Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have had bad luck with your Del Sol's? I mean, how many times has someone tried to steal your car, do a simple "smash-and-grab", steal your rims, etc etc etc?

Whenever I look at the list of most stolen cars in America, Civics are almost always in the top 5, but I was wondering if Del Sol's are targeted more often, less often, or just the same as other Civic models. Too bad the studys arent that specific.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nada bad luck. Nope on breakins or jacking. :D

I never take it to a mall or movie theater. The Sol only sees my garage or my workplace's underground parking.

Generally, obvious aftermarket parts that are observeable and/or any VTEC model Sols are targeted. At least, that's the scoop in Texas.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
check out the thread on stolen cars in the SH rumors and autotalk forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was looking through the del sol pics in the photo lounge on here and it seems like 50% of the del sol pics r after its been ripped off.

I personally haven't had any problems with theft or anything like that with my car. Although i also have a stock sterio which seems to be the thing that draws alot of attention in my city.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No (major) bad luck so far. I live in a pretty shitty neighborhood, though, so I fear it's only a matter of time. I don't mess with anyone, I don't show off with my car, I keep it down, but I AM white, and in my neighborhood, that's all the excuse needed to rip my emblems off (happened here once before with my GF's 91 Civic), throw rocks at it, put broken glass under the tires, etc. So, with that in mind, I'm seriously considering one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33721&item=7964351380&rd=1

and a CCTV surveillance camera and monitor setup to put in my window, pointing at my car.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
damn, if I go anywhere I usually try to park right out front so I can see my car...if I can't see it then I sometimes worry but just try to stay away from bad areas...and if it's late at night, just be sure you're with some friends and what not so then ppl are less likely to want to try and do something...and if you're worried about someone actually trying to steal your car, you should get a racing steering wheel with a quick release adapter so then you can take the wheel with you wherever you go...put it in your backpack or something...that's what I'm going to do as soon as I can get mine installed...bc how is someone going to try and steal a car without a steering wheel, ya know? and honestly, it doesn't matter about the statistics that there are, if there is a thief scoping out your car, it's good as gone unless you take some preventative measures before hand...ppl will steal anything...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fact that really gets me down is: as long as someone has a tow truck, you're basically fucked. I found something called VIN etching, which may or may not help guard against theft. Has anyone tried it out? I think there are quite a few sites, but here's one I saw: www.vinshield.com
The concept looks appealing, but I think a thief or chop shop could get rid of windows pretty easily, right? IDK, I guess I just don't want something stolen that I have literally bled for. Then again, that's why there's auto insurance :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
They could just pop out the windows.

You could always put an ignition kill switch or two, i've seen people put them crazy places when they are leaving their car at an airport or something. easier then carrying around a steering wheel.

And auto insurence doesnt cover modifacations. usually.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I searched for more anti-theft measures and this is what I found:

-take out fuse(s) to ignition circuits
-take off the distributor cap, remove the rotor button, then replace the cap (is thing pretty simple to do?)
-find a way to lock your e-brake in place (is this simple or hard to setup?)

Also, I heard a story about someone who worked in the Bronx and used his work car everyday. He said he was able to keep his car unlocked (still a stupid idea, either way) just because his company had painted their name, # and address on all sides of the car. I mean, think about it; I've watched alot of episodes of COPS and never remember them chasing after a stolen car that had all that info plastered on it.

Another prevention method would be to simply not have any kind of stereo system set up. I know some people can't live with music in their ride, but, I am debating taking out the system once I get my new car. It's helps in the first place that I don't care about music while driving anyways, hah.

Does anyone else have any ideas about theft prevention?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
this is why i left the honda scene.... car gets jacked right and left.

i have the compustar alarm system with remote paging...

my engien management also acts as an anti theft unit as it wont let the car start, or it will automatically shut off after the rpm's reach 1500.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My sol has been broken into 4 times since october '04. I park in an unsecured parking deck, that fuckin bums like to sleep in...so when they exit the fire stairs three levels underground, first thing they see is a red honda del sol. I've spent over $1250 just repairing glass, and i have insurance ($250 deductable) I hate fuckin thieves, if my damn alarm ever reaches me and I get the page, I'm gonna beat some crackhead to a bloody pulp. I just repaired the glass again last thursday, so i'm still a little bent..luckily, they haven't been able to steal the car (tho they tried on the second break in) or get to my stereo (they got my amps on the first break-in)...just broken glass again! :bh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.