Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 4th gen EX for a couple of weeks now, and I love it! Its in mint condition(one owner female) and only has 71K miles. I've got a lot of plans in mind, just on a tight budget. My last car was a 93 Ford Ranger auto, and this one is a 5spd. I'll get some pics as soon as possible.

PS: Anyone ever had gas gauge problems on a 4th gen? It seems that when my tank gets a little below 1/2 the gauge goes down very rapidly and then fluctuates almost on empty. Im in class right now and wondering if I'm going to make it home!:)

Anyone from the central MA area? Like fitchburg or worcester?

·
Registered
888 Posts
slipstream909 said:
PS: Anyone ever had gas gauge problems on a 4th gen? It seems that when my tank gets a little below 1/2 the gauge goes down very rapidly and then fluctuates almost on empty. Im in class right now and wondering if I'm going to make it home!:)
Mine does that.. You'll learn to live with it. Good luck with your 4th Gen; mine has treated me nicely.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
yeah, my 4gen civic does that. Just gotta watch out when it gets really low. Use the trip odometer to keep track of how far you'v gone, and fill up towards the end. Thats what i do. later

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey, congratulations on your new accord. I had a 90 EX about 2 years ago (before my 6th gen) and I constantly had all kinds of fuel problems not just the gauge. I think its a pretty comon thing. Like black92accord said, you just have to learn to live with it. Otherwise, 5th gens are wonderful... just somethin about those cars.

anyway, good luck gettin home and welcome.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
congrats on the car. i dont have that problem with my car. its mainly the fuel pump sensor inside the gas tank...those go out sometime. jsut keep ur car gas milage in check...250mi get gas haha.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
my 5th gen gas gauge doesn't know what it's doing either. :p It works great above half a tank, but below that it goes all over the place... that's why I use the trip odometer to approximate how much I have left. Usually I do 240 miles between fillups. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
are you supposed to fill up before your tank is empty. i dont mean runnin on fumes empty, but i usually wait til my gas light is on after like 370-400 miles and then fill up with my accord. longest ive ever gone is like 450

·
Registered
903 Posts
NIRVOUSAccord said:
are you supposed to fill up before your tank is empty. i dont mean runnin on fumes empty, but i usually wait til my gas light is on after like 370-400 miles and then fill up with my accord. longest ive ever gone is like 450
are you serious? I have always been told to try not to drive with under a quater tank.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
it is true what they tell you, yet think of it this way. if you dont use the whole tank then the gas that is left there gets older and older. old deposits form and stuff. now if u try to use ur whole tank then all them deposits, even though they are bad, are removed from the gas tank so it doesnt build up. i been using my whole tank, at least trying and its ok. usually when u hit the end then u get shitty gas milage...but thats my opinion..you get it kinda??? cause i got kinda lost myself. haha.

if u guys use additives in ur gas go with a concentrate and use the whole tank. dont use them gas treatments that say "use every tank" its a rip off. i forgot where but they did a study on those, ill find it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm to to savy on what the inside of a 6th gen (or 4th or 5th) gas tank looks like or the precise workings of a fuel pump BUT, I would think that if you did what I do (fill up at 1/4 tank) you wouldn't have to worry about having 'old' gas in your tank. I would think that Honda and all car makers in general would have developed a tank and pump that uses the entire tank whether its full or near empty. This way, your constantly pulling fuel from the entire tank, not just the top 3/4s. Its kinda confusing, you know what I'm saying?

BTW, We've gotten WAY off topic. Sorry slipstream909.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
thats true to. i just try to use all my gas...so i can get an accurate gas milage reading.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
hah i aint mad at ya. im glad my car takes 87 haha. where do you live, here gas for me ranges from 1.45-1.70.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
o i didnt see it cause i usually view pages in print mode cause superhodna doesnt update fast

·
Registered
44 Posts
you guys have some good mileage cars. I only get around 275-280 before my light comes on. I'm gonna get my fuel filter changed and see how it does. Does anyone know how much gal. you have left when the light comes on?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
u get what i get...i need to change mines to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.