Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 Accord EX 4cyl Man and I looked on a post and it seems like I have the F23A1 VTEC engine.

I've been reading around and everyone seems to be downing this engine for a H22 swap and others, but my question is why is this engine so bad? I have a K&N drop in Filter and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and on a dyno, I have 136 HP and 142 tq at the wheels ( like 162 HP and 164 tq in the engine <estimate> ). I plan to do a CAI, and headers in the future, plus maybe a few more bolt ons to try and get me up to like 175+ HP. I also figure that there could be more that I can do to get me up in the 200 range.

For a nice 4dr sedan with a large trunk for some subs, a power when you need it, it seems like the accord is almost perfect.

But enough of the talk, what makes this engine so bad?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
jmal1919 said:
I have a 02 Accord EX 4cyl Man and I looked on a post and it seems like I have the F23A1 VTEC engine.

I've been reading around and everyone seems to be downing this engine for a H22 swap and others, but my question is why is this engine so bad? I have a K&N drop in Filter and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and on a dyno, I have 136 HP and 142 tq at the wheels ( like 162 HP and 164 tq in the engine <estimate> ). I plan to do a CAI, and headers in the future, plus maybe a few more bolt ons to try and get me up to like 175+ HP. I also figure that there could be more that I can do to get me up in the 200 range.

For a nice 4dr sedan with a large trunk for some subs, a power when you need it, it seems like the accord is almost perfect.

But enough of the talk, what makes this engine so bad?
lack of aftermarket parts to give it power. the h22 has a slew of parts...i have almost 200whp all motor out of my h22 :tu:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that about the aftermarket parts, that they are mostly for civics, acs, and such, but is that it? I figure with time, there will be more parts for my car.

headers, cams, throttle bodies, high flow cats, are already availiable.

Do you think I am bullshit when I say that its possible to get my engine to put out 200 HP, because my friend doesn't belive me?

·
Registered
944 Posts
jmal1919 said:
sorry 200 engine HP, not at the wheel.

I figure that the trans on the accord isn't as efficient as other ( more sport like ) cars.
efficient? well, its a heavy ass sedan intended to be used as a family car and strives for excellent gas milage.(not dissin them.) So the gears are long and not meant for acceleration.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
fizzbob7 said:
he has an h22.....save your money and do a swap...the h22 has a lot more of an aftermarket and some serious potential
yeap...h22 and a bunch of other toys inside :D but 200whp still feels like shit in a heavy ass 4door 6gen...i still lack high torque levels to move the car off the line...but damn, once i'm movin, it's movin hehehe :tu:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I know the accord is heavy, but that doesn't really matter to me, since no matter what car I get, I'm adding at least a 120 pounds in stereo equip.

Still, no one has given me a good answer besides the aftermarket parts. I'm looking for tech reasons, displacement, compression, etc...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
here's your tech reason....it's SOHC...meaning the cam profile can never be as aggressive as a DOHC...the compression ratio is i think 9:1 which is pretty respectable, but not really the best to turbo, nor is it the best to build for NA...it kinda sits right in the middle. as for displacement, it's a 2.3L. well, that's cool for torque...but if you wanna build a high revving motor, the rod to stroke ratio just isn't the best. it would have to be destroked to about 2.1...even 2.0L for some high output, high revving action, but then you lose torque in the big ass car. what else do you want to know?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sort of getting it now, but what I didn't understand is why do I need to be down in the 2.0L range to have a high reving monster?

Also I figure with a aftermarket stage 1 cam or so, to keep my daily drive in tack, CAI/H/E and possibly more ( bolt ons ), I could get my heavy ass car to be a contender. May not be a V8 killer, but definitely a V6 killer.

By the way, thanks for the info, and I'm sorry if I am pissin anyone off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got an F22 on a 91 lx which means I started at 125 horsepower. I've got a holed-out cat, muffler, cai, header, aem pullies and I've advanced my timing by 3 degrees and I run 93 octane fuel. On top of all this I've got a heavy soundsystem in the trunk.
Ok, here's the deal, this car, with nearly 190,000 miles kicks some serious ass for what it is.
My friends and I occasionally race on a deserted service road at an insurance company. Here are the cars I can consistantly beat, you can make your own judgments from this:

2000 Subaru Imprezea 2.5 RS-mods:muffler

1990 Civic CRX-mods:aem intake, high flow cat, muffler, header

1993 Honda Civic EX-mods:aem cai, header, muffler.

The F22 is worthy. Check out airdynamicracing.com for really cheap parts for the accord.
I got cai, muffler, header for $350.00

If it comes down to it, turbo it or do some gude camshafts.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
2000 Subaru Imprezea 2.5 RS - a big awd car w/ no boost to help drive it

1990 Civic CRX - slow...even bolt ons won't help the stock motor

1993 Honda Civic EX - same as above

come back and praise your f22/f23 when you beat some better cars.

anyways...small displacement / cylinder makes for a better revving high-end engine. think of all the motors honda made that can theoretically break 10K rpms w/out too much work. b16, b18, f20b...all 2L (b20vtec is a different story because it has a lot of bottom end torque, stock). an f22/f23/h22/h23 isn't recommended to take up that high. it has something to do w/ the inertia in the stroke. i'm not too tech savvy about this stuff, but you can ask people in the engine tech forums about this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
best thing in my opinion is to turbo your car. as for aftermarket parts for the accords, there are plenty out there, you just have to look. i believe awhile back that import tuner had an issue where it showed 60+ performance parts for the accord. its true that accords werent meant for "racing" but it looks nice, haha. ive heard of turbo accords running 14's, which is pretty fast in my opinion. the only real problems with the accord is the weight and transmission. my transmission right now is slipping from 2nd-3rd, and its pretty bad. i suggest getting a gude performance head package, custom turbo, and upgrading your transmission.

here are some sites you can visit:

www.gude.com
www.f-max.com

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
that issues listed parts mostly for the 5gen f22. the f23 in the 6gen still doesn't have a lot of aftermarket compared to say a b-series.

·
Registered
315 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
here's your tech reason....it's SOHC...meaning the cam profile can never be as aggressive as a DOHC

I have to disagree with you on this one. SOHC means Single and DOHC means dual overhead cams.

Also, the cam lobes can be agressive for both SOHC and DOHC. I see no reason why they cant be the same. Think harder about why DOHC has an advantage over SOHC and get back to us on this one. (If you still cant figure it out, I'll tell you)

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
i know what SOHC and DOHC mean :rolleyes: as for DOHC being more aggressive...its like the saying: two heads are better that one...but in this case, it's because two cams can give more lift and can lift faster than SOHC motors just because the rotation of one cam can't match the rotation of two cams...can't really explain it in technical terms :D but if you think about it, since we have 16valves...its like two cams would be able to open the valves at faster speeds than a single cam configuration could. thus more performance and can be more aggressivly tuned. :tu:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts