Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be soon owning my first Honda. It will be a daily driver with no modifications. The Accord looks like it will fit the bill, but after doing alot of searches, I'm still not sure what models to stay away from. I'd like to stay under $20K, the further under the better. I've read on this forum that the 98's seemed to have problems with the auto transmissions. Was this limited to the 1998 model Accord, or were the other auto trannies in the same generation also affected? I'll definitely be going with the V6. I'd like to get an automatic, as I'll be doing ALOT of stop and go city driving. Any input/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
the 90-93 models can be had for a very good price (less than $4000 loaded) and are SUPER reliable, easily modded to be monsters and are just sexy IMO.......the stock 2.2 in them is nearly bulletproof...300K miles is common

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fizzbob7 said:
the 90-93 models can be had for a very good price (less than $4000 loaded) and are SUPER reliable, easily modded to be monsters and are just sexy IMO.......the stock 2.2 in them is nearly bulletproof...300K miles is common
Wow. I wasn't thinking of going with one that old, but if it's going to be more problem free than a newer one, I'll definitely look into them. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found a loaded 2000 Honda Accord EX V-6 4D Sedan with 64K at the local Carmax for $13.6K. Anyone know of any potential problems with that year? Forgot to ask earlier, but is there any preventative maintenance that I need to be sure has been done before purchasing? Items like timing belt, etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
cyaford said:
I may be soon owning my first Honda. It will be a daily driver with no modifications. The Accord looks like it will fit the bill, but after doing alot of searches, I'm still not sure what models to stay away from. I'd like to stay under $20K, the further under the better. I've read on this forum that the 98's seemed to have problems with the auto transmissions. Was this limited to the 1998 model Accord, or were the other auto trannies in the same generation also affected? I'll definitely be going with the V6. I'd like to get an automatic, as I'll be doing ALOT of stop and go city driving. Any input/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
the 6th gen v6's only came in auto and there are known tranny problems...honda is sorta doing a recall but not all years...but they did extended the warranty to 100k...i would personally go with an acura tl and cl and you can easily get one under 20k...might even find a type s for that price...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vtecricebox said:
the 6th gen v6's only came in auto and there are known tranny problems...honda is sorta doing a recall but not all years...but they did extended the warranty to 100k...i would personally go with an acura tl and cl and you can easily get one under 20k...might even find a type s for that price...
Do the tl and cl share the same tranny as the Accord? What years would you suggest looking at? I found a 2001 cl Type S for $19K with 33K miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
cyaford said:
Do the tl and cl share the same tranny as the Accord? What years would you suggest looking at? I found a 2001 cl Type S for $19K with 33K miles. Thanks!
i think the regular model has a similar tranny but the type s version is different since they're 5-sp auto or 6-sp manual...and i would personally look at 01-03 only because they look better...and i do have an 01 v6 accord with 75k(!!) and the tranny is still running well...knock on wood...just change the atf every other oil change (about 6-8k) instead of what honda says (think it's either 15k or 30k something like that)...these transmission are programmed to shift a lot and will go through more than the manual so it's necessary for frequent atf changes...the atf would look like black coffee even if changed at every 6k...well mine does...good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vtecricebox said:
i think the regular model has a similar tranny but the type s version is different since they're 5-sp auto or 6-sp manual...and i would personally look at 01-03 only because they look better...and i do have an 01 v6 accord with 75k(!!) and the tranny is still running well...knock on wood...just change the atf every other oil change (about 6-8k) instead of what honda says (think it's either 15k or 30k something like that)...these transmission are programmed to shift a lot and will go through more than the manual so it's necessary for frequent atf changes...the atf would look like black coffee even if changed at every 6k...well mine does...good luck
Well, it seems the Acuras are ALOT worse than the hondas, as far as transmissions go. I've spent the last few days going through the Acura forums nad have read about numerous 99s and up Acuras(mainly TL-Type S) with major transmission problems. Acura has even extended all powertrain warranties to 7 years/100K miles, due to numerous transmission failures. A few guys have gone through 3 transmissions in under 100K miles!!!

Maybe I'm better off getting another Chevy. My 1994 Impala SS was at 170K miles on the stock transmission, with the only major thing happening was the water pump and starter going out at around 120k miles. I sold that car for $7K and then bought a 2003 Cobra. The Cobra will be sold this Friday(uses ALOT of gas for a daily driver), so I will need a good reliable daily driver that gets good gas mileage. I've always heard good things about the reliability of Hondas, which is what brought me to this site. I'll be going to Carmax this Saturday to test out several vehicles that I've been researching.

Thanks for the replies....

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
cyaford said:
I just found a loaded 2000 Honda Accord EX V-6 4D Sedan with 64K at the local Carmax for $13.6K. Anyone know of any potential problems with that year? Forgot to ask earlier, but is there any preventative maintenance that I need to be sure has been done before purchasing? Items like timing belt, etc?

the 2000 accord should be ok.
just take it for a test drive see how the transmission feels.
the transmission on the 2000+ accord has extended warranty to 100,000 anyway.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
cyaford said:
Well, it seems the Acuras are ALOT worse than the hondas, as far as transmissions go. I've spent the last few days going through the Acura forums nad have read about numerous 99s and up Acuras(mainly TL-Type S) with major transmission problems. Acura has even extended all powertrain warranties to 7 years/100K miles, due to numerous transmission failures. A few guys have gone through 3 transmissions in under 100K miles!!!

Maybe I'm better off getting another Chevy. My 1994 Impala SS was at 170K miles on the stock transmission, with the only major thing happening was the water pump and starter going out at around 120k miles. I sold that car for $7K and then bought a 2003 Cobra. The Cobra will be sold this Friday(uses ALOT of gas for a daily driver), so I will need a good reliable daily driver that gets good gas mileage. I've always heard good things about the reliability of Hondas, which is what brought me to this site. I'll be going to Carmax this Saturday to test out several vehicles that I've been researching.

Thanks for the replies....
Ya i think domestics has foreign cars beat on the trannys, autos anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys think mods may be a cause in making the trannies fail so soon? I have no plans whatsoever of doing any performance modifications.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
cyaford said:
You guys think mods may be a cause in making the trannies fail so soon? I have no plans whatsoever of doing any performance modifications.
no necessarly. there are known higher failure rate than usual in the tranny. though there isnt a recall, there is an extended warranty thats offered for the 2000+ year.

its the luck of the draw really. i know some dont have any tranny problems at all. then there are more than a few that have had their tranny replaced 1-4 times. (i on my 3rd tranny, 99 accord).

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
i really think the whole tranny issue has been blown out of proportion. I can't remember what the percentage was exactly for transmission failures but im pretty positive it was under 5%. Plus, this being a car enthusiast board, people on here may generally drive their cars harder (many like to think that av6's are sports car) which can certainly put excessive strain on the tranny which is really the only weak link of the 6 gen v6's.

Honestly, i doubt you will have an issue with it. Just don't race around like a jackass and no torque-braking. Make sure though, since you are buying it used, that the car hasn't been abused (i guess similar to buying any other used car though).

People may try to scare you away, but honestly if you are just looking for an everday driver, it would be a great choice. :tu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
canadian1986 said:
i really think the whole tranny issue has been blown out of proportion. I can't remember what the percentage was exactly for transmission failures but im pretty positive it was under 5%. Plus, this being a car enthusiast board, people on here may generally drive their cars harder (many like to think that av6's are sports car) which can certainly put excessive strain on the tranny which is really the only weak link of the 6 gen v6's.

Honestly, i doubt you will have an issue with it. Just don't race around like a jackass and no torque-braking. Make sure though, since you are buying it used, that the car hasn't been abused (i guess similar to buying any other used car though).

People may try to scare you away, but honestly if you are just looking for an everday driver, it would be a great choice. :tu
I guess you hear 100% of the bad and about 1% of the good. I'm sure any car I think about purchasing is going to have some issues if I were to read every Forum. I just don't want to get a car and then find out there's some mass problem the manufacturer has ignored. Like i said before, I'm looking for a daily driver that will be driven on trips and to work. I have my "play car" in the garage. :D

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
cyaford said:
I guess you hear 100% of the bad and about 1% of the good. I'm sure any car I think about purchasing is going to have some issues if I were to read every Forum. I just don't want to get a car and then find out there's some mass problem the manufacturer has ignored. Like i said before, I'm looking for a daily driver that will be driven on trips and to work. I have my "play car" in the garage. :D

well honda and toyota are 1st and 2nd for reliable cars. They both have an unbeatable reps and put out high quality cars.

It's like you kind of say... 'news travels fast, but bad news travels faster'

just dont rush buying a car... good luck with whatever you get :tu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
canadian1986 said:
well honda and toyota are 1st and 2nd for reliable cars. They both have an unbeatable reps and put out high quality cars.

It's like you kind of say... 'news travels fast, but bad news travels faster'

just dont rush buying a car... good luck with whatever you get :tu
That is exactly why I'm going with Honda(or similar quality brand), because of their track record for long lasting reliable cars. I know their is no perfect car out here, but I'd like to minimize any additional out of pocket expenses after buying a used car and then having to shell out alot of money for any major problems that are common in that car. The local dealer has a few 2002 Acura TL Type-S models sitting on the lot. I'm going this weekend to test them out and see how much(or little) they'll let one go for, if I like it.

My mom has a 98(??) Corolla she'd sell me for $7K. However, I borrowed it to go on a long trip and I will NEVER own one of those cars. It was cramped, SLOW, and did I mention slow? It did get excellent gas mileage. Everytime I'd go up a hill, the transmission would kick down a gear and whoever was next to me would look over like I was trying to race them or something. The car had ZERO acceleration when going up a hill. It would hit 70 and then nothing but loud engine noises. :bh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts