Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1999 ex sedan and it doesnt say vtec on the valve cover like most cars do. I think the engine block says d16y8 but its dirty and hard to see. is there anyway to find out forsure if it is vtec? and if it is how come it doesnt seem like i have very much power.

· Registered
185 Posts
D16Y8s are SOHC VTEC. The reason your car doesn't feel like a powerful machine is because VTEC doesn't mean shit. At least your car is faster than other SOHC Civics, but still VTEC does not determine whether your car is fast or not. Your car is quite heavy, and the transimssion doesn't exactly have "racing" gearing.

The problem is IMO that you need to ditch the SOHC and get a DOHC if you want a faster Civic.. VTEC on SOHCs is just a sales pitch..

· Registered
764 Posts
Depends which DOHC engine you want. You can get an LS Engine & trans for about $800, then you got all the way up to the Type R's B18c5 and people are asking up to 6g's for those.

· Registered
77 Posts
vtec does make a diff in SOHC, I dont know wut ya talkin bout. Yea it doesnt add 50 hp and blazin speed. But it gives ya a nice lil jerk at 5500 rpms. Being in vtec is a hell of alot diff than not being in vtec. Man obviously its not like a DOHC.
If I were you, if u dont wanna do a swap - keep ur D16 and turbooooooooo it (only $1500 american) - then build ur engine up slowly. And one thing i've learned from the guys on this board is that the beauty of the D16Y8 is that if u fuk it up, its so damn cheap to replace and easy to find.

KEEP THE SOHC and TURBO IT

· Registered
764 Posts
The B18b ($800 block) is a good engine. It is DOHC non-vtec with good torque. Your car would be fast w/ it. But the first mod I'd get would be cams, cause that engine start's to get wheezy in the high RPM ranges. I'm gonna swap in a D16y8, just beacuse they are like $450 and with about 1g you can be spanking RSX type-S's

· Registered
145 Posts
Pootie Tang said:
D16Y8s are SOHC VTEC. The reason your car doesn't feel like a powerful machine is because VTEC doesn't mean shit. At least your car is faster than other SOHC Civics, but still VTEC does not determine whether your car is fast or not. Your car is quite heavy, and the transimssion doesn't exactly have "racing" gearing.

The problem is IMO that you need to ditch the SOHC and get a DOHC if you want a faster Civic.. VTEC on SOHCs is just a sales pitch..
Thats FUCKING HILARIOUS..

NO USDM honda has so called RACING GEARING..

hondas are economy cars..

The only some what of a race gearing tranny i see is a USDM ACURA ITR tranny.. or JDM trannies

Dont listen to them.. Stick with your SOHC VTEC.. who cares.. Stick with what u got.. you have a brand new car basically a 99? why waste the motor and tranny?..

I say just stick with what u got.. :)

· Registered
3,020 Posts
crash6934 said:
what are cams? and how much are they? what about headers? if i want to keep my engine...
Camshafts control the valves which let air in and out of your engine. Since your engine is only SOHC you only need one camshaft. Call or go to some performance shops on line to get some prices. A HEADER(not headers you only have ONE header) is what lets the exhuast gases out of your car-the tubing. If your going to keep your SOHC engine then turbocharge it, spedning money on naturally asperiated shit is a waste of money in my opinon.

· Registered
66 Posts
Stick with the D16 unless your made of cash. You could use a small shot of nitrous for more power.

But it being an automatic, its gonna be slow unless you swap it for a different engine.

Or you could have your car converted to a Manual tranny, it may cost around $1000 for tranny and labor but it would give your d16 the potential for more power. Then for another $1500-2000, you could get a turbo. That would put you in low 14's with the SOHC VTEC motor.

I went engine swap, it was damn expensive, things always go wrong, it alwasys costs more than you thought, sometimes parts are hard to find etc.....

I kinda wish I would have just built the D16 from bottom up and turbo'd the shit out of it.

But it is fun to say JDM GSR!!!!!!!

Smell ya later........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.