Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when you say you have to "break in" a new car before you can actually floor the car??? Thanx.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why?? what does this do to the engine?
can you be more specific, as to what a brand new engine does while being broken in? Thanx..

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
basically the parts in the car are still new. seals are new, gaskets, and everything else. if you were to mash it right away something would definitly go quick. at 1000 miles i believe its reconmended you change ur oil for break in purposes. imagine if u just rebuilt an engine..you dont want to mash it ebcause you might break it and really ur not supposed to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
yep, break in periods are critical to the life of your car... for the first 1000 or so miles don't drive the car for extended periods at higher than about 3000 rpm, and don't rev it high at all, shift low (if you've got a manual), and don't mash the gas whatever you do.

lots of mechanics recommend break-in with good ol' dinosaur oil, since synthetics may leak past brand new valve seals and piston rings. also, as accordztech said change your oil at least once before 3000 miles. also keep an eye on ALL fluid levels for the first 6 months.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
AccordZtech has a good point.
I will add my .02 to the pot o gold

Basically all the parts and gears, everything metal is new. They are just now starting to be used (By you) and therefore are going to need to mesh together at high rpm which is going to make some metal shavings come off and out into your oil. Also the parts will be seating right and everything basically getting into place (Kinda)
The engine needs time to get used to being used, which is why you dont race it or beat the crap out of it.
Think of it like a pair of shoes. If you wear a new pair of shoes too long your feet hurt right?.....you get blisters sometimes....things like that. So your engine needs time to adjust to you (the driver) and to being used (instead of sitting doing nothing)

Correct me if I am wrong anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts