mean as much as people think because :

hp = torque * rpm / 5252

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
for having that few of miles on the engine, do a mini-me and turbo (or just turbo and save yourself the headache of having to tune vtec)

that will yeild you the power of a b16, at the price (probably less)of a swap, with the torque to make you happy.

greddy turbo kits can be found now-a-days for around 1200-1500 for the base kit

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Slipjack said:
For a '95 Civic DX I don't see how that is relevant. Regardless, $2200 + trade-in still doesn't get you enough car to justify an upgrade. Without the trade-in you can get plenty of motor for the already existing car, paid off or not. Although I only condone modding a car that is paid off. In that case, that's obviously the car he wanted/could afford at the time or he wouldn't have gotten it.
I do, you can get $2000 to $2500 out of a decent non modded running civic all day.

$2500 + $2200 = $4700 and that will buy a nice 1st gen DSM maybe even a GSX. Please dont try and talk any crap on the 4g63 when you are comparing a B16 to it

$4700 will also buy you a 94ish LT1 F-Body, lets see high 13 seconds bone stock vs a low 15 to high 14 second swapped civic you have $2000+ in.

$2200 is damn close to getting a fine turbo kit also

1 - 20 of 39 Posts