Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at swaping a new motor in my 92 prelude. its has the f22b and this motor blows. Anyways instead of swapin in the 5spd i thought the hell with it ill keep it auto. Now my question is how is the auto tranny that comes with the jdm h22a motor, are they just as crappy as the all the other honda auto trannys.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
what year is the engine/tranny from? i didn't know they made auto vtec 4th gens. maybe they don't and the engine ur getting is from a 5th gen. if it is, then hell no do a manual swap. u can't do the h22 justice with an auto. and that transmission is really bad at handling power. it's known to crap out with a stock car even, though 98-99's are more likely to fail than 00-01's. but earlier ones are a little faster

·
Registered
544 Posts
There is no evidence that the 4g h22 auto tranny is problematic. I dont think they are the same with the 5th gen either...so i'm gonna have to say they are your 'normal' auto boxes.

Honda SS/tiptronic was never compatible with with the lude, i feel it was a concept that they rushed into introducing.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
most honda auto trannys do have problems. especially when u start adding more hp to the engine or like to drive hard.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well if you think about it, the auto lude has 195-200hps and thats quite alot of hps for any 4cyl auto tranny to handle. Power of this magnitude requires to be tamed and the tiptronic auto isnt quite up to it, especially when it comes to using it to race or like a manual. They introduced the Level 10 kit for reasons of strengthening the auto box which works well. I would think the 4g normal style auto would be more friendly to the tranny cos it's well regulated and the tranny doesnt get dumped with unmanageable powers like that with the tiptronic.

·
Registered
333 Posts
jus_pa said:
Well if you think about it, the auto lude has 195-200hps and thats quite alot of hps for any 4cyl auto tranny to handle. Power of this magnitude requires to be tamed and the tiptronic auto isnt quite up to it, especially when it comes to using it to race or like a manual. They introduced the Level 10 kit for reasons of strengthening the auto box which works well. I would think the 4g normal style auto would be more friendly to the tranny cos it's well regulated and the tranny doesnt get dumped with unmanageable powers like that with the tiptronic.
Education required......
What is a LEVEL 10 KIT???????
And more to the point, have I got or do I need one (2000 SS)???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that in the US and canada they didn't make the 4th gen auto with vtec. but the engine im gettin is a JDm. I was told that in japan they had vtec autos there. also at the local shop they are selling the h22a with 5spd tranny for $2600, for the h22a auto is $1900. also my labor to switch it to a 5spd is goin to be huge. this isn't even including the extra parts that are needed. :bh

·
Registered
544 Posts
http://www.levelten.com/
I know they make one for the lude SS. The guy that had the kit installed says it made a huge difference when it comes to strengthening the tranny, and gives stronger launches and gear changes..

There is a 4th gen vtec auto and same with 5th gen (just not in the America :byye . The 4th gen h22a produces 141kws (as appose to 143 and 147 kws in series 1 and series 2 of the 5th gen).

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
at least put in a beefier torque converter if you dont swap out the whole trans...

but if ur swapping out the motor you may as well swap the tranny....

i wouldnt recommend a honda automatic with any serious power, it just isnt meant to handle it...

if you think about it, the honda autos are made for grocery-getters and the like, not performance applications... you just gotta think about the original intent of the equipment, what it was DESIGNED TO DO

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can vouch for the general performance ability of Honda auto transmissions, and agree that they are not the best. I 've always had problems with my Civic and Prelude with slipping and overall rough shifts, and with almost no mods to the engine too. But the SS tranny on my car has been reliable so far, with 123k on the clock, it exhibits some rough shifting but I have been using Lubeguard with my ATF and it helps out.

But if my tranny goes, i'm sure as hell gonna swap it out with a manual and invest to build the motor as well. :D

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
if you'd do some research about Level 10 you'd know about their horrible customer service and that they're known for not honoring their warranties. if u go level 10, you should do the full transmission upgrade, not just the tc.

and the lude was never made for straight line drag, which is why Level 10 caters mostly to domestics and some supras, maybe a few civic hatches with beastly engines. get a 5spd and take her on some twisty roads. that's where the lude shines.

if u have an SS i'd just enjoy the car as best you can without pushing too much power. stick to the basic bolt ons and if u want a lot of suspension work. and the day it goes out, swap it. if it never does, ur lucky, sort of.

but if ur going to swap a whole new engine in ur car, why the heck would u put an auto in. especially with the h22. go ahead with the manual swap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts