Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
you'll need a reinforcement kit like a beaks or bsq so you dont tear out your subframe with the bar. or, get a comptech sway bar/tie bar kit and you wont have this problem. :)

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
^^^ :tu

yup, it'll fit but you'll need a reinforcement bracket.

i have an ITR rear sway kit with the beaks products braces and a beaks products lower tie bar.

·
Registered
941 Posts
flyracerx said:
do i need reinforcement brackets for any rear sway bar i put??
Anything over our stock diameter (14mm) you will need to reinforce it. I heard of people doing fine with 19mm but those like the progress and ST already come with a reinforcment. The JDM ITR sway is 23mm compared to our USDM ITR's 22mm. Yes you will need the reinforcement kit from either Beaks or BSQ if you're using stock itr hardware. I hear the Beaks is better reinforcement wise, yet I have the BSQ and it hasn't tore, moved or squeaked since day one. Both do the exact same thing, its just the beaks has a plate behind the subframe which takes a little more work to install. Beaks is 60 compared to the BSQ's 20 bucks. It's all preference..

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
martinez32 said:
Anything over our stock diameter (14mm) you will need to reinforce it. I heard of people doing fine with 19mm but those like the progress and ST already come with a reinforcment. The JDM ITR sway is 23mm compared to our USDM ITR's 22mm. Yes you will need the reinforcement kit from either Beaks or BSQ if you're using stock itr hardware. I hear the Beaks is better reinforcement wise, yet I have the BSQ and it hasn't tore, moved or squeaked since day one. Both do the exact same thing, its just the beaks has a plate behind the subframe which takes a little more work to install. Beaks is 60 compared to the BSQ's 20 bucks. It's all preference..
if the bar is thicker, will it be more prone to ripping out? i really want this sway bar.. i guess i'll just bid on it. if you guys have any suggestions on which rear sway bar to get, let me know. oh, and also where to get this beaks thing. :tu

·
Registered
941 Posts
It really depends what kinda springs you are running in the rear...softer the springs the more work the sway bar has to do to keep the body from rolling; harder the springs less work the sway bar has to do.

Do you have the complete tokico coilover kit? and what are the spring rates? From what i remember they are pretty soft. Alota people on H-T area saying if you have rates about 400lb/in you can pretty much rule out tear out with the kits, anything less even with the kit you run a higher risk of tear out.

I think Kommon_Sense is running the comptech setup on softer h&r race for the sole reason to prevent tear out with such a big bar

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
martinez32 said:
The JDM ITR sway is 23mm compared to our USDM ITR's 22mm.
You're right but the JDM ITR only had the bigger 23mm size in the later years... it was 22mm also early on. I forget which year they switched, maybe '98?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i talked to this guy at honda. he said he recommended getting a kit from energy suspension and replace everything under there up to control arm bushings or something like that. i don't know.. i have ADD.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm.. which bushings do i need to replace exactly? so i can just write it down and go take it to honda or my shop or whatever.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh man.. i looked at the site, but it says it's made for 22mm sway bars. the one i'm getting on ebay is the DC-R 23mm?? oh great.. i'm screwed.. i'm the high bidder.. :bh what do i do?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do yous guys mean by tearing??
Are u saying u can tear out ur shocks if u use to thick of a sway bar ???

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
tegstar83 said:
Sorry man can u just clear up what is meant by that??
It tears out the subframe, not the shocks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts