Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been saving forever and finally got a big chunk of cash in my sock drawer :D I want to turbo charge my 2000 GSR. Presently i only have an AEM cold air, and some skunk 2 springs on it. To turbo charge and to get the best performace without having to worry about my engine blowin to bits, whats a must have, what do i need to get along with the kit?

thx

·
Registered
124 Posts
well you wont need your intake because most tubros have their own form of an intake. you will need a turbo kit, go with rev hard or greddy (small turbo is the only downside...upside faster spoolling), you will need a boost controler, new injectors, new spark plugs, possibly a new ingnition system, piggy back ecu would help with tuning, fule pump, turbo timer, boost gauge, a/f gauge, and some other littel gauges...oh and INTERCOOLER is a must have!. um...thats about all i can think of for now...

as far as how much boost you should run, since the gsr has a 10:1 compretion ration you only want to run up to 8 psi. to run more you would need to put 9:1 compretion ration pistons, JE makes good forged ones. you also want to build up your bottom end to handle more power. also what i try to tell a lot of gsr guys is that our cars are built for n/a so we have a higher final drive which is bad for a turboed car (ls tranny is better thats why the ls is such a good platform for turbocharging), and we have vtec....as you know vtec is the variable vavle timing electronic lift control (is everyone impress i remember that:rolleyes: ) which means the you have a lot more valve over lap...this is how power is obtained in an n/a car. this is BAD for tubros, you dont' want vavle over lap with a turbo. on the plus note though the gsr block is stronger than the ls block because it has interwoven metal things in the block i believe (dont quote me, but i know there is something in there that is in the metal that makes it stronger than the b18b).

this is just what i know, there is a lot more detail you should look at that can't be explained in the integra forum...you would have a lot more luck in the turbo forum because thats what those guys deal with day in and day out. hope this helped you out a little and gave you a little better understanding of turbocharging cars that are n/a from the factory.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A lot of times when you buy a turbo kit like Drag or Revhard a lot of things that he listed are included, such as the intercooler, injectors and fuel pump. Just look at the package to see what it includes. Although most the time the fuel pump they give you is an inline one and you might want an in-tank one as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you only want an intake one if you are gonna run bigger injectors, ive seen the high pressure intank pumps crap out, it cant handle that 80 - 110 psi like two pumps can, but if you get bigger injectors the pressure wont be as high

·
Registered
53 Posts
but deMad10 is right, i have the drag kit, and the only thing i bought besides the kit was a stainless steel return line and earls fittings, a missing link, turbo timer, and some apexi gauges

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question

Got another question. How much does a Motorsports shop usually charge to install one? I know it depends on the shop but guessdamate average cost that i will have to rack on to the 4g's i'm ganna be slamin on the desk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts