Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
No one is saying the ITR isn't a better motor than the GSR. We are saying it's a waste of money for what you get that is BETTER. You can reach the same level of performance by putting ITR cams and a Skunk manifold and a retune on a GSR motor.

The ITR motor was built with racing in mind, circuit racing where you are beating the shit out of the motor for extended periods of time, hrs of racing. Where shit needs to last and all that little shit makes a difference. You don't race, his friend isn't going racing nor is he building a race car and if one were going to build a track car, most would BUILD a motor to do so and use more expensive parts that are even BETTER than the stock ITR parts from Honda. Which is fucking obvious, or there wouldn't be so many tuner companies in Japan.

His friend sounds just like you, I want ITR cuz it's itARRRRR yo. :lol
So we agree the ITR was better built with more engineering for racing. It doesn't matter if I or the OP will be racing. I don't "need" anything that is on my car. But it is a fun hobby for me and if like to have the best motor that came in that car, so be it, I'm going to get it. I built my car as an all around car. It looks great, handles great, and now will perform great. The ITR is well WORTH the money if you have in mind that those aren't just any stock motor. I'll take a stock ITR over a built GSR any day. And no, if the GSR was built the same way as the ITR, I would want it to. Sorry I like to have the best of the best, is that a bad thing or are you just foamin?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
read this:
Integra type R vs Integra GSR. - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum

if someone says that the Type-R engine is not worth the extra money over the GSR is crazy. That amount of engineering did not go into the GSR. Can you reach the same performance gains of the ITR for the amount of the difference in the ITR and GSR? Maybe, but why? To put that money into a engine to be as fast as a stock R? Why you ever argue the fact that someone would want to upgrade to a factory performance engine instead of buy the parts and paying for labor on theirs to only hoping it last half as long. and when I say 9k, no they do not rev that high factory, but can rev that high and will make power all the way to it. I don't know why you seem to think Honda "cheaped out" when building this motor but you are mistaken. When I say stronger, I don't mean stock for stock, but as far as higher reving and racing conditions, the R was made for it. As far as the GSR intake manifold, engineering yes, but very poor. That is the worst intake manifold you could have. Blox and Skunk2 intake manifolds, they were based around the Type-R intake manifolds. They must have done something right. I am not going to argue opinion for opinion because some people would rather have a built GSR making 190whp, some people would love to have that awesome factory performance of the stock ITR and not having to worry about how well they, their friend, or shop did putting the engine together.
yes it did......the type r has slightly better parts...not more engineering. you think port and polish is special? you're confusing the terms.......the gsr will rev just as high without an issue..hell b18b bottom ends will rev ridiculously high without major modifications and acheive more overall tq than the itr because of the increased stroke.....itr redline is only a couple of hundred rpm higher than a gsr.

me using itr parts on the gsr was an of how much less little work and money the gsr uses to achieve similar performance.....if you put the same aftermarket parts into the gsr that you do the gsr...you will end up at the same spot a.k.a "built motor"....so you can spend 4000-5000 dollars to have a stock itr in your car or you can spend 4000-5000 dollars to have a fully built gsr into your car exceeding the abilities of both original motors.....

yes we know the aftermarket parts were based off of some itr stuff.....but you're missing the point you can have the cheaper motor end up at the "SAME" point as the itr motor after you modify both of them the "SAME" WAY.....you act like the itr is light years ahead of the gsr motor.....how hard do you really think it is to put an intake manifold, head gasket and some cams into a motor? that's is the ultimate difference in terms of power and response of both motors.. their redline is separated by like 200-300 rpms simply because of the cam difference....you can have your 4K itr stock motor and i'll have my gsr for cheaper that will attain the same power and reliability of the itr in the end......it's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact that the gsr and the itr are based of the same platform with minimal differences.....it's not like you're comparing a d15 to a b18c5.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
you guys are also forgetting that you are going from a motor that you know (how many miles are on), to a wildcard
I don't care what any of these importers say they don't know how many miles are on these motors
also if I was to upgrade to a different motor it'd be a H2b or a K24

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
you guys are also forgetting that you are going from a motor that you know (how many miles are on), to a wildcard
I don't care what any of these importers say they don't know how many miles are on these motors
that was my next point....in the end if you're going to beat on the motor...it's only smart to rebuild while it's out...in which case you just spend 4K for the same thing as you swould spending 1200-1500 less

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes it did......the type r has slightly better parts...not more engineering. you think port and polish is special? you're confusing the terms.......the gsr will rev just as high without an issue..hell b18b bottom ends will rev ridiculously high without major modifications and acheive more overall tq than the itr because of the increased stroke.....itr redline is only a couple of hundred rpm higher than a gsr.

me using itr parts on the gsr was an of how much less little work and money the gsr uses to achieve similar performance.....if you put the same aftermarket parts into the gsr that you do the gsr...you will end up at the same spot a.k.a "built motor"....so you can spend 4000-5000 dollars to have a stock itr in your car or you can spend 4000-5000 dollars to have a fully built gsr into your car exceeding the abilities of both original motors.....

yes we know the aftermarket parts were based off of some itr stuff.....but you're missing the point you can have the cheaper motor end up at the "SAME" point as the itr motor after you modify both of them the "SAME" WAY.....you act like the itr is light years ahead of the gsr motor.....how hard do you really think it is to put an intake manifold, head gasket and some cams into a motor? that's is the ultimate difference in terms of power and response of both motors.. their redline is separated by like 200-300 rpms simply because of the cam difference....you can have your 4K itr stock motor and i'll have my gsr for cheaper that will attain the same power and reliability of the itr in the end......it's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact that the gsr and the itr are based of the same platform with minimal differences.....it's not like you're comparing a d15 to a b18c5.
So if the difference is in the head, your saying if I put skunk2 pro 2's in a stock ITR and a stock GSR, I will have the same power? GSR's need something like a Pro 1 and some valvetrain to reach stock ITR numbers. Also, once again, most people who do such swap, sell there old one. So really they are only paying whatever the difference is which in my case, $1800. and that was with trans. and yes, WE do know miles are on our motors, owners family actually pulls the motors from running cars and fills the container for us to ship our way. We may not know the EXACT mileage as that would be too much to label each engine with their mileage, but its like we tell them a mileage span that we want, and they get the cars within that mileage.

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
Sorry I like to have the best of the best, is that a bad thing or are you just foamin?
The best of the OEM best. Good for you, but this thread was a dude asking about ITR shit and you come in here going saying the ITR is the best shit ever. And going from a GSR to an ITR is fucking silly, and you both sound like you are doing it because it's itARRRRR yo, when you are spending a few grand for 20hp in a street car. That is the point we are making, that spending that kind of money on 20hp is fucking stupid if you are just after the performance increase.

If you are after the cool factor and jdm awesomeness then by all means spend that paper on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
see post above, i work for one. ;)

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
So we agree the ITR was better built with more engineering for racing. It doesn't matter if I or the OP will be racing. I don't "need" anything that is on my car. But it is a fun hobby for me and if like to have the best motor that came in that car, so be it, I'm going to get it. I built my car as an all around car. It looks great, handles great, and now will perform great. The ITR is well WORTH the money if you have in mind that those aren't just any stock motor. I'll take a stock ITR over a built GSR any day. And no, if the GSR was built the same way as the ITR, I would want it to. Sorry I like to have the best of the best, is that a bad thing or are you just foamin?
same level of engineering slightly better parts for racing. which mean nothing if you're going to mod the car. an itr is a gsr with better cams, different compression ratio, different intake manifold and a head that flows marginally better, but the gsr has smaller combustion chambers so it evens out. it's only better if you leave both motors stock...but the differences aren't drastic.... honestly the main difference in acceleration is due to the the tranny and cams....

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
The best of the OEM best. Good for you, but this thread was a dude asking about ITR shit and you come in here going saying the ITR is the best shit ever. And going from a GSR to an ITR is fucking silly, and you both sound like you are doing it because it's itARRRRR yo, when you are spending a few grand for 20hp in a street car. That is the point we are making, that spending that kind of money on 20hp is fucking stupid if you are just after the performance increase.

If you are after the cool factor and jdm awesomeness then by all means spend that paper on it.
rice logic

christ if i'm spending 4500 to build/buy a honda b-series. i'll have a ls/vtec or b20vtec and shit all over the itr and it'll rev....reliably...lol at high performance aftermarket parts being less reliable than factory budget built honda parts.....i could see the logic if you're talking f20c/f22c...but that motor is worlds apart from a b18c5...it's a 160 whp 1.8 liter

·
Registered
327 Posts

no, i didnt spend the money only for the JDM or cool factor, I purchased it because I love the work put into that motor and the performance of that motor.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
see post above, i work for one. ;)
I know that BB
but you still don't know what milage your motor had unless you got the whole front clip or its a USDM type r
don't get too mad about this, we all know your about the bling factor
thats cool no one is hating on that
but don't try to pass that bling off as being the end all when you can (especially these days) get a whole lot more for a whole lot less

·
Registered
327 Posts
rice logic

christ if i'm spending 4500 to build/buy a honda b-series. i'll have a ls/vtec or b20vtec and shit all over the itr and it'll rev....reliably...lol at high performance aftermarket parts being less reliable than factory budget built honda parts.....i could see the logic if you're talking f20c/f22c...but that motor is worlds apart from a b18c5...it's a 160 whp 1.8 liter
lol rice logic!?!? that is funny. :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
no, i didnt spend the money only for the JDM or cool factor, I purchased it because I love the work put into that motor and the performance of that motor.
dude the only extra work put into that motor was a hand port and polish...which does almost nothing...and the performance is similar to the gsr.....put a type r tranny on your b18c1 and tell me if you feel an honest difference in the performance of either motor.....the type r feels almost the same as the gsr...have you ever even driven an ITR? or did you just read about it

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
lol rice logic!?!? that is funny. :rolleyes
you were my inspiration

Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancement

you're paying for the name... on a motor that isn't even special. i know factory 1.6 liters that put out more power and torque if you want to really talk about "engineering"

·
Registered
327 Posts
No I am not about bling, I fixed the problems on my car with the best I could replace them with in my budget. And I am sorry, but everything I paid for was well worth the money. Paint, engine, seats, audio, wheels, suspension. you name it, it is all quality parts that I was willing to pay the money for. So what now, I am some fanboi because I have expensive parts on my car? Have you guys never had the pleasure of owning a car that you have put some good money into?

·
Registered
327 Posts
dude the only extra work put into that motor was a hand port and polish...which does almost nothing...and the performance is similar to the gsr.....put a type r tranny on your b18c1 and tell me if you feel an honest difference in the performance of either motor.....the type r feels almost the same as the gsr...have you ever even driven an ITR? or did you just read about it
Okay so, you port and polish a gsr head, put the same cams and valvetrain in it, and its going to meet the ITR in power?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
No I am not about bling, I fixed the problems on my car with the best I could replace them with in my budget. And I am sorry, but everything I paid for was well worth the money. Paint, engine, seats, audio, wheels, suspension. you name it, it is all quality parts that I was willing to pay the money for. So what now, I am some fanboi because I have expensive parts on my car? Have you guys never had the pleasure of owning a car that you have put some good money into?
exactly...and you drive a gsr a perfectly well engineered motor on par with the type r.....and if you bought only the best and you see the type r as the best you would've gotten it over the gsr. we aren't calling you a fanboi for wanting the best...we said you were one because you're only nutsack riding the itr over a gsr swap because of the name and a port and polish. your gsr motor has benefits over the type r and the same amount of engineering went into both motors. they're practically the same motor....you're arguing green grapes vs red grapes

21 - 40 of 54 Posts