Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not entirely true the engine still belongs to a "recognized" engine family the B18 family and meets a "known configuration" If you work closely with the ref and you aren't a dick then the engine could be legalized. You are going to need some kind of proof of what engine it is in the US though. Basically it's not worth it though. If you think your getting like 10 more hp or something your not. We don't have 100 octane gas at the pump so even if you had JDM everything then you still wouldn't be able to realize the full power of the motor even on 91 octane gas. There is no reason not to get a USDM motor over the JDM counterpart in the case of a GSR motor which is what your talking about I think. Not to mention with a higher compression ratio that the JDM motors usually also have you will have a hell of a time passing on the Nox emissions which is cause by abnormally high combustion chamber temperatures. Which is cause by lots of things but mostly changes in compression ratio. My USDM D16Z6 even had trouble with Nox and it's stock I can't imagine getting a higher compression version and trying to pass it. Although my motor may have some other reason why the Nox was high I am not sure I stopped trying to clear it up once I passed and the certification was given to me. Just my opinion and experience. Peace!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know you weren't that's not always a problem either. The ref can approve weird engine swaps on a case by case basis. They still don't know what to do with this import craziness. They had a meeting not to long ago to discuss what actios they should take to remedy problems like this. The ZC can pass cert too! I know a couple people with the certs on the ZC but it's not easy/cheap as you may have to replace lots of parts to get the engine to pass if something isn't pulling it's weight like a coolant sensor or something your are going to have to start buying parts. I personally swapped ECUs, map sensor and coolant sensor with a buddy to see if there was a difference and there was a big difference. Using his ECU I eventually got the Nox to a passable level and hid the rest with a new cat. Trust me I know a ref and ask him questions all the time.

You are better off getting a USDM engine in every case all the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.