Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my computer since july 2001, 1.2GHZ AMD T-bird, had 128mb ram, now 384 PC133 SDRAM, well the video card that came with it was an S3 Pro Savage 16MB card, and this thing it TOTAL crap, and its built into the motherboard (PCI).

After playin evercrack for a few months I knew I needed an upgrade, well went to best buy (I work there woot), picked up an NVIDIA Geforce 2 64MB PCI card, took a little while to figure what to disable in BIOS, but got it workin, and omg, HUGE difference, man its so awesome, can support video so well, and the graphics, especially in EQ are AMAZING. Sorry just wanted to toot my own horn, but man its great stuff, peace.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
DAMN.... I'm sorry. You've had a 16mb savage card since 2001? I've been living with a geforce 3 Ti 500 since then, and I though that thing was getting a little to old.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Nathan123 said:
DAMN.... I'm sorry. You've had a 16mb savage card since 2001? I've been living with a geforce 3 Ti 500 since then, and I though that thing was getting a little to old.
Ive got the same card and i fell way outdated. :cry:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Upgrade to a Radeon 9800 PRO.... it'll make you feel better.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Iamthebull said:
Well I've had my computer since july 2001, 1.2GHZ AMD T-bird, had 128mb ram, now 384 PC133 SDRAM, well the video card that came with it was an S3 Pro Savage 16MB card, and this thing it TOTAL crap, and its built into the motherboard (PCI).

After playin evercrack for a few months I knew I needed an upgrade, well went to best buy (I work there woot), picked up an NVIDIA Geforce 2 64MB PCI card, took a little while to figure what to disable in BIOS, but got it workin, and omg, HUGE difference, man its so awesome, can support video so well, and the graphics, especially in EQ are AMAZING. Sorry just wanted to toot my own horn, but man its great stuff, peace.
I wasn't even aware they sold those anymore. Hope you didn't pay very much. Was it a Ti or MX card?

Newegg has a 256MB DDR Geforce FX 5200 card for $92. VGA CHAINTECH Geforce FX 5200 256MB DDR

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

Newegg has a 256MB DDR Geforce FX 5200 card for $92. VGA CHAINTECH Geforce FX 5200 256MB DDR [/B]
i checked out that link. i have been wanting to buy a video card but dont know what to get. every listing i see has about 100 cards it seems like. right now i have intel integrated graphics 845ge. I play movies fine, but when i play wolfenstein enemy territory online my frames per second are like 10-25. so would the geforce fx 5200 be a huge improvement over what i got or do i need to spend a little more and get something else?

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

man said:
i checked out that link. i have been wanting to buy a video card but dont know what to get. every listing i see has about 100 cards it seems like. right now i have intel integrated graphics 845ge. I play movies fine, but when i play wolfenstein enemy territory online my frames per second are like 10-25. so would the geforce fx 5200 be a huge improvement over what i got or do i need to spend a little more and get something else?
How does the game run off line? What kind of connection do you have?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

AlSi said:
I wasn't even aware they sold those anymore. Hope you didn't pay very much. Was it a Ti or MX card?

Newegg has a 256MB DDR Geforce FX 5200 card for $92. VGA CHAINTECH Geforce FX 5200 256MB DDR
man said:
Check out these reviews/links

Budget-Showdown : We examine the latest offerings from ATI and NVIDIA in the budget category to determine the best graphics card available for those not looking to spend next month's rent.

GeForceFX for the Masses: The GeForceFX 5600 and 5200 Series

NVIDIA's GeForce FX 5600/5200 Ultra Performance Review

GeForceFX 5200 & 5600 : Apples to apples performance benchmarking with the new GFFX 5200 and 5600.

When your ready to buy and what the best price check out http://www.pricewatch.com
just click on the video card link at top and then the bottom menu will change. If you aren't restricted to the sub $100 video card range then I'd reccomend spending the extra dough and getting a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB. You can get a card made by a company called PowerColor for alot less $$ then ati.
Hope this helps. Oh and BTW POWERCOLOR RADEON 9600PRO 256MB RETAIL $157.00 This will give you close to 200FPS win Unreal Tournament 2003 at 1024x768 max detail.

If you want to spend around $300 I'd say go with MSI GeForce FX5900 256MB VIVO AGP 8X Video Card or the better built but not quite as good a value Asus V9950 Ultra GeForce FX 5900 Ultra AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card Retail *** Free 2nd Day ***

If you want the absolute best and money's no thang then by all means go for the ATI Radeon 9800XT (412Mhz/730Mhz) DDR 256MB AGP8X TV & DVI-Out (Retail Box) built by ATI

They're all FAR FAR FAR better then your intel IG. No matter what you choose you should be happy. hope this helped. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

trail_boss2 said:
How does the game run off line? What kind of connection do you have?
off line in the single player version i get around 30fps. I have dsl connection at 1.5 mb down. (but my average download rate is around 140 kbps.) i've tried tweaking it according to dslreports.com, tweaked the game's config files, just can't get it right. Would more ram help me ? i only have 256mb, but can upgrade to 1 gig.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

AlSi said:
Check out these reviews/links

Budget-Showdown : We examine the latest offerings from ATI and NVIDIA in the budget category to determine the best graphics card available for those not looking to spend next month's rent.

GeForceFX for the Masses: The GeForceFX 5600 and 5200 Series

NVIDIA's GeForce FX 5600/5200 Ultra Performance Review

GeForceFX 5200 & 5600 : Apples to apples performance benchmarking with the new GFFX 5200 and 5600.

When your ready to buy and what the best price check out http://www.pricewatch.com
just click on the video card link at top and then the bottom menu will change. If you aren't restricted to the sub $100 video card range then I'd reccomend spending the extra dough and getting a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB. You can get a card made by a company called PowerColor for alot less $$ then ati.
Hope this helps. Oh and BTW POWERCOLOR RADEON 9600PRO 256MB RETAIL $157.00 This will give you close to 200FPS win Unreal Tournament 2003 at 1024x768 max detail.

If you want to spend around $300 I'd say go with MSI GeForce FX5900 256MB VIVO AGP 8X Video Card or the better built but not quite as good a value Asus V9950 Ultra GeForce FX 5900 Ultra AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card Retail *** Free 2nd Day ***

If you want the absolute best and money's no thang then by all means go for the ATI Radeon 9800XT (412Mhz/730Mhz) DDR 256MB AGP8X TV & DVI-Out (Retail Box) built by ATI

They're all FAR FAR FAR better then your intel IG. No matter what you choose you should be happy. hope this helped. :D

i am willing to spend $150. so the radeon 9600 pro is $132 and the powercolor radeon 9600 pro is $157. Is it worth the $25 more? thanks for the info by the way, really helped me narrow it down.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts

man said:
i am willing to spend $150. so the radeon 9600 pro is $132 and the powercolor radeon 9600 pro is $157. Is it worth the $25 more? thanks for the info by the way, really helped me narrow it down.
9600 xt is what you want..forget the pro

·
Registered
7,597 Posts

man said:
yes, I'd say spend as much as your willing to, you'll have the card for a while (im guessing).

Here are the specs on the 9600s
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600pro/compare.html
I'd say def. go for the Pro. You can get a XT for $167.00 but it'll be OEM not retail which means you get a 1 year instead of 3 year warranty and you send it back from the store you purchase it from instead of ATI. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320723

If you want to get close to $200 you can get the boxed retail XT http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=48634

It's up to you, the XT isn't as good a performance/price value as the Pro but it's not THAT much more expensive. so your choice. Also the PowerColor Pros have 256MB as opposed to saphire's 128MB. This will make BIG difference when the next gen games start arriving (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, swat, etc..)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

note: zipzoomfly.com (used to be googlegear.com) is a great online retailer UP there with newegg.com I do alot of shopping there and they're good with returns.;)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got my new video card! Woot!

man said:
off line in the single player version i get around 30fps. I have dsl connection at 1.5 mb down. (but my average download rate is around 140 kbps.) i've tried tweaking it according to dslreports.com, tweaked the game's config files, just can't get it right. Would more ram help me ? i only have 256mb, but can upgrade to 1 gig.
yes ram is cheap! GET MORE! i command you! :p

I've found http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategoryList.jsp?SecondCategoryCode=0111 to have some of the best/cheapest ram. Kingston's good and if you want great spend the extra dough and go with corsair. (unless your ram is 266mhz or under then go kingston)

·
Registered
801 Posts
i have a question...im not really knowlegable in the computer area..but neways
i have a HP computer, about 2 yrs old it came with a inagraded video card,(had like 16MB ram etc.. (that means i cant play UT2003)..well after opening up the pc.. i saw i need a video card that is a PCI ( ya i know that sucks major balls)
well neways i bought a ATI powerd/ PowerColor "Radeon 9000 Evil Comando" 64 MB DDR
keep in mind its PCI ..also included s/w DVD, TV out, and DVI, And CRT
i can play UT2003 but my FPS dips low as hell some where around the 10s-20s (this is with normal graphic settings and some time the most lost graphics settings.
now i have all the codex etc and all i need for movies etc. but just recently i wanted to play Lord of the rings: return of the king.
and well the game works but it staggers, basicly it takes me 1.5-2.5 secs for me to do any movement. like to swing my arm to kill etc. the game requirements i got form EA games is a 32mb card etc. why is my graphic so shitty?? is there any way to fix this problem? or if so is there any good grapics cards i can buy for a good price?? maybe around $80-125?? and the cards are some where comparable to the 9700 pro ( i know its not possiable but still) plz help
and thanks for reading this long thing.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
97AccordSE said:
i have a question...im not really knowlegable in the computer area..but neways
i have a HP computer, about 2 yrs old it came with a inagraded video card,(had like 16MB ram etc.. (that means i cant play UT2003)..well after opening up the pc.. i saw i need a video card that is a PCI ( ya i know that sucks major balls)
well neways i bought a ATI powerd/ PowerColor "Radeon 9000 Evil Comando" 64 MB DDR
keep in mind its PCI ..also included s/w DVD, TV out, and DVI, And CRT
i can play UT2003 but my FPS dips low as hell some where around the 10s-20s (this is with normal graphic settings and some time the most lost graphics settings.
now i have all the codex etc and all i need for movies etc. but just recently i wanted to play Lord of the rings: return of the king.
and well the game works but it staggers, basicly it takes me 1.5-2.5 secs for me to do any movement. like to swing my arm to kill etc. the game requirements i got form EA games is a 32mb card etc. why is my graphic so shitty?? is there any way to fix this problem? or if so is there any good grapics cards i can buy for a good price?? maybe around $80-125?? and the cards are some where comparable to the 9700 pro ( i know its not possiable but still) plz help
and thanks for reading this long thing.
If this is your card
TRUFORM, SMARTSHADER
DirectX 8.1 support & OpenGL 1.3
SMOOTHVISION
HYPER Z II, CHARISMA ENGINE II
PIXEL TAPESTRY II, VIDEO IMMERSION II
Dual Display Support
Integrated Transformation, Clipping, lighting. Twin Cache Architecture , SuperScalar Rendering.
Single-Pass Multi-texturing , True Color Rendering.
Triangle Setup Engine, Texture Cache
Bilinear/Trilinear Filtering
Line & Edge Anti-aliasing , Full-Screen Anti-aliasing
Texture Compositing, Texture Decompression, Specular Highlights, Perspectively Correct Texture Mapping, Mip-Mapping, Z-buffering and Double-buffering,
Emboss,Dot Product 3 & Environment bump mapping.
Spherical, Dual-Paraboloid and Cubic environment mapping.
Fog effects, texture lighting, video textures, reflections, shadows, spotlights, LOD
biasing and texture morphing

First update the drivers http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
you want the CATALYST drivers for whatever os your using
OS -> Graphics Driver -> RADEON family

if your just using the drivers it came with they're helluva old and not fully optimized.

also, how much memory do you have and what's your processor/speed? What other programs do you have running in the background? Anitvirus is a good thing, but if your running norton systemworks or some sh! that eats resources like nobody's business. It might help alot if you made a seperate login account for just games and cut out all the unneccesary progs. from loading. If you have room for more memory I'd say buy the biggest MB stick you can find that's the right kind for your motherboard. What's the model # of the HP?

The other possibility is that you have a virus(es) and/or trojan horse(s) running in the background eating up your clock cycles. Alot of games now are CPU intesive too. If you dont already have one go out and get yourself a antivirus. CompUSA had norton antivirus 2004 for $10 after rebates this week. Scan your system.
D/L Ad Aware
spybot search & destroy
they search for adware and spyware.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thank you for your reply. well yes that is the graphics card i have,
BTW i have windows XP home ed, on a HP pavilion 322n which has 1.4GHz AMD, 256mb ram ( i got a stick of a 512 so its now 760+mb ram) i do not have any Anitvirus programs running.

i will try to update my drivers cuz i never did ever sinse i got the graphicscard about 6-8 months ago.
thank you very much for the help :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts