Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up?
I have a co worker who have a 96 GSR and insist on swapping a ITR motor in. Since he's going that route I was seeing can he keep his oem mounts & axles or he have to upgrade along w/ different ecu.
Thanks- I told him I should beable to let him know something Thur. at work

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
yes he can keep the axels and mounts
I dont think the same ecu will work
and
unless he is getting that motor for free that is extremely dumb
why spend that kind of money for 20whp and 4wtq:confused

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats going on champ. Appreciate that. Thats what I say but, you know when someones mind made up. I think his is not right . I personally would look for another C1 if it was me. I have a Gsr also so I know these are great motors.
Now if he had a civic hatch I would understand if he wanted the xtra 25 US/30JDm.

If I'm not mistaken I thought I use to remember seeing some places advertising the B18C stating 210 hp instead of the 200.

For myself if I can ever get a hold of some free cash to play with I like to do some CTR cams.We'll see.

Thanks alot for the info so I can tell my stubborn co worker.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
1. he is dumb for the swap
2. yes you can use the same stuff mounts and such...they are physically the same motor.....they have more aggressive cams slightly different head (itr head is almost identical to b16 head) different comp ratio crank etc....
3. the gsr has a dual stage intake manifold to smooth out vtec engagement aimed at giving you more responsive linear power than the itr....essentially it's the better street motor
4. no you shouldn't use the same ecu...referring back to the gsr's intake manifold, the gsr is setup to activate vtec at 4400 rpms and the secondairies open up at 5750(which most ricers confuse the change in pitch with "OMGFGODZVTEC"....they don't even realize that vtec engaged over 1000 rpms prior to "the noise"
5 itr vtec kicks in later than the gsr as well as the redline being higher for the itr......i'm sure the car will run with the gsr ecu but it will probably run like shit

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would do it in a heartbeat, well because I just did it. He can run the stock P72 but I wouldn't rely on that. He needs a P73 or something tunable. He can use the exact same mounts, axles, linkages, and harness that he has. And if he is going to do it, tell him to go for the JDM 98+ spec. The motor not only is the strongest, handles 9k all day, and is hand built, but he will have the 4.7 final drive which means the gearing will be shorter then any other b series. For everyone saying he is dumb, are fuckin retarded. Yes, he will pay a lot, but will sell the GSR from a good amount which means he wont be paying, correction, $3800 for the motor. Do your research on the ITR engine, there are plenty of reasons to want to upgrade. You should post this elsewhere if you want good feedback, there are very few knowledgeable people on here and has become mainly an off topic forum. Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
lol for the price of an ITR swap you can build the GSR or a new motor that will have 0 miles and more power and/or potential.

My low comp built LS/vtec raped ITR motors and it was cheaper, more TQ, and more top end. Got about 50k on it and its got no leaks or issues and it's been boosted for at least 10k.

·
Registered
327 Posts
lol for the price of an ITR swap you can build the GSR or a new motor that will have 0 miles and more power and/or potential.

My low comp built LS/vtec raped ITR motors and it was cheaper, more TQ, and more top end. Got about 50k on it and its got no leaks or issues and it's been boosted for at least 10k.
if you buy everything new, pistons, rings, bearings, headgasket, cams, valvetrain, seals, gaskets, etc. You are more expensive then buying the ITR and selling the GSR for the difference. Aslo, built motors dont last like stock ones do. Also, who thinks of boost when you think of ITR??? Also, he going to build his tans too. with the LSD and final drive? How bout putting all of that together and then paying for labor???

I paid $3500 for my swap, and sold my GSR for $1700. So that is $1800 out of pocket and I have a 180-190whp bolt on stock internal performance motor that can rev high, make power all the way to 9, last as long as any other motor, have LSD and a 4.7 final drive. So now, take a GSR, give it everything a Type-R has, and don't spend over $1800. That motor is built for racing and loves to be beat on. Any person in there right mind would never say no to that motor. And btw, we arent talking shifting 4 times then slamming on brakes after that long hard 1/4 mile straight line pull :)

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
did he even get the trans? otherwise he won't have the advantage of the ITR FD.

If I had money, the ITR swap would be cool, but it is far cheaper to boost a b18b, or C1 or build the c1, N/A

The c5 is great, don't get me wrong, just overpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
327 Posts
did he even get the trans? otherwise he won't have the advantage of the ITR FD.

If I had money, the ITR swap would be cool, but it is far cheaper to boost a b18b, or C1 or build the c1, N/A

The c5 is great, don't get me wrong, just overpriced for what you get.
that is personal preference. I don't like boost but I also don't care about out running anyone in a straight line. A built motor doesn't last even if built correctly. This motor is hand ported and polished, tuned on 100 octane (why we have to run a knock sensor), lsd, 4.7 final drive, 9k redline, and the strongest motor all around. Anyone who argues that isn't worth the money is ignorant

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
that is personal preference. I don't like boost but I also don't care about out running anyone in a straight line. A built motor doesn't last even if built correctly. This motor is hand ported and polished, tuned on 100 octane (why we have to run a knock sensor), lsd, 4.7 final drive, 9k redline, and the strongest motor all around. Anyone who argues that isn't worth the money is ignorant

how is that the strongest motor around....a gsr will see the same things the itr does with the same effort and less money. they are virtually the same motor. what the hell stock itr has a 9K redline? and why is it tuned on 100 octane?

and how is the itr the strongest motor all around?.......

ITR

GSR

ITR revs marginally higher because of the cams which are also the key factor in the power difference which can be easily swapped into the gsr mtor...but the gsr motor alos has stronger midrange than the itr because of it's dual stage intake manifold design.

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
This dude cracks me up. Built motor won't last? Wtf are you smoking? Like Honda knows how to build a motor better than anyone else. STFU.

You talk like you take your beauty queen to the circuit and run laps every weekend. :lol

MR spoon man, why does spoon rebuild motors instead of just running the all mighty Honda factory built ITR motor?

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
This dude cracks me up. Built motor won't last? Wtf are you smoking? Like Honda knows how to build a motor better than anyone else. STFU.

You talk like you take your beauty queen to the circuit and run laps every weekend. :lol

MR spoon man, why does spoon rebuild motors instead of just running the all mighty Honda factory built ITR motor?
But it's TYPE R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't be ignorant
LOOK WHAT TYPE R DOES TO YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
how is that the strongest motor around....a gsr will see the same things the itr does with the same effort and less money. they are virtually the same motor. what the hell stock itr has a 9K redline? and why is it tuned on 100 octane?

and how is the itr the strongest motor all around?.......

ITR

GSR

ITR revs marginally higher because of the cams which are also the key factor in the power difference which can be easily swapped into the gsr mtor...but the gsr motor alos has stronger midrange than the itr because of it's dual stage intake manifold design.

Hahahah, so ignorant. Yes, you right, why have an ITR motor when you can have a GSR motor with cams. they are NO different and you can make the exact motor and trans for way less. come to think of it, why does anyone buy ITRs?? GSR is the same in every aspect and has the same amount of engineering that went into the ITR but with way more potential and way less money. Dumb Honda, then why so much?

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
Enlighten us with some knowledge other than your fanboi love. I know why there is a GSR and an ITR, to sell in a car. But we are talking about engines and their potential in the performance arena and not just to go from point a to b.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
Hahahah, so ignorant. Yes, you right, why have an ITR motor when you can have a GSR motor with cams. they are NO different and you can make the exact motor and trans for way less. come to think of it, why does anyone buy ITRs?? GSR is the same in every aspect and has the same amount of engineering that went into the ITR but with way more potential and way less money. Dumb Honda, then why so much?
actually the same amount of engineering did go into both motors. the the gsr intake setup is actually more advanced...it's designed to tune out vtec crossover and optimize you're midrange power for the street.......you're buying for the name and nothing more.....after you just claimed that it revs to 9K and needs 100 octane fuel to run...and that built motors are less reliable than factory ones.....factory motors are built on budgets in which case they look for a balance of power, reliability for the cheapest price....a built motor has no budget. you put the best parts in it for the purpose it's intended for. I never said the gsr is the same in every aspect, i said there are marginal differences but they are built off of the same platform..... Anybody who can read a book knows this

you said the itr is the strongest motor and i'm asking you to back it up i with something other than a hand port and polish job that does nothing for the actual performance. itr cams upgraded intake manifold and some tuning are what people have been doing for 15+ years to achieve itr performance at a cheaper cost....you call people ignorant for stating facts about both setups and yet you spew out idiocies and it's clear you have no idea what you're even talking about. the only thing that is evident is that you read a few paragraphs from super street magazine and now you think you know what's up....show me a stock itr that needs 100 octane and has a 9K factory redline

·
Registered
327 Posts
read this:
Integra type R vs Integra GSR. - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum

if someone says that the Type-R engine is not worth the extra money over the GSR is crazy. That amount of engineering did not go into the GSR. Can you reach the same performance gains of the ITR for the amount of the difference in the ITR and GSR? Maybe, but why? To put that money into a engine to be as fast as a stock R? Why you ever argue the fact that someone would want to upgrade to a factory performance engine instead of buy the parts and paying for labor on theirs to only hoping it last half as long. and when I say 9k, no they do not rev that high factory, but can rev that high and will make power all the way to it. I don't know why you seem to think Honda "cheaped out" when building this motor but you are mistaken. When I say stronger, I don't mean stock for stock, but as far as higher reving and racing conditions, the R was made for it. As far as the GSR intake manifold, engineering yes, but very poor. That is the worst intake manifold you could have. Blox and Skunk2 intake manifolds, they were based around the Type-R intake manifolds. They must have done something right. I am not going to argue opinion for opinion because some people would rather have a built GSR making 190whp, some people would love to have that awesome factory performance of the stock ITR and not having to worry about how well they, their friend, or shop did putting the engine together.

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
No one is saying the ITR isn't a better motor than the GSR. We are saying it's a waste of money for what you get that is BETTER. You can reach the same level of performance by putting ITR cams and a Skunk manifold and a retune on a GSR motor.

The ITR motor was built with racing in mind, circuit racing where you are beating the shit out of the motor for extended periods of time, hrs of racing. Where shit needs to last and all that little shit makes a difference. You don't race, his friend isn't going racing nor is he building a race car and if one were going to build a track car, most would BUILD a motor to do so and use more expensive parts that are even BETTER than the stock ITR parts from Honda. Which is fucking obvious, or there wouldn't be so many tuner companies in Japan.

His friend sounds just like you, I want ITR cuz it's itARRRRR yo. :lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts