Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i had an ACT 6-puck and Xtreme pp put in as well as spoon flywheel and JDM 4.7FD. I Drove around for about 250 miles to let everything set in good. Now im starting to get slight gear whine. I have heard stories about the ATS 4.9 whining but never the jdm. Is this Normal??? did i not let it break in long enough or something. What can the whining lead too, is it bad? Is there something i should do different in the future?

:confused:

· Registered
267 Posts
twistedteg00 said:
Last week i had an ACT 6-puck and Xtreme pp put in as well as spoon flywheel and JDM 4.7FD. I Drove around for about 250 miles to let everything set in good. Now im starting to get slight gear whine. I have heard stories about the ATS 4.9 whining but never the jdm. Is this Normal??? did i not let it break in long enough or something. What can the whining lead too, is it bad? Is there something i should do different in the future?

:confused:
maybe i got da-ja-vu, but did you post this on HT:confused:

hehehe :D

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Well I have no idea about the JDM 4.785 but, my ATS 4.929 whines like a Supercharger, kinda cool sounding sometimes after you get used to it.

The difference is amazing and well worth it though.

You know that you should have chosen the 4.929 right?

Good luck,

A.;)

· Registered
195 Posts
when i had my car there was a leak on my transmission side axle. i didnt notice it until my gears started to whine. The seal had been cut 1/4 inch (the tranny axle seal). A lot of the fluid had been coming out. So i replaced the seal and changed the tranny fluid. ---Its something to look at.

· Registered
21 Posts
Is it a good idea to put a higher FD on a LS tranny? I dont' want to spend the money to get a new SI or GSR tranny. How much does it cost anyway? Hopefully it is cheaper than a tranny.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
pyitr1287 said:
whats so great about the ats 4.9 compared to oem type r final drive? is that related to top speed?
There is a BIG difference... That You WILL notice.

Let's just say that the 4.929 when mated to an N/A tuned car like the ITR accelerates faster and put's more power to the ground.

There is more about the ATS 4.929 listed in the Type-R forum. Please SEARCH there for it,,, if you are interested.

The ATS FD is designed for course driving and allowing you to get into the ITR's upper RPM power producing range faster and for powering out of corners where the stock 4.40 lags...

Top speed with the ATS gear Will be lowered slightly but, the benefits are well worth it in many peoples opinions, including my own.

A.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Sintegra said:
Is it a good idea to put a higher FD on a LS tranny? I dont' want to spend the money to get a new SI or GSR tranny. How much does it cost anyway? Hopefully it is cheaper than a tranny.
"A higher numerically final drive will give your more torque multipliction in all gears and will raise your engine rpm's in all gears. Higher numerically final drive = better acceleration, lower top speed, higher engine revs, lower gas mileage."
*quote that one from Tuan, he helped me out when I was shoppin for the 4.785FD

Heres the ratios:

*LS/GS_R w/ 4.785 FD:
1st: 3.513 - 3.230
2nd: 2.066 - 2.105
3rd: 1.479 - 1.458
4th: 1.124 - 1.107
5th: 0.856 - 0.848
*The LS and GS_R have 1-2 same gear, ratios get tighter
at 3-5

LS: work it out, (LS gear x 4.785) / 4.4=X or (Gear ratio x FD): 1st->5th

GSR 4.4 FD: 14.212, 8.360, 5.984, 4.5496, 3.463

ITR 4.4 FD: 14.212, 9.262, 6.415, 4.871, 3.731

GSR 4.7 FD: 15.456. 9.092, 6.508, 4.948, 3.765

Sintegra said:
Is it a good idea to put a higher FD on a LS tranny?

*Tuan
Its a GS_R(4.4) vs ITR(4.7) yet you get the picture....the R pulls harder. Now if the 4.7FD was installed in a LS

Sintegra said:
How much does it cost anyway? Hopefully it is cheaper than a tranny.
Costs 3-400 for used FD...and 6-900 for a brand new OEM FD

Item# 23914-p80 e30

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.