Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they say that the 98-01 Jdm type-r cluster wont work on my car? Is it because im OBD1? would the harness be different? They said that I need the 94-97 jdm type-R cluster..

· Registered
1,388 Posts
94-01 clusters are interchangeable with all integra models. the only time it won't fit is if u have an auto and the cluster is for a stick. that's pretty much it.

· Registered
33 Posts
In regards to the gauge cluster... I have a 1999 Acura integra GSR. After a devastating time when my car got stolen and stripped. I went and rebuilt the car. I put in a JDM GSR Motor with the JDM OBDI ecu and a "TYPE R GAUGE CLUSTER." I know originally the car is suppose to hit 140 MPH. When I was racing my friend the other day, my cluster maxed out at 190K KM/H which equals to about 110mph. Is it because of the Cluster that I maxed out at 190 Km/h or is it because I have a JDM ECU... That just totally tripped me out. I didn't think it would do that.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody else think something different? So that means a 2000 JDM ITR cluster will work fine with my 95 GS-R?

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Gsr95Vtec said:
Does anybody else think something different? So that means a 2000 JDM ITR cluster will work fine with my 95 GS-R?
You gotcha time's 2...

A.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
SSBGSR88 said:
In regards to the gauge cluster... I have a 1999 Acura integra GSR. After a devastating time when my car got stolen and stripped. I went and rebuilt the car. I put in a JDM GSR Motor with the JDM OBDI ecu and a "TYPE R GAUGE CLUSTER." I know originally the car is suppose to hit 140 MPH. When I was racing my friend the other day, my cluster maxed out at 190K KM/H which equals to about 110mph. Is it because of the Cluster that I maxed out at 190 Km/h or is it because I have a JDM ECU... That just totally tripped me out. I didn't think it would do that.
From what I remember and I could be wrong, just so you know I am working from memory and no links or printed information to back this up but;

The JDM/ECU has a speed limiter.

Could be totally wrong but, that's what I remember... Few and far between my memory is off but there ya go.

BTW if you are in Cali, how are you passing smog with a JDM motor and ECU? Or is it registered in DC?

A.

PS just for shit's an giggles I'm gonna follow up on this now and find out the truth.

· Registered
33 Posts
Its kind of stupid... But I have a friend out here that can make the car pass smog, by doing some crazy stuff to the engine... He can actually make a jdm motor pass smog out here... Its kind of crazy. I don't know how he does it but I know that he works on the engine like crazy and its not cheap for him to do it either. So that is how I am going to pass smog. But I won't need to pass smog until 2003. So I am in the clear untill then.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
what about the visual inspection? i'm sure that the numbers on that JDM engine won't match any numbers in the USDM databank.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
randyman said:
what about the visual inspection? i'm sure that the numbers on that JDM engine won't match any numbers in the USDM databank.
You will definately fail visual inspections...Inorder to pass the block number has to be a USDM code or you will need papers inorder to pass ie; signed by a smog technician and DMV inspector.

No "make-up" stamp will work or writing up of papers will work. The engine laws and smog laws are enforced here in Cali, tell me how you did it, IM interested.

· Registered
33 Posts
Well I have paper work for the purchase of the engine from a legitimate company, name Japan Motors in S. San Francisco. So the purchase of the engine is no problem. But as long as the vehicle passes smog, which it will... and as long as I have the engine purchase papers. All I need is to take it to the CHP. They will inspect the vehicle, know that the vehicle will pass the smog standard and issue me a new set of VIN numbers. The CHP will be the only people who can issue a new set of VIN numbers for vehicles that have been salvaged with other vehicle parts. That is basically how anyone would do it. If they want to make their JDM motor to be a legal motor in the US. DMV will create a new registration with the new issued VIN... The New VIN won't be the standard VIN that everyone is used to. I think it will be 10 digits. That is what I know of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.