Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the D16z6 in my 1995 EX with a JDM d15. My question is......do they use the same timing belt and water pump? Everything I can find says its a direct replacement engine, but I want to change the timing belt and water pump while its easy to access. I also bought a Exedy OEM spec clutch and new axles. Is there any other parts that I will need, (besides the normal plugs and wires, oil, filter etc.) for the swap? Will the p28 work OK or is there a better ECU to use. This is my DD, I am not building a race car so I dont need anything to crazy. Thanks for any info.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone can help clear the timing belt issue up thats would be great.... I hate buying parts that I dont need. I also just found where the d15b is supposed to have a more aggressive cam than the d16 and the JDM po8 ecu will make a little more power because of this. Any idea on HOW much power is at issue here? If its 2-3 H.P. I can just stick with my p28 but if were talking 10-12 hp than I'd swap it out (and change the necessary o2 sensor). On the other hand, with my H22A swap, the JDM p13 needed a EGR and knock sensor signal to run right. I swaped to a chipped p28 and dont need those. Am I looking at a similar situation with these 2 ecu's? I bought my EX used but am sure the p28 is totally virgin. This was supposed to be an quick easy swap, but the POWER bug always seems to bite me!!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
engine and tranny got here today, thanks for your help with the timing belt. I figured I'd do a compression check on my d16z6 today before I started pulling it and the fuc$ing compression tester came apart in the first cylinder I checked. I ended up getting it out with some easy-outs but it was a major pain in the ass. The EX has 171,000 miles on it and still has 170-177 lbs of compression in each cylinder. She's just leaking a lot of oil.......I think I am going to build it for boost and find another car. Wonder what the wife will think??????? doesnt everyone need 3 Honda projects?

· Registered
73 Posts
i know this is kinda a late post but you use the timing belt and pump from the z6 motor. they have the same deck height. the non vtec usdm d15s have a shorter deck. the d15b and d16z6 blocks are identical. the d15b is a 1.5 but has a longer rod then the other d15 motors, and a shorter stroke than the 1.6

cliff notes

1)d15b=d16 block with shorter stroke and longer rods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.