Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys finaly got the car tuned. but ran into a problem the belt keeps jumping off the pullys.

i have the JRSC crank pully and 6 psi charger pully, but it looks like the altenator keeps pulling the belt off by 2 teeth. how do i line up the altenator and the other pullys? am i missing some thing like a bracket?

please help me out as i think i have damaged a bearing on the charger already.

· Registered
40 Posts
if you are using a standard jr supercharger and standard jr alternator bracket its very hard to misalign them by that much. only thing i can think of is check you have tightened the pulleys on the supercharger and alternator all the way in. and i asume you have the correct intake manifold for the supercharger you are using? as they have different mount holes too.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the aluminum bracket that has both idler pulleys on it. but then how does the alty line up to the crank pully.

as you can see in the pic that the JR crank pully's ribs for the alty/SC do not line up with the stock one.even the 2 ribs that are there do not line up to the stock one. so you can see that the belt will be pulled off by the alty.
you can also see the that power steering ribs line up 100%. so how do i get the altenator pully to line up with thatof the JR crank pully?

or should i use the stock one and try get the chargers pully to line up with that?

· Registered
40 Posts
yeah there is a steel bracket the alternator bolts through which is then attached to the cast mount. but you'd have to be pretty special to put it on wrong as bits would be misaligned and bending...?
but looking at that picture i cant see a good reason why they have moved the ribs on the pulley? only gonna cause problems... is that a standard JR crank pulley? are you sure its for your engine?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"are you sure its for your engine?" there in lie the problem i know its for the D16 as the intake bolt to my head 100% but out here in south afirca things like the JRSC are rare i think i have one of 3 that are in the country so ya.

and it has had a few owners b4 me. i have the black bracket with the wheels on it, that the only bracket i have. am i missing one for the alty? hmmm

yeah the black pully is the JR one.

so what should i do try get the pully on the charger to line up with the stock pully or line the alty up with the JR pully?

· Registered
40 Posts
keep the stock crank pulley on, put the double alternator pulley on and any supercharger pulley. get this setup to run in line properly. the crank should line up with the inner ribs on the alternator pulley and supercharger with the outer ribs. if your alternator wasnt mounted right then you'd have problems lining both belts up. if just the supercharger belt is misaligned then check you have the supercharger pulley fully tightened on and that the supercharger is the correct size for your setup. if the supercharger belt lines up but the crank doesnt then something pretty wrong.

take it all apart and do it step by step... first the crank.. get that in line then attach the supercharger.. get that in line. leave that weird crank pulley out though... it looks like a stepper pulley because the first belt only has 3 ribs and the outer 2 have 4 ribs... whereas your stock pulley has 4 ribs on all 3 belts... so its never gonna work.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool ill try that this weekend thanks for all the help. ill let you know how it goes.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i think it could be for the y8 as the charger line up to the crank 100%.

problem is i have a A7 motor RHD. but im taking the off this weekend anyway so ill just space the pully to line up with the stock crank as that seems the easyest way to do it.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had some time to look at the setup today. every thing looks like its is lining up is there is way i can check this?

one of the idler pullys had 4 washes on it to space it out could this cause the belt to move that much.

there was this wierd rattle coming from the charger when i rev it just a little, between 2000-3000 rpm any ideas? i was thinking bears? :( but now with the charger off, i cant here any problems when i spin it by hand.

last thing. what type of oil does it take?

thanks for all the help so far.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
i had some time to look at the setup today. every thing looks like its is lining up is there is way i can check this?

one of the idler pullys had 4 washes on it to space it out could this cause the belt to move that much.

there was this wierd rattle coming from the charger when i rev it just a little, between 2000-3000 rpm any ideas? i was thinking bears? :( but now with the charger off, i cant here any problems when i spin it by hand.

last thing. what type of oil does it take?

thanks for all the help so far.
I'm pretty sure the JRSC uses castor oil. Other roots style SCs use NYE synthetic 605, so that might also be an option. Are you sure the rattle was from the charger, and not something else like the cat heat shield or some other component in or near the engine bay? I don't think the idler pulleys will cause the belt to move at all, unless the belt is hitting the ridge on the edge. Any pictures?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its the D16a7, it never had a cat. im 99% sure its ws the charger, but it could have been the idler pully.

cool about the oil.

but is there any fool proof way of lining up the pullys with out running the motor and seeing if they jump off? coz just by eyeing it looks right

· Premium Member
976 Posts
Is there any shaft play at the blower nose.. If so you might have to the the nose or snout assembly rebuilt. You can get eaton blower oil from you GM dealer, ford dealer, ebay, magnusonproducts many other places just make sure its a eaton blower oil.

GM part# 12345982 its for there M62 eaton blowers which would be the same oil for your M45 eaton. shop for the best price

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in sa only place to have it is merc. $40 for 118ml. how huch do i need to fill it?

there is no play in the nose. so thats fine.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
6oz = 177.441 ml hmmm so 2 bottle. at that price. ouch... waiting for a supplier to get back to me now tho. 200ml for R450. not bad

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.