Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking around for a sir2 complete engine swap...anybody had any bad experiences with their jdm motors? And what did you pay for a obd 1 b16 swap?
Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
A friend of mine got a B16a2 JDM motor swap with OBD1 ECU that engine was way better than the SI engines out here in the states. If you can get a good deal on a jdm motor i say take it. Good luck with what you decide.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Carnage24 said:
A friend of mine got a B16a2 JDM motor swap with OBD1 ECU that engine was way better than the SI engines out here in the states. If you can get a good deal on a jdm motor i say take it. Good luck with what you decide.
The B16A2 is NOT a JDM engine, all JDM B16A’s do not have the head version # after the head ID. In other words they are all just B16A

·
Registered
155 Posts
I apologize for my ignorance ich_folge. I just was told by my friend that it was that engine code. I don't know if he got it wrong but i do know it was a jdm engine because E.C.P got it for him. Thank you for correcting me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do have a knowledge of B series engines. I would have to ; i have a B18c1. I do have a question for you ich_folge. I saw a B18c6 engine; now i know that is a Type R but what does the 6 on B18c6 mean? :confused:

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Honda is a really weird company all the JDM engines go by spec such as
B16A Si-R 1
B16A Si-R 2
B18C
B18C spec-R
But for every place besides Japan they use head ID’s like
B16A4
B16A3
B16A1
B18C1
B18C5
And so on

The way it works is

B16A3

B Block code 16 Displacement A Head code 3 head version and in some cases country code

So in the case of the B16A
It goes
B16A = JDM
B16A1 = EDM GDM
B16A2 = USDM
B16A3 = USDM

Now the
B18C spec-R is JDM
B18C5 is USDM
B18C6 is EDM “I think”

There is also a B18C7 as well

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
From my understanding, JDM motors are preferable to USDM ones (unless you're in California, like me, which means JDM motors are smog-illegal to install and use)

The reasons are:

1) More so than in the U.S., the *rich* drive in Japan. So they'll drive a car for a few years, then get tired of it and sell it. Many of these cars are low mileage (30k on average) when they are sold. Often they are parted out and shipped to the U.S. :p

2) In the U.S., people drive the hell out of their cars, especially the dependable Hondas. Thus, USDM engines are both harder to FIND (making them more expensive) and they have much higher mileage, on average.

So I wish I could get a JDM H22, but CA is a bitch. :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info. I know ahout B=block code, 16 or 18 for displacementand C or A =head code but i didn't know about the number that came after the C or the A. Yes you are right about B18c6 it is from European country. That is where i saw that stamp on a Type R engine. Again thank you for clearing that up for me. That was a great help.:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
hey fulgore243, i live in irvine right now too. why don't you get the swap right after you register your car so you will have another two years before you have to smog it. you don't know anyone that can get you through smog? if not you should go to a place and try to bribe them. trust me they'll do it. it's worth the hundred bucks. you only got to pay that once every two years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts