Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually i would like to upgrade my IM and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the new JG edle. IM yet. I have always heard nothing but rave reviews about the skunk2 IM but was wondering if the JG is superior.

If it matters, i am running a semi built NA b18c1.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
"Although Honda did its homework when it came to designing the B-series engine, the engineers at JG Edelbrock have found ways to improve the intake system. Although the stock intake manifolds on B-series engines work fine on everything from stock to lightly modified applications, it can become insufficient when more extensive modifications are performed."

When items like high-lift cams, ported and polished heads and high-compression pistons are installed, the engine's air flow requirements increase. The primary job of an intake manifold is to direct the air from the intake tract into the intake ports of the cylinder head. If the plenum isn't large enough or the runners are too small, the resulting lower air velocity and/or lack of air volume going into the combustion chamber can impact the performance output of the engine.
ASG AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEM GROUP (JG EDLEBROCK DISTRIBUTOR)
(626) 281-7933

The skunk2 is basically a ITR manifold designed to bolt on a gs-r(b18c1) head. Upgrading to a manifold is only necessary when the stock IM is the bottleneck of your inatke system.

The VictorX is biggercompared to the skunk...big gains are more noticeable when mated with FI engines.

With a mild setup as you per stated...upgraded to either IM in negligible. The skunk2 is the best way to go as of now.

· Registered
784 Posts
what IM are you running with your ls/vtec setup?
my finished product will be a p/p gsr head, with skunk2 stage1 cams, skunk2 high compression valves, and s2 valvesprings w/ ti retainers
going to shoot for 11.0-11.5:1 compression, still have to research on which pistons i will use for that type of compression.
got the head set, and going to use crower b18b rods.
was going to go skunk2 IM also, is that a wise choice?
any opinions on what pistons i might want to use?
thanks for all your help so far.
if it wasnt for this forum i would be clueless! :)

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I went with the skunk2 IM mated with a ITR ECU.

Tune it and you got good gains. The VictorX is just overkill...too big.

Basically when buying rods most shops sell a piston/rod combo for cheap. THe OEM ITR pistons are suitable for your setup.

Type R pistons are a high-pressure die cast construction. This is the best way to make a cast piston. Since they are cast, they are not the best choice for a nitrous oxide-burning engine but they are excellent in all-motor applications. An advantage for cast pistons in a daily driver sort of car is they can use a much tighter piston-to-wall clearance. This makes for an engine that's quieter and burns less oil. Cast pistons are also easier on the cylinder walls....

For a Honda street engine that will run on pump gas, the maximum compression that should be run is in the low 11:1 range. The reason why Hondas can get away with this high compression ratio with modern unleaded fuel is mostly because of their superior combustion chamber shape and small bore diameters. Higher compression than this requires racing gas to avoid detonation. With cast pistons detonation should be avoided at all costs as they are more brittle than forged pistons.

The Integra Type R piston is available in two versions, the P73-00 JDM version and the P73-A0 U.S. market version. The difference between the two is that the JDM piston has a slightly taller dome, which gives about 0.2 higher compression. The U.S. Type R A0 piston is the piston to use in the larger displacement LS Frank engine, as it will yield approximately 11:1 compression with this combo due to its lower dome. The JDM 00 piston is the piston of choice for a B18C as it will yield about 11:1 in this combo.

· Registered
784 Posts
thank you so much for this info, and all the previous info you have provided me. you helped me out so much, and must be thanked for it!!!
must be cool to be you!!! hehe
thanks again.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on running the JDM ITR Pistons in my b18c1, with the head P&P, skunk2 stage II cams, skunk2 valvetrain, and lately i have been researching rods, would ITR rods be suitable for this set-up or should i go with some Eagle or Crower rods.

Also how much to ITR rods usually go for $$?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, just thought of another question. How about the Crower Econo-Billet rods? They are cheaper, and i am guessing not as good as their bigger bros but are they strong enough to run with a 9k rpm redline, 11.5:1 CR and hopefully 200-210 hp at the wheels.

· Registered
526 Posts
Yeah, I would suggest the Skunk2. My friend is running the VictorX on his fully built b16 turbo...and he said he wants to change to the Skunk2. Something like for a daily driver, he has to go really high on the rpms to get anything good. I guess it's for more full race setups.

· Registered
67 Posts
i have the edelbrock victor x and so does my friend with a turbo gsr. he and i both like it. plus it works better with turbo and nitrous applications. looks bigger and fatter the skunk2. also jojo callos was sponsored by jg edelbrock and look how fast his car is. i like skunk2, but i chose edelbrock over skunk2 on this one.

· Registered
419 Posts
i would say go with teh skunk2
the jg is bigger than the skunk2 and it is made for boost or a turbo setup. how do i know this, because i helped a girl with a gsr install her's over the weekend. also the jg is hard 2 install compared 2 teh skunk2.
all the though the jg gives out more hp for being a straight bolt on, but its sole purpose is for boost or n20 setup

some of that is facts and some that is my .02

i would say go skunk2 for a n/a setup

· Registered
2,575 Posts
yeah...basically its a b16 on the left and skunk on the right. But I was always under the impression that the skunk2 is just a ITR IM modified so it could bolt onto a gs-r head

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.