Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because it was suggested i move this post to this forum:

Alright, i'm trying to put a JDM b16a auto in my 2000 auto DX.. Now if it were manual, i could use one of the OBD jumpers... but i don't think they could be used with an auto ECU?? And this harness is a Left Hand Drive harness, and i believe that will cause a problem also.... I know some other idiots have tried this swap before, so if someone could help with some wiring information, that would be great!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
try looking at this site,

http://jkobdconversionharness.com/mpc/docs/Site/Home.html

it where i ordered my obd2 auto to obd1 auto harness for my h22, and i think its the only auto harness builder out there. if you want any more info, just email him, his name is jason and he is pretty quick about responding, i get a small disount on his harnesses for my business, but i believe the retail price is 170.00 or 190.00 shipped. either way its a great deal, unless you like spending lot of time and effort in manualy rewiring.

·
Registered
105 Posts
96 accord ex coupe, currently under the knife, doing octane r34 front bumper, wide body kit, shaved handels/emblems, paint, swap, and more.... will post pics soon of start to finish, and progress in between.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
won't be a legal swap no matter how you look at it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its easy to just say that.... WHY is it not a legal swap?? emission laws in texas are pretty easy.... the car just needs to put out the same emissions as the year car it is....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
dracos2001 said:
well its easy to just say that.... WHY is it not a legal swap?? emission laws in texas are pretty easy.... the car just needs to put out the same emissions as the year car it is....

because there was NEVER an automatic B16a produced in his year civic

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
temp03 said:
because there was NEVER an automatic B16a produced in his year civic
You sure about that? He has a 2000 Civic, & there has been an automatic gearbox for the B16A ever since the EG series (in Japan only).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
mls said:
You sure about that? He has a 2000 Civic, & there has been an automatic gearbox for the B16A ever since the EG series (in Japan only).
100% positive, in america there is no automatic b16a in the 98-01 year, therfore the swap would be emissions illegal, and an automatic in a b18c1 has nothing to do with anything

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100% positive, in america there is no automatic b16a in the 98-01 year, therfore the swap would be emissions illegal,
you wanna make a bet on that?? some states, and counties don't have very strict emissions laws... I've allready checked on the legality issue.... the engine needs to put out the same or better emissions then the 1.6L d series that came with the car...

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
temp03 said:
100% positive, in america there is no automatic b16a in the 98-01 year, therfore the swap would be emissions illegal, and an automatic in a b18c1 has nothing to do with anything
How does the gearbox have any bearing on emissions?!?!? All he needs to do it run the USA spec engine & match it up to a Japanese B series automatic gearbox.

·
Registered
105 Posts
true state to state emission laws very, like where I live in redneckville there anit not no none of them emissions to have to deal with

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
mls said:
How does the gearbox have any bearing on emissions?!?!? All he needs to do it run the USA spec engine & match it up to a Japanese B series automatic gearbox.

obviously you do not understand US emissions laws, which is understandable because you do not live in the states, so i will reitierate this

IN 1998 THE UNITED STATES DID NOT HAVE AN AUTOMATIC B16A, IF THE ENGINE DID NOT EXIST IN THE UNITED STATES YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN IT WITH THE CLOSEST RELATED ENGINE IN THE STATES, THE CLOSEST ONE WOULD BE A STICKSHIFT B16A FROM THE 99-00 Si COUPE, SINCE THAT MODEL NEVER CAME WITH AN AUTOMATIC HE CANNOT RUN IT AUTOMATIC BECAUSE THERE ARE NO EMISSIONS STANDARDS FOR AN ENGINE THAT DID NOT EXIST IN THE UNITED STATES

i hope that clears it up

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
dracos2001 said:
your right, there are going to run it agianst the emissions standards of an OBD-2b 00 D16y7....

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Well, if that is what the law says, then I guess I can't disagree. But you got to admit, the law makes no sense. How the hell does what gearbox you run have any bearing on emissions? I am not disagreeing with what you said about the law, but the law regarding the emissions based on the gearbox makes no sense.

How about fitting another B series gearbox up to the engine? Maybe a CR-V unit (might not work because it is column shift, correct?!?!), or an Integra GS/LS/RS. They should fit.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
mls said:
Well, if that is what the law says, then I guess I can't disagree. But you got to admit, the law makes no sense. How the hell does what gearbox you run have any bearing on emissions? I am not disagreeing with what you said about the law, but the law regarding the emissions based on the gearbox makes no sense.

How about fitting another B series gearbox up to the engine? Maybe a CR-V unit (might not work because it is column shift, correct?!?!), or an Integra GS/LS/RS. They should fit.

ok think of it like this, THE AUTOMATIC ENGINE HAS DIFFERENT CAMS, A DIFFERENT ECU, ETC....WHICH WOULD MAKE IT EMIT DIFFERENT LEVELS, IF THE ENGINE WAS NOT IN EXISTENCE IN THAT YEAR 1998 (which is was'nt in america) THEN IT IS ILLEGAL......HE COULD NOT USE ANOTHER AUTOMATIC GEARBOX TO MAKE IT LEGAL, the law makes total sense but i do not think that you understand it, which is not a bad thing i am just saying you don't understand it and thats why you dont get it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'll pass emissions..... can you speak for the specific emissions testing for every state, and county?? do you think the guy thats going to run the emissions is going to know a auto b16 from a d16??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts