Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking about building my motor for juice... was wondering if any of you have done this.. Im hoping for a significant gain... I've picked a car at random to build to beable to beat initially... I've decided I want to beable to beat a 2000+ celica gts 6 speed with intake and exhaust mods done... granted these cars are extremely fast but i think tis a good goal to attempt to reach with a d15 format initially... once i get there i can make a new goal for more... but i think im going to use nitrous... just want input as far as building the motor for nitrous and how big of a shot i should use... and of course what i should expect for gains from it... anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well, to be honest with you... You can just give up on the d15b8.. For they are extremely slow unless you have some kind of F/I... I got rid of mine a swapped in a d16z6... Then, you wont have any problems whoopen that slow ass celica... To me, they are slow ass cars... So dont nobody come try to flame me... Its just that I have never been beaten by one of those slow ass things...LOL

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
BTW, I have the same car... Read me sig and see what my little mods are... I dont have many, and I still nutt all over those slow things... N/A-2-N/A

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm i just wanted to kinda stick with the stock motor i was just looking for people who would know how i go about juicing the motor...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
XredlinerX said:
yes its the d15b, its the stock motor in my 94 civic cx, its dpfi

Remember now, you are working with a least 62hp.. I forgot how many horses are in the celica, but they are not extremely fast.... The amount you will have to spray to keep up with the celica will cause your motor to blow, not talking about the lenght of time that you will have to spray... I am running the d15b8 tranny on my d16z6 right now, and I still smoke them all day... So if you were to swap, it wouldn't be hard at all and you wont have to spend alot of money to get things up on P's & Q's... You will need just the motor and ECU P28... You can still use your old tranny, and even the axles... Trust me, you can do it yourself... GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
i wouldnt say a celica GTS is extremely fast. but good luck beating it with a CX with a little 50 shot. if the motors in the condition to handle it

·
Registered
478 Posts
XredlinerX said:
Hey guys im thinking about building my motor for juice... was wondering if any of you have done this.. Im hoping for a significant gain... I've picked a car at random to build to beable to beat initially... I've decided I want to beable to beat a 2000+ celica gts 6 speed with intake and exhaust mods done... granted these cars are extremely fast but i think tis a good goal to attempt to reach with a d15 format initially... once i get there i can make a new goal for more... but i think im going to use nitrous... just want input as far as building the motor for nitrous and how big of a shot i should use... and of course what i should expect for gains from it... anyone help me out?
i have the absolute PERFECT article for you to read.
http://sohchonda.com/articles/articles.php?article=0001

"How to build a 13s Civic for under $3000"

basically deals with nitrous build on old tired motors/chassis and whats involved as far as mechanical and chassis prep as far as what to expect.

nitrous is easy. however it won't take you anywhere near your goal.
in the case of just "bolting" on the nitrous kit to this motor yes you wont get anything near what you want to do.

now if you did everything using the best OEM parts available, (trans, cam, head, ECU, mpfi, etc) did soem chassis preperation, and then ran the nitrous youd be close if not eclipsing your benchmark. the guy was right, the celica GT-s's are not that fast.. but there is ABSOLUTLY NOT ONE WAY IN THE TANGIBLE WORLD that any motor with simply bolt-on "breathing mods" and STILL utilizing the "DX/LX/CX" transmission will EVER TOUCH the Celica GT-S in ANY manner.

even on the bottle you are at an inherent disadvantage with the DX lx CX "econo" transmissions.

the transmission is the biggest weak link. theres "no hope" for the transmission.. get rid of that and theres hope for any motor if your willing to do the leg work you can make any of these cars/motor fast with the right combination as a basis.

·
Registered
478 Posts
ginyu6869 said:
You can still use your old tranny, and even the axles...
you can... but it isnt the best option for performance.
comparitivly an EX or Si trans swap is better than just doing a d16 block/head swap on these cars IMO

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
asianpride559 said:
i wouldnt say a celica GTS is extremely fast. but good luck beating it with a CX with a little 50 shot. if the motors in the condition to handle it

Been there, done that, on the cx tranny...!!! What can I say, maybe its the driver...LOL

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
4dr said:
you can... but it isnt the best option for performance.
comparitivly an EX or Si trans swap is better than just doing a d16 block/head swap on these cars IMO

Remember friend, thats just to get him started... Sometimes, you can find just the motor for really cheap, especially if you are buying it from a place that needs to pull it... I got my d16z6 without tranny for $250 everything else included....!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
^^ defintly agree.

but i just wanted to make it clear how important it is because i see so many people doing swaps and thinking about the transmission last or not even at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts