I just bought a 1993 Del Sol Si.

Mods:
Stage 3 Racing Clutch
B18b1 swap with b16 tranny
MSD ignition
Cold air intake
Headers
Stock Exhaust

The car has a lot of power above 5,500 RPMS, it really takes off. But before 5.5k rpms, it is gutless. The cold air really sucks in air, and you could hear it, its awesome. I was wondering how I could tune it so that it would have more bottom end power? I dont know if the MSD ignition could be timed off, or if having the stock exhaust really bottlenecks the power? I am thinking about getting a full catback exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Neil

#5 ·
Go to a local garage that does dyno's and they'll tune your ECU to benefit from the mods it has. With the ECU how it is from the factory it's tuned to be economical, therefore it doesn't get any real noticeable power benefits out of taking in more air and putting more exhaust out. Having it tuned will make it benefit from these mods by basically telling it there's an increase in air(along with fuel if you ever get an aftermarket fuel pump) coming in so it'll use that increase in air rather then just using the stock amount that it's programmed for.

#9 ·
Another thing to think about is the fact that the engine needs some internal mods on it to gain low end horsepower and torque. After all it is a Honda. It was never designed for the low end.
With that in mind, if you altered the camshaft with a more aggressive profile you might gain some low end power. Also, you could consider boring the engine cylinders out and getting some more displacement out of the engine. Maybe you simply need to advance the timing with timing gears. Or you could invest in that exhaust system with a freer flowing catalytic converter.
But, cheap low end power is not really terribly likely since it is a 4 cylinder Honda motor built to be efficient not powerful.

#13 ·
Or you could invest in that exhaust system with a freer flowing catalytic converter.
But, cheap low end power is not really terribly likely since it is a 4 cylinder Honda motor built to be efficient not powerful.
i would def put get new pipes from headers back dude, your car's sucking in a bunch of air and sending it out smoothly through headers but then getting all tossed around and bunched up in the stock cat and muffler. get all of the easy stuff opened up and free flowing before anything else.

#11 ·
tuning will help some but the exhaust will probably help most in the top end. If you want more torque pop a B20 block in there and then have it tuned and you'll be doing fine.

P.S. The honda motors don't have much low end, big deal... You will be in the bottom end for a short time in first gear after that you butter just use the top half of the tach. They put a close ratio trany in there for a reason.

#12 ·
Hmmm

When I floor it, just in neutral, It lags for about maybe 1/2 of a second, and then goes... like its like vruhhh-----vroom.... lol.... I dont know... It has MSD ignition on it, could those be set up incorrectly? It like lags when you floor the pedal when its idling at 800 rpms?

#18 ·
When I floor it, just in neutral, It lags for about maybe 1/2 of a second, and then goes... like its like vruhhh-----vroom.... lol.... I dont know... It has MSD ignition on it, could those be set up incorrectly? It like lags when you floor the pedal when its idling at 800 rpms?
There is usually some lag but very little before the RPMs rise.

#19 ·
Yeah...

It definately is not running right in lower RPMS. There is no plug in the IAC sensor... the one next to the MAF sensor. Also... it has a check engine light, previous owner told me it was the O2 sensor... so Im thinking if its a bad O2 sensor and the IAC is missing... that could be the problem.... but which one is more likely to cause the most decrease in power?

Thanks,
Neil

#20 ·
It definately is not running right in lower RPMS. There is no plug in the IAC sensor... the one next to the MAF sensor. Also... it has a check engine light, previous owner told me it was the O2 sensor... so Im thinking if its a bad O2 sensor and the IAC is missing... that could be the problem.... but which one is more likely to cause the most decrease in power?

Thanks,
Neil
ok...first of all hondas dont have a MAF sensor. we have a manifold air pressure sensor(MAP). a bad o2 sensor will definitely cause a decrease in power and in gas mileage. you can test the o2 sensor by removing it and then using a propane torch and put the fire on the side with the holes in it and hook a voltmeter up to the sensor and it should osilate around 0.45. its alot easier doing it with 2 people

#22 ·
If your car didn't have its IACV there would be nothing controlling your idle so I DOUBT that's missing, would just be dirty at the most...guessing random things helps when you actually know what's on your car too! Replace your O2 sensor...neither would really cause a decrease in power either...O2 sensor might a little bit but nothing really noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.