Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been busy on the bmw, so I have not been around here much lately. I thought I'd drop in an show you what I've been up to. Here's the layout:

Alpine DVA-7996, CHA-S624, and PXA-H700
PPI A100.2 --> DLS UR1 tweeters in a-pillars
PPI A200.2 --> DLS Iridium 3 dome midranges in kicks
PPI A300.2 --> DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.5 midbasses in the doors
PPI A600.2 --> 2 x Image Dynamics IDQ12d4's sealed
Stinger Custom Pro Power/Speaker Wires
Stinger Expert RCA's
Monster Optical Cables
Raammat BXT and Ensolite for Sound deadening
Mr. Marv Box

And here's some pics:

The original dash:

What it looks like now:

And at night:

One H700 Processor:

BMW is nice enough to mount the battery in the trunk:

Some fuses - just used the factory battery hold down to mount this stuff in:

There's a lot of wire in this setup - all speakers were re-wired:

Everything is securely routed and color coded, covered in split loom:

Rewired the doors - much easier then a civic!!:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No spare tire well :cry Apparently the Bavarians thought exhaust was more importatnt:

An out of date pic of my amp rack - see all the old school PPI lovin':

A-pillars before:

A-pillars after:

Kickpanels mounted - the drivers are in, I just don't have pics up of that yet:

The only door panels that suck more then 96-00 civics - the speaker is mounted to the door panel!!

That won't work - break out the dremel:

Add some mdf, modeling clay, and sound deadener (it's been reinforced more since this photo):

We start with a simple MDF box:

Add some mdf, primer (still have not done finish paint work), and time and you get this:

So, not so bad for a guy trying to build a rather stealthy install for street class.

If you want to see some more commentary/buildup photos, check out my sound domain site: www.sounddomain.com/id/sq_e46_m3

Comments?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have to finish up the trunk work on some fine tuning, but it's almost there....thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good to see you back. your work is just as good if not better than it as the last i remember. Nice equipment, nice work.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
iinnnfffiinnniiitteee baaaffllleee

jk

i like the sub setup. looks clean and professional!

·
Registered
936 Posts
You have 2 HU's for one car? Im :confused
And whats that H700 processor? Is it like a distributor block or equalizer? And why did u have to rewire the door? All I have done is install my amp n sub, and all i did was run like 3 wires and it was done.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i97supratti said:
You have 2 HU's for one car? Im :confused
And whats that H700 processor? Is it like a distributor block or equalizer? And why did u have to rewire the door? All I have done is install my amp n sub, and all i did was run like 3 wires and it was done.

its not 2 headunits.

one of them is the headunit and the other is the head display for the alpine h700 processor. The h700 is a digital processor system where you can control the EQ, xover slope, xover point, etc all within comfort of your seat. the setup is very versatile.

when you're running more power than what the stock system can put out, its better to be safe than sorry. BMW aren't going to spend their money just so the end user can upgrade to a better setup.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GSteg said:
its not 2 headunits.

one of them is the headunit and the other is the head display for the alpine h700 processor. The h700 is a digital processor system where you can control the EQ, xover slope, xover point, etc all within comfort of your seat. the setup is very versatile.
That's essentially what it does - my buddy's wife got in the car the other nigh and the first question - "why do you have two radios?" Everyone asks this question....

when you're running more power than what the stock system can put out, its better to be safe than sorry. BMW aren't going to spend their money just so the end user can upgrade to a better setup.
The midbass wires entering the door are 16ga from the factory with a 18ga lead (maybe 20) for the tweeter and midrange, so they are plenty for most systems. I just didn't want to have to cut or build a custom interface to reuse them, so it was easier, in the long run, to rewire the doors seeing that I only reused 2 of the 12 factory speaker locations. There are 11 individual runs of wire from the front of the car to the trunk, so the carpet had to come out anyway.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
crx4luke said:
Good to see you back. your work is just as good if not better than it as the last i remember. Nice equipment, nice work.
Agreed, you always have some of the best work here. I wish I could get off my lazy ass and get something done like that...of course I need money to do that too I suppose...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts