Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type S For Sale | Ft. Pierce FL

I should let the link do the talking, but I seriously would like some input. I am a soon to be previous owner of a VW Passat. Great car! I did just about everything you could do to the bulletproof 1.8T besides upgrade the turbo. Although I was happy with the performance, I still only made around 176hp. I had some electrical issues and the car is basically kaput. Needless to say, I came across this great deal, and wanted to know what the experts say. Is the mileage on this car too high? Is the car too old? The salesman at acura says that he gets these cars in the shop all the time with over 200k miles on them and they are still going. With the research I've done on autotrader, most of the TL's I've seen have been higher mileage TL's. So i'm uner the assumption that these cars will run. A friend of mine had an 01 TL with 225hp. That was a very nice car but, again, this was around 7 years ago, in 2003 or 2004. So does this car at that year still stand up to the newer cars on the road today? I'm also looking into a CAI and a possible ECU upgrade with unichip. Are there any other companies to look into for chip tuning. I love the price of the car. I just want a nice looking car that is nice for trips or to just feel good driving it to work. Please all comments and suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude.....you can't go wrong with Honda PERIOD!!!! Whether it is a 1992 Civic or a 2002 Acura.....these engines are some of the best ever manufactured!! I used to be the parts manager at a Chevy/Chrysler store and if you were looking at a Caliber or a Cavalier...then I'd say to pass. But that's just my opinion bro. I think its a great price.....whatcha waiting for? Lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought my 05 rsx type s this past summer with 84,000 on it and i cant be any happier with the way it performs... the ride is real smooth and comfortable. my buddy used to own a 2003 tl non S and it was really nice.. so i can only think that the type s is way nicer and performs better.. I would go for it.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
get compression and leakdown test performed, contrary to popular belief honda engines are not indestructible. look how many b-series motors had cracked ringlands and smoke in vtec at 100K miles. was the car up on maintenance, how are the bushings, any under-body rust or damage? and oil leaks around the vc gaskets. what kind of oil was run and how often was it changed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is true.....I didn't think about that point of view. Cars do get abused. Out where I lived in Gallup, out was near the Navajo reservation that was full of washboard dirt roads. We'd get vehicles in the shop with suspensions and undercarriages that were obliterated. So yes....getting the car inspected would be wise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts