Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before ..

AFTER ..

92-95 Prelude vs. Integra Type-R intake ..

Less bends, no S curve, shorter piping ..

Same bore sizes ..

New AEM dry filter ..

Custom mounting .. CUSTOM .. ALL CUSTOM .. (intake is very secure now) ..

Now I will have no problem mounting a breather tank on the chassis nearthe shock tower ..

Integra Type-R intake installed ..

Integra Type-R intake installed ..

I definitely feel more power .. wheels spin much easier .. Part of it I know is b/c I went from an old dirty filter toa new dry filter .. but I think the new design also helped sig..

I had to chop off about 1.5" of the mounting bracket at the crease and put some padding on the end or it would chew throw the chassis rather quickly. I then took an L bracket .. mounted it to a threaded hole in the chassis. Then I drilled a hole in the intake mounting bracket for the intake bushing to go. (cut off the old hole) .. Then I used a peice of aluminum (intake stay for old cheezy intake) and used it to bolt the L bracket to the aem rubber bushing bolt. Intake is VERY secure.

PROs: A) Opened up A LOT of room under the hood. Now the whole pass. side is basically completely empty and opened up perfect space to mount a radiator breather tank .. B) Shorter pipe = less distance from the filter (bring in more air faster) and less metal to get hot .. c) no S curve = faster air velocity = more air to the engine ..

CONs: a) Requires minor modification to the intake .. b) requires custom mounting to the chassis.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very well might be somewhat hotter .. which leads me to now want to wrap my ugly azz headers even more .. that should take care of that .. :hug

I will admit it could be 'better' .. like if they made an intake that didnt compinsate for the batter and used a straight pipe to the OEM location with a heat sheild bolted to where the battery tray was bolted .. it would be MINT .. but I think for whats available .. and with the headers wrapped .. this could be a good improvement ..

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air velocity suffers at that S curve .. on the intake I have its like a 90 degree turn after the filter, followed by another 45 degree turn, then another 45 turn at the throttle body ... I think the intake can suck much harder through the intake now .. some people have braught up heat as an issue .. and I will be countering that with Thermo-Tech header wrap .. but also remember this is the same filter location as a GSR and Type-R, so i dont think it can be 'that bad' at worste.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
road.head said:
whatever you say
Thats what I say ...... and by all means these are stictly my views / opinions .. none of this is fact .. even if it made power on my car .. it might lose power on another car or vice versa .. Im starting to really like the fact I have an EVEN CLEANER engine bay now too ..

edit: .. think about it tho .. you have the pull of the intake from vacuum .. the farther the filter is .. the less vacuum you start to get .. then you start going about 3 curves (one being 90 degrees) .. then of how much less suction is getting to the filter? .. A LOT ..

'o well why dont u just stick the filter on the throttle body smart azz' .. b/c I think you need the tube to get the air moving in the cylinder shape first to make a steady stream before entering the manifold.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
crdcz03 said:
proove your claims on a dyno.
Yuup, I want dyno proof. Anyone can claim gains with a butt dyno, personally that doesn't mean shit. But unless you can show worth while gains, it doesn't really seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
i personally think it was worth it just for the clean-ass engine bay!!! :bounce
props man! :bow

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just as a thought, maybe you're actually getting better throttle response from the short ram, as opposed to more horsepower. Improved throttle response always leads people to believe that they've increased power.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
i'd say no gains. Wayyy too close to the engine/header! At least put a sheild there.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
TOP END MS said:
Thats what I say ...... and by all means these are stictly my views / opinions .. none of this is fact .. even if it made power on my car .. it might lose power on another car or vice versa .. Im starting to really like the fact I have an EVEN CLEANER engine bay now too ..

edit: .. think about it tho .. you have the pull of the intake from vacuum .. the farther the filter is .. the less vacuum you start to get .. then you start going about 3 curves (one being 90 degrees) .. then of how much less suction is getting to the filter? .. A LOT ..

'o well why dont u just stick the filter on the throttle body smart azz' .. b/c I think you need the tube to get the air moving in the cylinder shape first to make a steady stream before entering the manifold.

dude seriously, where the fuck do you come up with this shit? the length and amount of curves have shit to do with how much vacuum is seen at the tb vs. at the air filter. ya you may see an almost non existent drop if the pipe were a 1/4 mile long and zig zagged everywhere from fricitional losses. but only as a secondary byproduct of loading the source creating the vacuum.

tube moving air in the cylinder shape? if that shit was true then fuckin tornados would actually work. sorry but once the nice tube shaped air you believe exists hits the throttle rotor it gets chopped to shit and back and then the diversion into 4 seperate intake runners further devours any tubular flow you think is happening. try to think about it more like a streamer in back of a box fan then water through a garden hose.

oh btw there are a couple dyno vids at ht where as they added pieces to lengthen the intake it kept developing more and more torque. so looks like you probably decreased your by making a shorter tube, not to mention you just stuck the filter even closer to a hot ass motor.

look this isnt aimed at you but kids, seriously, quit wasting your fuckin money on things your psuedo mechanical engineering degree tells you will gain power and buy real shit that does like cams and pistons and turbos etc...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I agree..the power that you think you now have is most likely due to increased throttle response...when in reality you probably lost a few ponies....especially down low.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
gurusan said:
I agree..the power that you think you now have is most likely due to increased throttle response...when in reality you probably lost a few ponies....especially down low.
Only person who finally laid some sense. Your absolutely right and I dont need to say anything but my version.

Shorter Intake = More Throttle response , move rpm range of part to higher rev range.

Longer Intake = More torque , less throttle repsonse, etc etc.

As well youve got to take into considertion AEM is doing dyno tests and they try to come up with the best results for each car. A second benefit of the longer prelude is it goes beside the battery which acts as a heatshield. This benefits the car by transfering cooling air to the intake.

The integra engine bay is pretty wide open on the front where as the prelude is pretty compacted in there. So your going to find more heat and probably less power on hot days. As well your rpm range is meant for basically running on a race track all day at high rpms....where as your streetability will go down since your low rpms are now lacking some torque.

Allthough retrofitting stuff is fun , just because its designed type-r doesnt mean its better. Each motor needs its own designed intake to take advantage of each engines characterstics. This plays true with headers , a lot of the type-r's go 4-1 , while the prelude does the 4-2-1 a lot. Due to the fact the 4-2-1's take better advantage of our engine which is basically a more torquey and fat powerband.

Cant fault you for trying something new , but gurantee when you go back to the regular prelude intake youll notice the motor will give off more push throughout the rpm range.

·
Registered
486 Posts
LOL.....it's just a freakin intake....LOL. Even if it did or did not it's only +/- 1-2 hp.

I must admit though, that S bend I don't like. That's why I'm trying to sell my AEM CAI and get a Type S intake, for that natural look.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.