Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I was wondering if the JDM b18c will pass smog, and if not, is there any way to make it pass smog. All of the U.S. motors 95 and older have too many miles. I don't want to spend all the money for a swap and have a motor with high miles. Anyone know?

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
Hi, if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I was wondering if the JDM b18c will pass smog, and if not, is there any way to make it pass smog. All of the U.S. motors 95 and older have too many miles. I don't want to spend all the money for a swap and have a motor with high miles. Anyone know?
yes. there's not that much of a difference.

· Registered
58 Posts
Look at it this way,m the reason the JDM type R motor produces more HP then the USDM version is because it has no cat and the compression is abite higher and the header is a 4-into-1 with a 2.5" collector. If you put a USDM Type R header, and put a cat on it and leave the compression alone, I think it will pass with Flying colours. I had a JDM B16A in my 1992 Civic H/B with a DC sport header, Intake, Tanabe Racing Madallion Exhaust and a MSD ignition system and it passed no problem. All I suggest doing when doing the sawp is to change the O2 sensor with a new one and you'll have less headaches when you go to Emission it.:D

· Registered
868 Posts
Usually the reason why you get a JDM motor is because it doesn't pass Japan's strict emissions testing. They have that whole strict clean air thing over there, so around 40,000 miles (new to us, old to them) these b-series motors get torn out and shipped to the US because they pass emissions here easy (we like all the smog...unless you live in California, then you might wanna make sure everything - catalytic convertor, O2 sensor, and all emissions control hardware). You should be fine with JDM motors though.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
i heard the jdm motors get beat on really hard though. i heard that don't change the engine oil nearly as often as we do since they have to get a new engine after every 40k or so miles or something, but just what i heard. i could be wrong. i know when i get an engine i'm going usdm just because what's 10 crank hp? i can't justify getting jdm over usdm and probably paying a little more for 10 crank horsies. :rolleyes:

· Registered
10 Posts
I heard that JDM engines all together are not smogable in cali? I'm trying to find out if i can smog my B16A in my civic hatch, i've heard I can't because jdm engines don't have a "crank positioning sensor" and so then it doesn't comply with smog regulations...

· Registered
1,382 Posts
jdm engines should pass in cali, as long as you run all emmision devices and the usdm ecu for that engine. i know of a few people that have passed here, plus i myself have a jdm engine. i just cant say that i have passed yet since i havent smogged my car yet
quikflip

· Registered
10 Posts
well i talked to a smog ref yesterday and he said he had to talk to his manager cause he wasn't sure that i could put a 99' JDM b16a in my 96' dx hatch because the b16 is dohc vtec and the original motor in my dx isn't. He said something about OBD2, i couldn't really understand what he was talking about. I really think he was clueless, but he was supposed to call me back today and never did... :mad

· Registered
10 Posts
Alright, heres what the Ref told me.

1) You can use the short block of a jdm motor, you have to use a US head.

my question: what's the difference and how could they tell the difference?

2) You have to use a USDM ECU with factory wire hareness, needs to be taken to a dealership to have them verify it's US and they need to give you an invoice.

3) It needs to pass tail pipe and he noted some JDM engines are a little higher in compression compared to their USDM couterparts. So it 'may' effect the results.

And this is for b16a.

· Registered
10 Posts
Coo! So someone else told me the only difference between the heads is on the intake manifold. So all i have to do is find a US b16 intake manifold, wire harness and an ecu, then i'm good to go.

what kinda harnesses can you mod to work with the ecu? any 96-00 civic harness?

· Banned
1,513 Posts
Deej said:
someone said i also have to hook up a crank positioning sensor? know any details about that?

also, is it hard to find an intake manifold? would i be able to use a carb legal one at the ref?
Yeah but thats easy. Just get an oil pump with the sensor and wire it up. As far as the manifold goes you should just get a skunk 2 they are cheap and come with carb stickers..thats what I used.

· Registered
10 Posts
alright coo, so lets double check this list i need:

1)USDM si 99-00 ECU with wire harness.
2)USDM si 99-00 OBD-II Intake Manifold.
3)USDM si 99-00 Oil Pump.

And if anyone asks, these parts come off the US B16A1, right?

Thats it, right? For the visual inspection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.