Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atleast once a day if not more i will try to use my ipod (wireless) or get on xbox live (wired) and it will not connect, yet my pc is still connected no problem. If i reboot my router then everything will work fine until the next time i go to use it.

WRT54G Linksys, firmware is up to date, and i even reupdated it yesterday and it still does it

This started happening on Tuesday, I installed Windows 7 on Monday. Is there anyway that windows could be causing this problem? or is my router just going bad? The router is about 3-4 years old

· Registered
41,903 Posts
yeah id say its the router going bad.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
any recommendations on a wireless router

i have
2 desktops wired
2 laptops wireless
ipod wireless
and xbox wired
that in itself could just be overloading your router. My old router was the same as yours, i had 3 desktops wired, one additional router wired, laptop and xbox wireless..

one day smoke started pouring out of the router and it went dead :lmao

· Registered
41,903 Posts
what i would recommend doing is getting a wireless router, and a bigger gigabit wired switch to handle all your wired lan traffic. The router will be doing less work and will be able to distribute the WAN in a more stable way

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I'd personally stick with Linksys. The WRT54GL is a good one written with Linux (hence the L). You can also try and run something like dd-wrt on your current router if they make the firmware for it, as I know they do for the 54GL model. Or you could upgrade to one of the newer black Linksys' like the WRT54G2, or go with the 160N model if you want N wireless.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Just buy another router, use one for wired and one for wireless, just connect it using one of the ports to the new routers internet port. Before doing that, you are gonna have to change the IP for the old router to 172.168.1.2 to make it easier for them to work together, since linksys default is 172.168.1.1 (going from memory)

Then you have two routers to handle your connections, and since they arent being overloaded or getting really hot from being overloaded, they will run a bit faster, since most linksys procs run slower as they get hotter, and badwidth can suffer.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
never said my memory was good, thanks for correcting that :btu:

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that in itself could just be overloading your router. My old router was the same as yours, i had 3 desktops wired, one additional router wired, laptop and xbox wireless..

one day smoke started pouring out of the router and it went dead :lmao
i don't think its over loaded. for the past week there has been at one time 2 desktops wired, and the xbox running. the laptops are not at my house, just sometimes my gf brings her's over or my roommates gf brings his
I'd personally stick with Linksys. The WRT54GL is a good one written with Linux (hence the L). You can also try and run something like dd-wrt on your current router if they make the firmware for it, as I know they do for the 54GL model. Or you could upgrade to one of the newer black Linksys' like the WRT54G2, or go with the 160N model if you want N wireless.
what is the difference with G, D, N?

I haven't used windows 7 since yesterday and the problem hasn't been back:confused

· Registered
10,346 Posts
speed and range, N+ is a good one for both. Personally I use a G router, no issues, even goes across parking lot in my apartment complex, so a friend can hook up

· Registered
10,346 Posts
is that just wireless speed or wired speed faster also? and what is the fastest?
Wireless. Only faster wired is gigabit, but even the ancient 10 megabit wired connections wont slow your internet.

im not sure, didnt .. search, but N seems to be the fastest wireless. G is fine though. I had 10 meg and I never got "capped' so to speak, using wireless G. G is cheaper.

Just go to walmart, buy the exact same as your router, and switch the routers after cleaning your current one good, return it for money , new one for free.

Right now though, your issues are most likely caused by router getting hot. If its under something or next to a heating vent, move it. Hell that may solve your problem

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wireless. Only faster wired is gigabit, but even the ancient 10 megabit wired connections wont slow your internet.

im not sure, didnt .. search, but N seems to be the fastest wireless. G is fine though. I had 10 meg and I never got "capped' so to speak, using wireless G. G is cheaper.

Just go to walmart, buy the exact same as your router, and switch the routers after cleaning your current one good, return it for money , new one for free.

Right now though, your issues are most likely caused by router getting hot. If its under something or next to a heating vent, move it. Hell that may solve your problem
it doesn't seem to be hot tot the touch

I think i'm gonna use the dd-wrt firmware and see where that gets me. still it has yet to do it since i haven't booted in windows 7. i'm not sure how that could cause the problem, but it started when i installed it and has seemed to went away since i haven't used it

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I think I found your solution, and it doesn't involve buying new hardware... disable homegroup? Check this out: Windows 7 on wired computer prevents wireless connections to router

Also, I read somewhere else, as well as had the theory myself, that disabling IPv6 on all of the connections on the win7 box might help. IPv6 is in Vista and I've never had a problem myself, but maybe IPv6 runs deprecated in Vista.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
It could be possible that Windows 7 is making a lot of connections that may be overloading your router.

Try monitoring your network performance. Im sure someone here can help, as I am not familiar with that sort of thing.

Also try to find some sort of guide for setting up your router, its possible some settings change priorities for certain connections, or is limiting something.

Good luck dude

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Didnt see your post above acid

Give acid's post a read before mine, looks like he hit it dead on.

· Registered
20,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.