Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay perhaps a newbish question but one of my friends got me thinkin when I mentioned ho wmuch turbo setups cost he said why not get a setup out of the junkyard. So i thought and it seems like it may work. What if say I took the entire turbo setup off of a 95 or so turbo talon or eclipse? I'd have to male a mounting barcket to fit the honda manifold but the MAP sensor would detect the extra pressure and increase the fuel ratio automaticsllyand as long as I got all the plumbing off the donor it would work wouldn't ? Aside from maybe havin to tweak the timin a bit it seems like a cheap alternative to a aftermarket turbo. I know the old mopar guys have been doin this to their slants for a while put a GM efi on it and bout any turbo of a smaller car and bam its turboed the efi MAP or MAF sensor automatically tunes it to a degree so they run pretty damn good. Hella lot better than stock. So would this work for the Accord?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the compliment. Is their anything I should be wary of when running this setup? Cuz if I did it I'd use the Turbo out of an Eclipse because it engine displacement is bout the same. From what I remember seein under the hood on my freinds Talon all it had was the turbo on the manifold witha pipe runnin from the turbo to the filter box then to the intake is their anything I'm missin? What kinda tunin would I have to do with this setup? Obviously the computer could automatically tune it to a degree but not completely whats else would have to be tweaked? All input appreciated

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
this is like running the twin turbos on my buddy's MX-6 (sick car, awd conversion, pics to come)

it was a completely custom job, and involved many days of frustration, measurements, mock-ups, designs in soapstone on the garage floor and such...

the easiest way to go would be to get your hands on the parts list and instructions for an existing turbo kit. granted, you will have to change them, but at least you have something to base it off of...

you could almost certainly get the piping from junkyards and weld it together to be what you need (not the prettiest, but this clearly wont be a show car, it will be a go car, so who gives a fuck how pretty the stuff that makes it go is?) you'll probly want to buy the wastegate new so that you're sure it will open properly, along with the blow off valve, and you'll need some type of modified ecu...

when it comes down to it, this is going to involve some trial and error... for me and my friends, its a fun way to kill time and save a buck, and have a fast car, but we all have multiple cars, so when one is on a lift, we still have wheels (why buy one car for $10k if you can buy 3 for $2k a piece, and have them be just as fast?)

good luck and i'm sure it will come out well... if you're anywhere near me i would be glad to help out or offer advice in free time...

·
Registered
365 Posts
bonestock94 said:
cheap ghetto engine management is get missing link to trick the MAP and tune with a AFC for an FMU.
english please? :nuts

(i know the MAP, but what're the other two?)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would this etup work using the turbo wastegate blowoff valve and piping off the eclipse mount maybe adjust the timing a few degrees if necessary, without a ecu change wouldn't the map sensor automatically tell the computer to bump the fuel ratio up to compensate for the increased air flow? Anyone know what psi the eclipse runs at? And without ecu changes how much power this might add? With ecu tweaks? All info appreciated

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
How would this etup work using the turbo wastegate blowoff valve and piping off the eclipse mount maybe adjust the timing a few degrees if necessary, without a ecu change wouldn't the map sensor automatically tell the computer to bump the fuel ratio up to compensate for the increased air flow? Anyone know what psi the eclipse runs at? And without ecu changes how much power this might add? With ecu tweaks? All info appreciated
Custom piping needs to be fabbed for your car.
As well as a turbo manifold needs to be drilled or custom fabbed for you.
Without an type of ecu change or modification i would not run the turbo.
The MAP sensor will not compensate for anything above........uh.......i think 3lbs?..........i might be wrong so dont quote me on that.
But what I do know if any boost on stock everything will throw a code and you will most likely cause damage to your motor.
Turbo is one of those things you need to spend TIME and MONEY on.
I beleive the stock dsm turbos were efficient to 7-8lbs and some were good to 12lbs but beyond that efficiency goes downhill and you push the limits of that small spinning snail.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
map with a missing link and AFC (AFC hack) works for 10psi and lower. however new data shows that the afc hack is pretty bad, at low rpms it recurves the ignition timing and runs with ridicuoulsy advanced timing but its masked with fuel richness.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meaning what exactly? Remember I'm still learnin bout this stuff will that suck my driveability down or hurt my engine is there any other way round my ecu problem?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
Meaning what exactly? Remember I'm still learnin bout this stuff will that suck my driveability down or hurt my engine is there any other way round my ecu problem?
Meaning that it can seriously jack around the engine........which means bad things............which means dont do this afc hack and try to find a real engine management system
AEM EMS
Uberdata
Hondata

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
hobie237 said:
if the engine is properly built, it should be fine...

make sure its tuned and it will be driveable just fine and not hurt the motor
Properly built ok; improperly tuned at the same time and pushed......the shit will just blow up or tear itself apart.

Built and tuned, it will run just happy and dandy

Tuned but not built; it'll run great!......just not that quick at all.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What could I expect to pay for a hondata or uberdata management system? And explain properly tuned...I maintain oil all my filters, plugs the engine runs strong with no hiccups or misses what would have to be tuned? All in fo is appreciated

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
What could I expect to pay for a hondata or uberdata management system? And explain properly tuned...I maintain oil all my filters, plugs the engine runs strong with no hiccups or misses what would have to be tuned? All in fo is appreciated
oil, filters, plugs, wires, is maintainence.
Tuning means adjusting timing, fuel maps, enrichment points, fuel and air ratios, and a whole mess of other shit im prolly missing. Tuning is usually done on a dyno.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Properly built ok; improperly tuned at the same time and pushed......the shit will just blow up or tear itself apart.

Built and tuned, it will run just happy and dandy

Tuned but not built; it'll run great!......just not that quick at all.......

well, to me, the term "properly built motor" means that everything was done PROPERLY... meaning the actual build, the tuning, everything... sorry i wasnt more clear

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
oil, filters, plugs, wires, is maintainence.
Tuning means adjusting timing, fuel maps, enrichment points, fuel and air ratios, and a whole mess of other shit im prolly missing. Tuning is usually done on a dyno.
yep and they arent cheap to have them professionally tuned they are normally about $300 for just the tune + however much dyno time costs which is about $75/hr depending on area. but well worth it if your making some serious power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts