Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard of anyone with a turboed JDM ITR using stock internals? What's the max psi and the safest psi you can run on these types of motor? Can you guys also give me some proven HP figures? Lastly, is it worth it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
first, you should post this in the turbo forum, as you will get more knowledgeable replies.
second, you should do your research on turbo setups, then you will realize what a silly question this is. it is totally dependent on what kind of fuel management you use, what size turbocharger, intercooling, etc. etc. etc........ there are so many variables that no one can just say "you can't boost more than 8.6psi, hands down, cut & dry"

sorry, i know that's not the answer you want, but its just not a question that can be answered by a few short posts!! so read till your eyes are bloodshot!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
In my personal opinion, it is dumb to boost a motor with 11.0:1 compression AND non-strengthened internals....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
White98LS said:
In my personal opinion, it is dumb to boost a motor with 11.0:1 compression AND non-strengthened internals....

i disagree

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
boosted type R's are for Homo's:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
itr206 said:
boosted type R's are for Homo's:rolleyes:
See though yours is built up right, so it's definitely all good. It's boosting on 11:1 compression and not building up the internals that strikes me as pretty damn stupid. You're still a fag though. :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
White98LS said:
See though yours is built up right, so it's definitely all good. It's boosting on 11:1 compression and not building up the internals that strikes me as pretty damn stupid. You're still a fag though. :eek: :D

i still disagree

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
believe it or not , i have seen it done a few times, it will run great as long as you know how to tune out detonation and /or run higher octane, i run 94 religiously on the street even when not boosted.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Ok I don't wanna start any fights here, but seriously, why boost an expensive high-CR engine on stock internals when you can boost a low-CR engine for much cheaper?

To me, boosting an ITR engine on stock internals is dumb for a few reasons:

1. The freakin' swap costs over $4k usually. As opposed to an LS swap which is maybe $1k and comes with more turbo-friendly gearing and much lower compression. And if you blow the thing up, that's another extra few grand you get to spend.

2. 11:1 simply is not good for boost. Sure, it can be worked with and made decent with a lot of tuning, but there's just less potential than a low-CR engine. Why do you think factory turbo cars have 8-9:1 C/R's?? Why do you think all the badass, high-hp 11-second turbo Hondas have low compression?? It's certainly not worth spending many times MORE money to get higher compression for turbo....

3. VTEC is great for all-motor high-rpm hp but isn't as big of an advantage with boost. Neither is an 8400-rpm redline - useful but not incredibly important unless you're going for truly huge numbers in a mainly-for-the-strip car.

4. For the cost of a stock ITR motor swap, you could have a B18B swap, resleeved and fully built bottom end, which is much MUCH stronger, so you can run real boost and not this 5,6,7psi BS.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just giving some simple reasoning as to why a turbo JDM ITR motor wouldn't be the best idea on stock internals. You can tell me that it can be made to work and work well all you want - I'm just saying it's not the BEST way to go at all. Unless you build it up the right way and strengthen the bottom end - I'm not even a fan of turbo LS on stock internals.... or turbo FWD's for that matter, but that's just personal opinion and people should do what they like.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
White98LS said:
Ok I don't wanna start any fights here, but seriously, why boost an expensive high-CR engine on stock internals when you can boost a low-CR engine for much cheaper?

To me, boosting an ITR engine on stock internals is dumb for a few reasons:

1. The freakin' swap costs over $4k usually. As opposed to an LS swap which is maybe $1k and comes with more turbo-friendly gearing and much lower compression. And if you blow the thing up, that's another extra few grand you get to spend.

2. 11:1 simply is not good for boost. Sure, it can be worked with and made decent with a lot of tuning, but there's just less potential than a low-CR engine. Why do you think factory turbo cars have 8-9:1 C/R's?? Why do you think all the badass, high-hp 11-second turbo Hondas have low compression?? It's certainly not worth spending many times MORE money to get higher compression for turbo....

3. VTEC is great for all-motor high-rpm hp but isn't as big of an advantage with boost. Neither is an 8400-rpm redline - useful but not incredibly important unless you're going for truly huge numbers in a mainly-for-the-strip car.

4. For the cost of a stock ITR motor swap, you could have a B18B swap, resleeved and fully built bottom end, which is much MUCH stronger, so you can run real boost and not this 5,6,7psi BS.

I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just giving some simple reasoning as to why a turbo JDM ITR motor wouldn't be the best idea on stock internals. You can tell me that it can be made to work and work well all you want - I'm just saying it's not the BEST way to go at all. Unless you build it up the right way and strengthen the bottom end - I'm not even a fan of turbo LS on stock internals.... or turbo FWD's for that matter, but that's just personal opinion and people should do what they like.
your an idiot and nothing you said is true whatso ever.
its been proved over and over that for drag racing shorter gearing is better.
i also happen to know 90% of the pro honda racers out there and guess what . . . they use 10:1 compression if not a little higher with boost and nitrous making anywhere from 700whp to 1k+ in hondas.
yes if your gonna do a swap thenb i would go with a diff motor. but in my case i already had an R . so fuggit . im not gonna sell my car just so i can boost a lower model integra

all this bullshit info from someone who prob cant even change their oil. this site really makes me laugh sometimes.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
How many times did I say "stock internals?" Yes believe it or not I REALIZE that you itr206 have an R, and therefore you did a turbo on that. That's fine and makes sense, how many times do I have to I say that? You don't have to get all offended and frankly disrespectful. And as a matter of fact I've installed every single part on my car with no problems.

All of the very fast street Hondas (and other boosted cars) I have seen have run "lower compression," as in lower than 11:1, which is exactly what you said - 10:1 qualifies as lower than 11.... I said 8-9:1 for FACTORY turbo cars. Don't confuse the facts that I stated please.

I know that shorter gearing puts more mechanical advantage to the ground. Since I don't have a turbo car, I can only go off of what people say - and I know several people who have had LS and ITR (JDM and USDM) trannies on their turbo LS's and liked the LS trannies much more (except for the lack of an LSD) because the turbo spooled faster with the longer gearing. They've said that by the time they reach full boost, it's time to shift already because of the short gearing. Maybe they're all idiots (like me :rolleyes:), but that's what I have to go off of, I usually trust those with first-hand experience.

I have always respected your knowledge very much, but if you're going to stoop to calling people idiots and making assumptions about their skills, then I hate to say it but we can do without that.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i have experience too , you think my R is the only car i built?
your wrong .
now with the LS tranny they built spool qwuicker becuase of the longer gearing ? can you explain how that works to me ? thew quicker the revs come up the better, like i said if your drag racing shorter gearing will always be better. if it wasnt everyone that drag races would be using ls trannies wouldnt they ? they dont . ITR, SI , GSR trannies are most used for a reason . then they just drop LSD's in them .
I just get pissed becuase people come on here for help and they get the wrong info from people that here from a friend of a freind that has no clue

plain and simple , shorter gears for acceleration
longer gears for top speed.
you pick what you want
as far as the compression dont even get me started on that. either eway will get you power, but one way youll need more boost then the other to get even close to eachother.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
there's no need for name calling we are all here for the same thing. white98ls adds a lot to this forum.

If i already had a b18b which the orig poster does i wouldn't go swapping the engine to get a higher compression and vtec. For the money spent you could build the motor better and get more psi. Will it have as much power as a higher compression motor on the same psi no. But it is a cheaper way to get to there. What would have more power an ls with a swap or a ls with a turbo. the cost will be close to the same.
If i did have a higher compression ratio moror like a gsr or R i would just boost that. (which i do and did).

Lower compression is alittle more forgiving, (which is why factory turbos are low compression so people dont blow them up). Higher compression more HP. Straight up drag cars use higher compression. I was talking to a guy the other day with a supercharged stang 11:[email protected] like 15psi. If you want high power you are eventually going to up the compression.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
i concur...you two add a lot to this forum and you both make good points...

anyways, that aside, what do YOU want to want to achieve with your integra? is it a daily driver? is it something you can engine swap and still have a ride?

all this has a factor....seeing as there is downtime..

give us more info as to what you have now and we'll all help you from there..

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Word..

I know my last 10 posts have been completely useless and not helpful at all.

But i just felt like participating, and i am a bit drunk.

BTW, sup tegXTR, i live across the street from your work...LOL

1350 ala moana

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
gurusan said:
Word..

I know my last 10 posts have been completely useless and not helpful at all.

But i just felt like participating, and i am a bit drunk.

BTW, sup tegXTR, i live across the street from your work...LOL

1350 ala moana

oh shiyat! haha nice bruh..

you prolly saw my teg then :tu:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Yaya, I'm looking for the right C/R on my LS/VTEC too. I want the car to make good NA power while I get the cash for the turbo setup and shit, I hear alex say 8:5:1 c/r for the LS/VTEC turbo, I talked to ITR206 he says run around 9:8:1, and I need to know the answer! lol, I'm lookin more around 10:1 c/r simply cause so many B16 turbos have made damn good power with a turbo and that c/r...I'm still confused though :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.