Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

Quick question before i start playing with it, how do you remove the stock airfilter from the filterbox on a 2000 ITR ??

also does the K&N airfilter slot straight in the way the stock one does....or is there some fiddling or rubber rings needed etc ???

·
Registered
637 Posts
You should have like three screws on the airbox. Unscrew those and then that's it pull out the filter. The k&n fits right in there but makes sure and use some type of lube to get the factory tube onto to the filter it's a little tricky.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Slip the spring towards the Throttle body, the big silver thing attached to the other end of the hose near the motor.

Weasel the filter tube out of the rubber intake hose.

Voila all off, easy as pie...

The K&N will fit right back into the rubber intake hose with a little elbow grease. Then slip the spring back on and you're back in business.

The Filter box comes apart with a phillips screwdriver... These things are the beginner mods. Be sure to take yout time and do not lose any screws or bolts.

A.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey 1greyteg, thanx for all the info and help.....just need to check with you though....is the filter box size and filter size on the US typeR and jdm typeR the exact same size....

the reason i am asking this is that i have called a few "so called" Top performance shops in sydney, and one of them rang their supplier whilst i waited, and was advised they cant get the K&N air filter for the type-R. I gave them the id number of #2427 which you had stated somewhere, they said it was a US only id code....huh ??

the other shop, i had went in last week and they said they could get one, but to call them when i wanted it ordered. I called them this morning and they said they would call me back, i called a second time for an update, they stated they were still waiting on a callback from someplace.....

seems like a needle in a haystack....and i am a little peturbed about ordering it from US in case its the wrong size etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cannot get a K&N sotck replacement in the UK, they do not maufacture it here. The only replacement filter in the world that I could find that fits a UK ITR was the high flow filter from Comptech [email protected] I ended up ordering it from http://www.jhkellerag.ch/hondasport/itr_motor.htm in Switzerland as it was much cheaper on shipment. No noise gains but more throttle reponse. I would also like to know if the US K&N fits other world ITR models?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am also considering another option that popped its head up last week, a workshop i was speaking with said they could do a custom job on my air intake etc for about $250 (australian), which they have done to a few typeR's built for production car racing and had found good increases thruout the powerband....

wierd how hard it is to get a hold of a K&N filter......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rexxy said:
I am also considering another option that popped its head up last week, a workshop i was speaking with said they could do a custom job on my air intake etc for about $250 (australian), which they have done to a few typeR's built for production car racing and had found good increases thruout the powerband....

wierd how hard it is to get a hold of a K&N filter......
If u want a Knn filter u can get a ru-2820 and do a custom job with ur stock air filter elbow.

If your after a drop in filter federal auto sports has a trust foam drop in filter which is very similar to the spoon drop in, but considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What type of filter element is a monter air flter? is it drop in?

BTW how much u get ur mugen air box for?

interested in selling it cheap ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
don't waste your time on air filters. People always spend big bucks on different brands of air filters. Its a waste of money. They are all the same and u wont get any power out of them anyway, maybe 1 or 2 kw at 8000 rpm if ur lucky! :p All u need to do is feed a cold air intake to the original stock airbox, and take out the resonator. Thats it. You don't even have to change the filter. Stock type r filter is adequate.

This will cost u basically nothing, then u can spend the rest of ur money on something else, like adjustable cam gears and get them tuned, or a vtec controller.

I can't believe you would even consider paying $250 for an "air filter kit"!

·
Registered
37 Posts
TypeR509 said:
don't waste your time on air filters. People always spend big bucks on different brands of air filters. Its a waste of money. They are all the same and u wont get any power out of them anyway, maybe 1 or 2 kw at 8000 rpm if ur lucky! :p All u need to do is feed a cold air intake to the original stock airbox, and take out the resonator. Thats it. You don't even have to change the filter. Stock type r filter is adequate.

This will cost u basically nothing, then u can spend the rest of ur money on something else, like adjustable cam gears and get them tuned, or a vtec controller.

I can't believe you would even consider paying $250 for an "air filter kit"!
Well the mugen CAI makes a lot more than 1 or 2kw and AEM CAI and comptech icebox also make slightly more than 2kw. But i know wat you're saying our intakes are already good enough. but the reason why people get drop in filters or other filters is so you don't have to keep changing it every 20,000kms and it will give better throtle response aswell as 1-2hp more power.

And BTW i think our cars lose power if you take out the resonator and even if u add a homemade cold air induction pipe it still loses power clik on this link the guy lose 9whp just taking out the resonator and with a homemade cold air feed still gave him approx 3whp less than stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TypeR509 said:
i didnt lose any power, i gained 2kw on the dyno

wanna get jun or toda cams though..one day haha
yeah what did u use to feed the stock box cold air? and how did u do this?

and it improved throughout the whole power band?

you got the dyno graph?:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry i dont care what story the dyno tells but the resonator on the stock ITR is a bottleneck! The only reason it is there is to supress noise!

·
Registered
13 Posts
dont have a scanner, otherwise i would post it online. Listen if you want power, stop worrying about ur intake and save some money and spend it on something that will give you power. My pipe is just a rubber tube that stretches from the bottom of the airbox to behind the splash guard underneath the car. Looking from the engine bay, everything looks stock. I havent changed the airbox or filter. Some people say to replace the air filter with an aftermarket one. Its up to you. I guarantee you will not feel any power increase if you do this. by the way, open box is shit. It will suck in hot air, and u'll here the intake sound, which is, in my opinion, the worst sound ur car can have. With my setup now, closed airbox and 5zigen exhaust, my car sounds almost like a ferrari. It screams.

listen, get a nice header, adjustable cam gears, a new computer. Then get it all tuned PROPERLY on a dyno and you should be seeing high 13's on street tyres. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TypeR509.....hehehe you have had work done by the croyden boys.....cos you sound just like them....word for word...you did your custom mods to the air filter, the 5zigen exhaust....next is the unichip with vtec controller and then the jun cams.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
hahahaha well sort of. But its the only way. Advan is alright too, but i dont think he has a dyno. He seems to know what he's talking about

·
Registered
10 Posts
TypeR509 said:
dont have a scanner, otherwise i would post it online. Listen if you want power, stop worrying about ur intake and save some money and spend it on something that will give you power. My pipe is just a rubber tube that stretches from the bottom of the airbox to behind the splash guard underneath the car. Looking from the engine bay, everything looks stock. I havent changed the airbox or filter. Some people say to replace the air filter with an aftermarket one. Its up to you. I guarantee you will not feel any power increase if you do this. by the way, open box is shit. It will suck in hot air, and u'll here the intake sound, which is, in my opinion, the worst sound ur car can have. With my setup now, closed airbox and 5zigen exhaust, my car sounds almost like a ferrari. It screams.

listen, get a nice header, adjustable cam gears, a new computer. Then get it all tuned PROPERLY on a dyno and you should be seeing high 13's on street tyres. ;)

i agree to a certain extent........ freeing your intake is one of the better cheaper mods you can do to a Type-R. I have a similar setup to yours but with a K&N air filter and i can comfortably say it feels alot stronger than stock. I dont believe in piggy back ecu's its either a full blown ECU eg. PowerFC or nothing at all.

btw. i have unichip for sale if anyone is interested :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.