Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to drive my 98 CRV EX up a steep snow-covered hill over the weekend when my wheels started spinning and I got stuck. I got out, dug out the snow from my front wheels, and tried moving forward again but much to my surprise my rear wheels, which were still on snow, started spinning. My question is, why was power directed to my rear wheels when it was my front wheels that had the traction? I thought the CRV's all time 4 wheel drive was supposed to send power to either the front or rear depending on which set had the better traction. Does anyone know how the CRV's 4x4 works? I'm thinking that once the front wheels started spinning the first time that the 4x4 automatically sent power to the rear wheels, and the power stayed with the rear wheels. How does the CRV know when to switch power from front to back and then to front again?

·
Registered
26 Posts
FRONT OR REAR?

The Real Time four-wheel-drive system engages automatically when required. Under normal road conditions, the system drives only through the front wheels for maximum fuel efficiency. A central clutch automatically transmits power to the rear wheels when the rotation speed of the front wheels differs to that of the rear wheels.

The Real Time system is controlled by dual hydraulic pumps - one on the front axle and on the rear. When slip occurs, the imbalance in the pressures from the two pumps instantaneously engages the clutch, shifting the vehicle to four-wheel-drive.

so, it was never meant to shift torque to wheels with higher friction. it simply truns your vehicle into 4wheeldrive when front wheels spin. and it does just fine! i've been through some crappy conditions and it does. but, divinewisdom is right - it's a 4wheeldrive, so you have torque, when it's engaged, on ALL FOUR, so the rear wheels WILL DO spin. it's just that you had less friction on the rears, so they spun, and more friction on fronts, so they did not.
advise from a guy born in siberia: next time you stuck in something like this, back up into snow (it has very nice friction coefficient) and put your car into the first gear! then drive forward. you will have a lot of torque at very low rpms applied to the wheels, thus almost no slippage. and be gentle on gas pedal. we used to, if you have your car stuck on pure ice or frozen melted snow crust, (of course, if you have manual but that's all we ever had x only rear wheel drive) to put it into first and then start engine. cranck from starter will get you out. beauty of a car that does not have all the safety features! :hehe

·
Registered
256 Posts
ukrkoz said:
advise from a guy born in siberia: next time you stuck in something like this, back up into snow (it has very nice friction coefficient) and put your car into the first gear! then drive forward. you will have a lot of torque at very low rpms applied to the wheels, thus almost no slippage. and be gentle on gas pedal. we used to, if you have your car stuck on pure ice or frozen melted snow crust, (of course, if you have manual but that's all we ever had x only rear wheel drive) to put it into first and then start engine. cranck from starter will get you out. beauty of a car that does not have all the safety features! :hehe
except, first gen CRV's did not offer AWD with manual transmission. Also, you can put the transmission into D2 and the wheels wont spin as fast on start up because it will start off in 2nd gear; so you would have a better chance of driving without slipping on ice.

I would agree, though, that it is more of a tire issue. Or if you find yourself on a icy slope, you may want to chain up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FIRST GEAR IS FIRST GEAR

well, manual or automatic - first gear is first gear (also, sometimes marked as Low). what i have noticed is that in usa folks are very leary to use any gears in automatic except "drive", "reverse" and "park". so, i checked, and cr-v has clearly posted "1" next to the gear shifter, ergo - the 1st gear it is. kinda equivalent of demultiplicator on true offroad gearbox.
now, as of 98 cr-v not having a 4 wheel drive with manual - oh, what a shame. it's ALL WHEEL DRIVE, my bad, same difference if you ask me. for the purpose of this particular car/situation, all 4 wheels start getting torque. of course, we can engage into a lengthy discussion of differences, but why?
standard all wheel drive is listed under features for 98 cr-v ex. also, down below it says: REAL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. sorry, can't help, i'm not the one who calls it 4 wheel drive/ all wheel drive for the same vehicle.

Built on the Civic platform, the CR-V successfully integrates familiar Honda components into an all-new design. Honda's famous four-wheel double-wishbone suspension makes an appearance on the CR-V, the first-ever application of four-wheel double-wishbone technology on a sport-ute, as does the very familiar four-speed automatic transmission. The 2.0-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder engine makes 126 horsepower and 133 foot-pounds of torque. The CR-V's :clap real time four-wheel drive system :clap is a derivative of the unit that Honda initially offered on their Civic wagon. The result of using all of these car components is that the CR-V looks and feels rather like a car. (1998 HONDA CR-V EX, that's what the owner has)

These are the features that are included on this particular style of this vehicle. To see the features that come with other styles of this vehicle, check the Standard Features page for those styles.

Performance
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 10.2 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 141 ft.
Road Holding Index: .72 g Base Number of Cylinders: 4
Base Engine Size: 2 liters Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 126 hp Max Horsepower: 5400 rpm
Torque: 133 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4300 rpm
Maximum Towing Capacity: 1000 lbs. :hehe Drive Type: AWD :hehe
Turning Circle: 34.8 ft.

tires? might be. but i know one thing darn sure: if you spun your wheels on snow and MELTED a thin layer, you ain't going anywhere. water has no friction. that's how skates move so smoothly - they constantly melt a thin layer of ice and create virtually a zero friction layer. ergo - back up into a fresh, fluffy snow. oh, almost forgot: if you are stuck stuck - lower pressure in your tires halfway. BIG SURFACE AREA, MUCHO FRICTION!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nobody said the CRV doesnt have four wheel drive or AWD or what ever you prefer as the reference Mr. copy and paste. :kick All I am saying is that I believe that britri3635 has a automatic transmission, therefor to give advice as to using the starter motor to drive a vehicle, with a manual transmission, out of a sippery condition, is completely moot for the that CRV.

Being an American, I do use more than just the D R and P gear positions. I also use the D2 when sippery conditions exist, I use the D3 when driving under 55 mph and into D4 over 55. The only time I use the D1, which is hardley ever, is , well, hardley ever because D2 is much better in slippery conditions because the engine will not be allowed to turn the wheels as fast causing the wheels to spin in a slippery situation.

The truth of the matter is, that D1 in a CRV cannot be compared to that of a actual 4wd veicle with a shifting transfer case because the gearing is completely different. The engine in those vehicles is allowed to operate at higher RPM's, getting into optimal torque and power ranges, while the wheels will rotate at a rate with more torque at lower rotating speeds; unlike the CRV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
promotion said:
except, first gen CRV's did not offer AWD with manual transmission. Also, you can put the transmission into D2 and the wheels wont spin as fast on start up because it will start off in 2nd gear; so you would have a better chance of driving without slipping on ice.

I would agree, though, that it is more of a tire issue. Or if you find yourself on a icy slope, you may want to chain up.

"first gen CRV's did not offer AWD with manual " sorry to say but they do have awd 5spd gen1 cr-v....those are rare to find

·
Registered
256 Posts
Infernohit said:
"first gen CRV's did not offer AWD with manual " sorry to say but they do have awd 5spd gen1 cr-v....those are rare to find
This is true, that is why I didnt make reference to it in my proceding post. Actually there was no AWD manual offered in 97 only. :hug When I bought my CRV in 98, I had to get an automatic; There were no 5 speeds with AWD to be found at the time.

Anyway, I still say that this is more of a tire issue; getting back to the real issue of this post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.